Alko friction pads

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Purchased a new set to replace mine, same part number, same size, except the new ones come with 6 washers
for adjustment which are not on current hitch, the old ones also had an 'O' ring which is not supplied with the new ones. When new ones are in position they can be pushed out with a finger, obviously they wont fall out but is this right? Assume the 'O' ring gave them a tight fit. Help going away Wednesday!

Ps cant use old 'O' rings as they are perished and split.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks but followed the instructions and the new ones simply dont click back into place
as said the old ones did

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I know it sounds like a daft question, but have you pushed them in far enough to get them seated properly. As for the washers, never had to use them. The O Rings do keep the pads in place. Many people split them when they tap out the old pads.

Would help if you said which version hitchhead you have. Im happy to pop mine (AKS3004) out in the morning to check for you, van going for px on Wednesday so no problem doing it.

Re the o-rings, Im pretty sure you could get a set off the shelf from Indispension, should be one near you. You could also try the Al-ko service centres for a replacement set, see
Al-Ko Service Centres

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Should also have said, your hitchhead has a tell tale mark on it for the pads condition, the washers are to compensate for any play in getting the marks centered.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
I know it sounds like a daft question, but have you pushed them in far enough to get them seated properly. As for the washers, never had to use them. The O Rings do keep the pads in place. Many people split them when they tap out the old pads.

Would help if you said which version hitchhead you have. Im happy to pop mine (AKS3004) out in the morning to check for you, van going for px on Wednesday so no problem doing it.

Re the o-rings, Im pretty sure you could get a set off the shelf from Indispension, should be one near you. You could also try the Al-ko service centres for a replacement set, see
Al-Ko Service Centres

Yes pushed them in and even connected to tow ball and pushed the lever down, it is the same as yours AKS3004. the conclusion is that the O rings are not supplied with the new parts,will try and source new today. Thanks for the offer of popping yours out but no need,have taken mine out before to clean them and had no problems. Many Thanks Thingy.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its def the O rings causing your problem, it seems they can split when tapping the old pads out, and I have heard a few people have put a smear of multi grease on the shafts to make removal easier. Personally, I think using brake cleaner to clean the dust out the recesses should do the trick without grease.

Before anyone jumps on me for the grease, it goes without saying that extreme care should be taken not to contamninate the pads, personally, I just wouldnt do it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Seems like the O rings are not common,rang local indespension branch, dont do them, rang my mobile service engineer never seen it before!!!! Rang local caravan accessory shop , they have a selection of both metric and imperial O rings so will have to try and get there later today and do a match as they are not Alko specific.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Kev, I've replaced several over the years, never fitted (or seen) any other bits than the pads. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you didn't get the 'o' rings. you will still get proper loading and stabilising effect when you clamp them to the tow ball, for towing.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Firkle said:

Thanks Firkle as Thingy said they are the ones, and looking it up on uk flea bay the description is as follows;

Alko 2004/3004 Stabiliser Hitch Friction Pad Retaining Ring

If you are having a problem losing, or your side friction pads keep falling out of your Alko 2004/3004 stabiliser hitch, look down the recess where the pad fits and you should see this little 'O' Ring. If the 'O' ring is there check it is not split or damaged, it may be missing completely in which case you will see the groove where it should be.

It is quite common for these to get damaged or come out when changing pads and without the ring the pads will not stay in. You do not need a new side lever this simple 'O' ring will cure your problem.

So we have learnt they are part of the hitch and not the friction pads, and looks like they are not suppose to come out anyway, perhaps thats why they are not part of the kit and I was unlucky that they came out anyway.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its because the pads get tight in the recess. Once they are out, use a bit of brake cleaner spray in there. Next time you change them, they will pop out easier.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Well back on the road, after skiving off work for a couple of hours but not quite as planned,
went to dealers twice, first trip the rinds were too small and the second trip they were just too big, so managed
to re-use the originals for now and will order the correct alko ones, they are tight this time and dont move so
off tomorrow as planned. Thanks for all your help.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Glad you got sorted, have a good trip.

Thanks Thingy, have a drink on me

aawineglasse3s.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Kev, I've replaced several over the years, never fitted (or seen) any other bits than the pads. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you didn't get the 'o' rings. you will still get proper loading and stabilising effect when you clamp them to the tow ball, for towing.

Thanks Sir Gab, have sussed now that they are inside the "tunnel" and are not suppose to come out when removing the pads, so that is probably why they are not seen very often, I did ask myself why the engineer I use didnt know any thing about them but think all is explained now. He's proberbly only removed a limited amount.
Perhaps I should give him a lesson ;)

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
The Alko stabiliser fitted to our van has given us sterling service for many years and while I've always checked that a nice amount of 'green' was showing on the hitch handle when hitching up, I've never actually removed the pads for a visual inspection. But because of this thread, I thought I'd give ours the once-over - and I'm very glad I did. When I removed them (a simple 2 minute job) you could see that both had developed a hard, black glaze on the concave surface of the pads. After removing the glaze with some emery cloth and giving the whole thing a good cleaning with brake cleaner, the friction surface looks like new again.
I'm going to add this to my list of things to check during the van's annual service from now on. Many thanks everyone.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
DickieFix said:
After removing the glaze with some emery cloth and giving the whole thing a good cleaning with brake cleaner, the friction surface looks like new again.
I'm going to add this to my list of things to check during the van's annual service from now on. Many thanks everyone.

Are you supposed to do that? Is not the glaze the normal bedded in state you would expect to see? Do Al-Ko tell us to break that bedded surface?

Without chasing up the Al-Ko service manual to check what they say, my thoughts is that would be exactly what I would expect to see in a correctly bedded friction pad.

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I see the friction pads as working exactly the same way as the brakes on a car - a friction material against steel - and in the 40 years plus I've been servicing my own cars, I've always deglazed both the brake drums and the shoes or pads whenever I've noticed them in this state.
I was careful not to take more off than was necessary to restore the surface to a matt finish and I think there is a difference between a smooth, shiny finish and a glazed one - these pads were definitely glazed.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "
Are you supposed to do that? Is not the glaze the normal bedded in state you would expect to see? "

Yes the glaze should be removed and any decent engineer should do that during a service.
The same applies to the brake shoes, they should be deglazed during a service.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts