Am I being Staked out?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just five minutes ago our door bell rang, a lad about 11 - 12 years old wearing dirty clothes asked me if I could help him fix his bike,
asked him what was wrong with it and he said his brakes dont work and his peddles dont turn.................um told him I know nothing about bikes.
so what does he do.................. gets on his bike and peddles away!!!!
Im thinking something not right here, caravan is on the drive, was he sent to check what locks we had? or may be Im just being paranoid!!
It now has the Kia and works van parked in front of it. Got the hitch lock and alko wheel lock, am I safe?

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately yes it seems very much like the toerag was checking you out.
Apart from the caravan I be concerned about your vehicles too. Thefts of and from vehicles on driveways, particularly those with keyless entry, has been going on for years. Works vans are always a target but where I live there has actually been a recent spate of late model KIA thefts in particular.
Most people leave their car keys near the front door so, somebody with the right scanner, which apparently can be purchased easily online, just needs to get close enough to read the key code which is constantly being transmitted by the key. This reading is then instantly transmitted it to someone standing near the vehicle with a receiver. The vehicle is unlocked, started and driven away while the keys are still in the house. It literally takes seconds.
The vehicles are then dismantled and the parts sold on to satisfy the demand caused by the global parts shortage. And there lies the problem in the form of the person who would buy parts unobtainable from legitimate sources but readily available in the pub, from faceless online sites or dodgy breakers yards. They are the cause of the demand which criminals are all too happy to supply.

My son is an electrician and some scumbags broke into his van years ago when he was an apprentice. They took his tools which he'd accumulated over time and cost a fortune to replace.
Many people relish the opportunity to buy tools which might be worth £300 for £25 off some geezer down the pub. What they fail to realize is that what they're buying has cost some hard working individual the means to do their job.
Moral rant over.

I now keep my keys in a tin box in the middle of the house but I've ordered a couple of Faraday bags from Amazon to shield the keys from scanners. Another reason why I dislike keyless entry. Manufacturers are aware of this vulnerability but won't do anything about it. At the very least there should be a method of turning the key off so it's only transmitting when required or do away with keyless entry altogether.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just five minutes ago our door bell rang, a lad about 11 - 12 years old wearing dirty clothes asked me if I could help him fix his bike,
asked him what was wrong with it and he said his brakes dont work and his peddles dont turn.................um told him I know nothing about bikes.
so what does he do.................. gets on his bike and peddles away!!!!
Im thinking something not right here, caravan is on the drive, was he sent to check what locks we had? or may be Im just being paranoid!!
It now has the Kia and works van parked in front of it. Got the hitch lock and alko wheel lock, am I safe?
Hi Kev you might need this Maypole MP9735 Hitch Security Post we have use one in the past when we stored our caravan at home for extra security

Attachments

• 385detail.jpg
    385detail.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
We keep the Jeep keys in two pouches. One for daily use and the other for the spare keys.

Have you actually tested the pouches as there are reports that some fail to shield the keys after a period of time? How a pouch can stop working I don't know but the reports are there.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you actually tested the pouches as there are reports that some fail to shield the keys after a period of time? How a pouch can stop working I don't know but the reports are there.
No I have not, but they are supposed to be a reputable brand. Keys are not kept anywhere near front door and no way can they come in the back as 6' fence with electric wiring at top. Latter is to stop one of the cats going out, but will give you a nasty bite. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We keep our remote fobs for the Hyundai in small pouches, brand is 'Defender' bought on line , and check them every 2 weeks so far so good, until I went to get in the car with the fobs in the pouches in my pocket, couldn't work out why I couldn't open the door, Senior moment.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Slight deviation from topic but we keep our contactless cards in blocking sleeves and they do work as I tested them by trying to read them from my tablet. We started this after my wife went to use her card but had it in her hand with her purse and the machine read the card in her purse and not the one in her hand.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
We keep our remote fobs for the Hyundai in small pouches, brand is 'Defender' bought on line , and check them every 2 weeks so far so good, until I went to get in the car with the fobs in the pouches in my pocket, couldn't work out why I couldn't open the door, Senior moment.

That's the make I've ordered. Good to know you're happy with them.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It sounds very suspicious and I would be wary and take extra precautions if you can. The main problem though is although the caravan could be a target the car house and anything else there of value could be the target.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev, Ask all your neighbours to keep an extra watch out. May be even consider sleeping in the Mistral for a few nights, with the dog and a hefty scaffold bar😎Hope it remains safe👍

Reactions: Gagakev

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
More than likely they wanted Kev out of the house so that an accomplice could enter to do some shopping while Kev was distracted.

That was my thought: a distraction burglary. Hope nothing comes of it and they have moved on. May be worth a phone call via 101 or email to the local constabulary. They won’t act on one piece of info but if others are reporting suspicious activity it might add up to useful intelligence.
Mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
That was my thought: a distraction burglary. Hope nothing comes of it and they have moved on. May be worth a phone call via 101 or email to the local constabulary. They won’t act on one piece of info but if others are reporting suspicious activity it might add up to useful intelligence.
Mel
Mags was in the house, brave man if he wanted to face the wrath of Maggie!!!

On a serious note, its been on my mind all day, why do these people have to invade our space, truly believed it wouldn't happen in this area, how wrong can one be.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev, Ask all your neighbours to keep an extra watch out. May be even consider sleeping in the Mistral for a few nights, with the dog and a hefty scaffold bar😎Hope it remains safe👍
spoke to a few of the neighbours today and learnt they have indeed set up camp at the local park again this year, neighbour said there were at least 30 vans down there.

On another note talking to sister in law her sister has just bought there first van, had it 3 weeks and it got stolen from a farm where they stored it. That was 6 miles from us, out in he country side towards Dartmoor.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
spoke to a few of the neighbours today and learnt they have indeed set up camp at the local park again this year, neighbour said there were at least 30 vans down there.

On another note talking to sister in law her sister has just bought there first van, had it 3 weeks and it got stolen from a farm where they stored it. That was 6 miles from us, out in he country side towards Dartmoor.
Bad news. Such a shame so early on in ownership. Sleep in her Kev until the people move on

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately yes it seems very much like the toerag was checking you out.
Apart from the caravan I be concerned about your vehicles too. Thefts of and from vehicles on driveways, particularly those with keyless entry, has been going on for years. Works vans are always a target but where I live there has actually been a recent spate of late model KIA thefts in particular.
Most people leave their car keys near the front door so, somebody with the right scanner, which apparently can be purchased easily online, just needs to get close enough to read the key code which is constantly being transmitted by the key. This reading is then instantly transmitted it to someone standing near the vehicle with a receiver. The vehicle is unlocked, started and driven away while the keys are still in the house. It literally takes seconds.
The vehicles are then dismantled and the parts sold on to satisfy the demand caused by the global parts shortage. And there lies the problem in the form of the person who would buy parts unobtainable from legitimate sources but readily available in the pub, from faceless online sites or dodgy breakers yards. They are the cause of the demand which criminals are all too happy to supply.

My son is an electrician and some scumbags broke into his van years ago when he was an apprentice. They took his tools which he'd accumulated over time and cost a fortune to replace.
Many people relish the opportunity to buy tools which might be worth £300 for £25 off some geezer down the pub. What they fail to realize is that what they're buying has cost some hard working individual the means to do their job.
Moral rant over.

I now keep my keys in a tin box in the middle of the house but I've ordered a couple of Faraday bags from Amazon to shield the keys from scanners. Another reason why I dislike keyless entry. Manufacturers are aware of this vulnerability but won't do anything about it. At the very least there should be a method of turning the key off so it's only transmitting when required or do away with keyless entry altogether.
Two defender pouches now ordered, not much in the work van in the way of tools, prob do more damage to the van trying to get in!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On the way to a pub we go to every Friday, The Rose and Crown Ivinghoe, we go past a Wintering site for travelling folk. After spring /summer this place clear out and many leaflets are put through letter boxes, not pushed all the way through.
As a local street watch we all make sure the letter boxes are empty so as not to show familiy are not at home.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Hopefully they can claim off their insurance. I hate thieving scum bags!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly there is a section of society that chooses to live a lifestyle based on preying on other people, it is a lifestyle choice, and we need to be aware and alert to them, however there are limits to what you can do, I know a friend who confronted a young man who promptly sped off in his car turned round and came back and ran my friend down. Driver went to prison, and my friend is still unable to work full time after 2 years. While I would not like to lose my caravan or any other things that I had worked hard for, I am happy to rely on our insurance company to cover the damage/loss. I know I will end up out of pocket one way or another, but as several have said , if they want it they will take it. Our caravan is behind double gates, and 2 metre high brick walls, all the usual locks and alarms, and one cctv camera from the house covers it, but I am sure there is a way around all that, just hope it deters the opportunist, and they go elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts