Am aloud to be thick

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just posted on another caravan forum and was lambasted about
my grammar and spelling. I left school; with no calcifications,, but try as { may I sill get slapped down . Sorry if I seem sorry for myself but it does hit home. People usually under stand what I say. Who are these people who think they are god

, ,
t

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Just posted on another caravan forum and was lambsted about
my grammer and spelling. I left school; with no califications,, but try as may I sill get slapped down.l Sorry if .[ seem sorry for for myself but it does hit home. People usaaly under stann what I say. Wh yo are these people who think tjey are go
d.
Their criticism says more about the grammar nazi's than it does about you Dave, tell them to get lost.
We don't allow criticism of spelling or grammar on this forum, if your comments can be basically understood that's good enough.
I left school myself at 15 years old with no qualifications, and a strong Black Country accent, if people think that I'm an uneducated oaf I don't care.
Never let anything hold you back.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Try if possible Dave to not lower yourself to these ignorant idiots, as I get older I have to ask my wife, how to spell this word or that word.
My brother's 10 year younger than myself were brought up with phonetic spelling which went out of favour a few years later but left them with atrocious spelling.
My eldest son, hates text speak. ie, cu, spk mro, etc.
I like these paragraphs where the words are spelt incorrectly but use the correct letter but you can still understand the meaning.
As long as Sindy knows what you mean, who cares.
A&E.

Reactions: Mel and DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Feeling a bit fragle at the moment. Always try to be correct but, when these people hit home, when I am trying to be, ------ well I'll leave it there.

Reactions: Hutch
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
|My Lad was taught phonetically like me he has a dictionary near by. He is now a projects manager, for a local firm, earning more money than I ever dreamed of. And can't spell.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's long been policy on most internet forums not to criticise contributors' spelling or grammar - although where I've been a moderator I've "silently" corrected some mistakes where it affects the context of a posting and/or makes subsequent searching easier.

With an increase in internet use from smart phones with predictive text, it has become more common for postings to contain spelling/grammar errors - but nevertheless should be ignored.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If forum members deliberately use 'text speak' (txt spk) I sometimes correct it or warn the person concerned about it because it makes posts unnecessarily difficult to read, it's an idle way to communicate and we're not teenagers.
Genuine spelling or grammatical errors are not criticised or corrected here.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just posted on another caravan forum and was lambasted about
my grammar and spelling. I left school; with no calcifications,, but try as may I sill get slapped down.l Sorry if .[ seem sorry for for myself but it does hit home. People usally under stand what I say. Who yare these people who think tjey are god

, ,
t
The most important thing is how a person behaves and treats other people, this does not need paper qualifications just basic human decency, If these people act like they are better than you just because of a piece of paper then they are not worth your time...........a decent honest hard working person who cares for others is worth their weight in gold, Do unto others as they would do to you, something to live by and do not give them the time of day,

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
The most important thing is how a person behaves and treats other people, this does not need paper qualifications just basic human decency, If these people act like they are better than you just because of a piece of paper then they are not worth your time...........a decent honest hard working person who cares for others is worth their weight in gold, Do unto others as they would do to you, something to live by and do not give them the time of day,

Amazingly well constructed response Beachball.
Perhaps sadly that "piece of paper" has currency in the wide world but, as you hint, not an important issue on a caravan forum!

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Dave.....
I can understand your messages perfectly.
No problem for me and probably others on here with spelling or grammer.
You keep posting mate.
👍👍

Reactions: DaveA1
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would not criticise any other poster's English. As long as what they say is understandable it is not my job to correct or disrespect them. Some posts can be very short on detail and we need more to deal with there posts, but if so it should be a friendly request.
To be honest my spelling is not that great but the computer does help when this happens but the key board does also seem to miss the odd letter which is annoying when it accepts what is there as it is another acceptable word even if it does not fit the sentence.
I would hope that any person disrespecting any posts for the English or spelling will be dealt with by the moderators.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I would not criticise any other poster's English. As long as what they say is understandable it is not my job to correct or disrespect them. Some posts can be very short on detail and we need more to deal with there posts, but if so it should be a friendly request.
To be honest my spelling is not that great but the computer does help when this happens but the key board does also seem to miss the odd letter which is annoying when it accepts what is there as it is another acceptable word even if it does not fit the sentence.
I would hope that any person disrespecting any posts for the English or spelling will be dealt with by the moderators.

I think the message is that most people are asking for clarity in a post. Grammar and spelling are important factors in any language - without them there would be no developed language.

This is a caravan forum and members will be a "mixed ability" group when it comes to the specifics of expressing themselves in English.

If the post is clear neither spelling nor grammar require adjustment and anyone pointing out errors that have no bearing on the "message" are not contributing to the general atmosphere of the forum.

You are dead right about the way "predictive text" or a "spell checkers" can introduce "errors" .

I would prefer to spell "criticise" as you do (criticise) but you may well find "criticize" is the preferred "spell checker" spelling! Does it matter? Everyone knows that you are saying! American spellings are often used in software.

Most errors can be attributed to the "spell checker". I'm sure your use of "there" rather than "their" in sentence three will have gone unnoticed because the word used is correct in a different context.

In the world of a caravan forum clarity rules OK! That's not to say that both grammar and spelling have no place in written English - they certainly do.

A long time ago - think it was in this forum - a member responded to a post with direct criticism of the spelling and grammar used. Nothing about the "message" in the post.

I admit that it gave me great delight to be able to "quote" this post and point out both spelling and grammatical errors within it. That's the one and only time I've felt the need. I can't for the life of me remember the response but I suspect it would be to blame the software.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The way I see it Dave, is that the folks on the other forum must have wretched, dismal, sad and petty lives if they think it is OK to criticise the spelling and grammar of others. I feel sorry for them because, unlike us Woosies and others on here, they will never get to share a beer and a laugh with a great chap like you.
Furthermore neither you nor I, nor other PC forumites would treat others the way you have been treated which just makes us lot the better people.
Chin up
Mel

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I'm sure many of you will have come across this at sometime or other. It says it all really!

I Have A Spelling Checker
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plain lee marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

A chequer is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme
It helps me right awl stiles two reed
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your please two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.​

!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes a poster has excellent command of the English language and has no issue with spelling or grammar, but sometimes they make a mistake that comes across as humorous.
I don't see any harm in mentioning it in a humorous way as some of us like myself appreciate being corrected. I am bilingual and sometimes my grammar or spelling can be poor and come across the wrong way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts