Alko wheel lock receiver

May 31, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I'm sure this question will have been asked before but I'm new on here and can't seem to find a definite answer.
I've just ordered a brand new caravan and I've been reading about alko fitting 'security screw' in the lock receiver which needs a tool only available from them to remove. Which they won't supply unless you register a new lock.
Are they still doing this or not ? Was it just for a period of time while they were in legal dispute with Bulldog over the 'Max' lock which was some years ago?
Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi welcome to the Forum. There was a recent thread on a similar issue and Alko supplied the OP with the piece to remove the security fastener from the receiver. Try a search over the last four months. If you have a new lock/lozenge you could register it anyway. Or even a pre owned one can be registered assuming the previous owner hasn’t still got it registered.

Here it is and good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Never heard of this security screw in the lock receiver. There is a yellow dust cap easily removed with screwdriver. Doesn't the new caravan come standard with ALKO locks?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi welcome to the Forum. There was a recent thread on a similar issue and Alko supplied the OP with the piece to remove the security fastener from the receiver. Try a search over the last four months. If you have a new lock/lozenge you could register it anyway. Or even a pre owned one can be registered assuming the previous owner hasn’t still got it registered.

Here it is

I think that refers to the actual lock in the wheel lock mechanism and not a lock in the receiver itself as that would stick out of the receiver. When you fit the lock, you screw in a bolt that fits into the receiver. You then insert the actual lock behind it and lock it. The lock does not lock into the receiver.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that refers to the actual lock in the wheel lock mechanism and not a lock in the receiver itself as that would stick out of the receiver. When you fit the lock, you screw in a bolt that fits into the receiver. You then insert the actual lock behind it and lock it. The lock does not lock into the receiver.

Having had Alko wheel lock I know very well how they work. But if you read the links that I have posted you will see what the problem was in those links was the security fastener inserted by Alko into the receiver. Alko sent the OP a removal tool. It wasa recent thread only back in April.

Post 29 of the second link shows the piece that Alko supplied to him.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
When Alko first introduced the lozzenge wheel lock into the chassis mounted receiver in 2008, it was initially covered by the yellow cap. Then another manufacturer (Bulldog or Saracen?) released a plate based lock that fitted the receiver. Alko didn't take that well, their receiver being used by a 3rd party lock, so they introduced the security cap. When you bought the Alko lock, they would send you a key to undo the secure cap, so that the lock would fit and the yellow cap be used. Alko and the other manufacturer settled their differences (through some financial mechanism) and the secure cap went away. Since then, they have only used the yellow cap - unless it's back?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ask the dealer, ater all, that is what the handover is for, to ask any questions about anything you are not sure of.
The same goes for all the equipment in the van,ASK questions, insist on seeing everything works correctly, dont just arrive, hitch the van up and leave, expect to take up to a couple of hours for the handover.
The salesman may not like it, but it is your money you are parting with and you are entitled to a full explanation of everything in and on the van.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Following Damian’s post check the noseweight as an empty van May have a noseweight higher than the cars maximum limit. Alternatively you don’t want noseweight too light. When I collected my last van I also took two 10 litre water containers plus a 6kg Calorlite cylinder at 10 kg full weight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts