AlKo Spare wheel carrier

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, Newbie here, just bought a 7 year old Sterling, our first van. I'm also in to Classic cars, so used to towing vehicles on trailers, appreciate caravans are different so advice welcome.

Back to the thread topic, although the tyres were replaced by the previous owner 4 years ago, I'm going to replace them, and as the spare on an Alko carrier is as old as the van that's getting replaced to. First I fitted Kojack jacking points, which took all of 5 mins to do both sides, and then started the battle of getting the spare out..... if I have ever seen a design that I wouldn't want to rely on in an emergency; the Alko spare wheel carrier ticks quite a lot of the boxes. A Google search and reading threads on this forum confirmed mine wasn't an isolated view.

Whilst with a bit of grunt and the van jacked up high with the Kojack bottle jack I could get the spare wheel off, trying to "close" the carrier (without a wheel) was clearly not going to happen easily. I took the whole carrier off, and what was immediately obvious was that it wasn't square, (promotes binding) so I slackened the bridging bracket and rectified that. The next thing was that the narrower rods had clearly been greased at some point, but the grease had gone sticky, combined with the odd bit of corrosion on the narrower rods, meant that they were really binding in the plastic bushes.

Clearly the whole thing when manufactured has been electroplated, however, even with the added grease mine had corroded patches. At this stage I was pondering ditching the whole carrier, however I thought I'll try and make it work.

So I removed it, cleaned and degreased it all up with brake cleaner, removed any corrosion with various grades of wet & dry, finishing with an 800 grit. To help keep it square I have fabricated a second bridging bracket that sits at the end attached by split pins, and have lubricated the whole thing with a dry PTFE spray, the rods now close individually with very little force. ( I think a big issue with the design is that there is too much flex, and this promotes binding)

When refitting , I have substituted "R" clips rather than split pins, so if it does seize up on the side of the road the whole thing can be removed without tools , and quickly.

I'll check that it keeps free by testing every 3 months, who knows I may end up ditching that whole thing, but thought I'd at least give it a try, what I haven't seen on any of the forums is the tested fix, does it exist?

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveA1 and Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fortunately I have never needed to use an Alko spare wheel carrier in anger, but one of the main drawbacks is if the caravan wheel on the side with the carrier has deflated, it can make it difficult to get at the spare. I always tended to carry the spare inside the caravan, suitably bagged and protected, and then used it as a caravan step.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Ukdave, I like your persistence with the Alko carrier, I done very similar with two previous caravans, and then. Finally with my present one, removed the carrier and carry our spare wheel under our fixed bed. Imagine trying to change he wheel in the rain, on a dark layby, let alone being on. French road.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Another piece of caravan junk that gets in the way of motor movers and other stuff. Never used mine . My AWS struggled to refit it after February service. At the road side , motorway or whatever I just can’t imagine trying to remove the spare. Good old Green Flag👍
Dave. Welcome to the Forum. A great diy guide to making the cradle work.
I hope the PCv Editors read your script and print it as the letter of the month in a future edition👏👏

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Despite maintaining my Alko wheel carrier when I actually had a puncture it wasn’t easy to extract the wheel. So I decided to ditch the assembly. After that I carried the wheel in the caravan. During travel it was lodged near the door and easily accessible. On site it went under the van secured using a motorcycle security chain. The other advantage was that the arrangement was much safer when travelling abroad. As I wouldn’t be extracting the spare wheel from the carrier into the traffic flow.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Fortunately I have never needed to use an Alko spare wheel carrier in anger, but one of the main drawbacks is if the caravan wheel on the side with the carrier has deflated, it can make it difficult to get at the spare. I always tended to carry the spare inside the caravan, suitably bagged and protected, and then used it as a caravan step.
Actually does not matter which side and whether a single or twin axle as the mechanic found out when we had a blow out on the offside a few years ago. The tyre was not even 2 years old and had tyre pressure checked prior to that journey.

Although it was one of the offside tyres and still having one offside tyre holding up the caravan on that side, it still took the mechanic 1/2 hour to remove the tyre. After that episode we had the carrier removed and carried the spare tyre under the bed. When we traded in the caravan, we gave the dealer the carrier to refit.

In contrast the carrier on the BPW chassis on the new caravan was a doddle to access. Also the carrier on our current caravan which has an Alko chassis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts