Amazon and Visa Credit Cards

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Amazon are advising customers that from later January 2022 they will no longer accept payment by Visa credit card. Visa debit, other bank debit and other credit cards will be okay. But our bank is also dropping Visa debit in early January 2022. Pity as our Visa Credit is low interest 8% app, and with a very good delay period until payment is required. Better load it up to bear the brunt of Christmas expenditure then.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We don"t own any Visa Credit cards so our visa debit card from our bank should be ok at Amazon i find it mind boggling myself

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand that Mastercard hoisted its fees earlier this year due to increased interchange costs with Europe. Visa have hoisted theirs fivefold ostensibly for the same reasons. But some reports say that Mastercard reached an agreement with Amazon whereas Visa have not. Whatever happens it's going to be the customer that pays in the end, either through higher costs or reduced competition or choice.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We use Amazon Prime a lot. They obviously hold our MasterCard details.No way will I give them or anyone else my main bank account details for future debiting. Sorry I just don’t trust the system. At least with a credit card we get extra protection eg Section 75 CC Act.

Reactions: Thingy and JezzerB
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I would be surprised if Amazon dropped M/C as their own card is provided by M/C!

I must say the email was poor - it could easily have been a scam. I only found it was true by an item on the BBC News web pages.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would be surprised if Amazon dropped M/C as their own card is provided by M/C!

I must say the email was poor - it could easily have been a scam. I only found it was true by an item on the BBC News web pages.
I looked at the “deep” email address plus it came with my full name which no scams have done thus far. The links only took you to outside of your own Amazon sign in and I use 2FV but I’m biding my time. But as like Dusty it will be another credit card not bank debit card.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many people buy goods on Amazon and spread the cost of 3 - 6 months and the amount is automatically deducted from the credit card. This will give Amazon one very big headache to resolve so they will need to continue with Visa for quite awhile. TBH I think it is a storm in a tea cup taking into consideration the huge profits Amazon make annually.
Kicking out Visa will cost them a lot of money as not every one wants the hassle of changing to a Mastercard. We have a no fee card for overseas transactions which has saved us a lot of money over the years.
The cynic in me thinks it is because Amazon want everyone to switch to the Amazon Mastercard which they advertise on a regular basis.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just been on the PM prog on R4.
Seems that under EU law the CC companies can only make a 0.3% servicing charge. As we are now no longer under EU law and all Amazon UK transactions are processed in the EU, Visa are making the most of it and have increased the charge to 1.5%. There is also a currency exchange cost as well to convert GBP into Euros, so its a double whammy.
Could still be a game of seeing who blinks first!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't panic - I suspect this is Amazon putting pressure on Visa to reduce its credit card charges.
I think this is true. If the situation does not change then will may lose our business as I am not prepared to use my bank card and I think many people will be the same, including most of our family. I suspect it is just Amazon trying to lever an extra buck or too by paying less for the service than other traders.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think this is true. If the situation does not change then will may lose our business as I am not prepared to use my bank card and I think many people will be the same, including most of our family. I suspect it is just Amazon trying to lever an extra buck or too by paying less for the service than other traders.
I would not be happy about using my debit card on Amazon. We subscribe to Amazon Prime using our credit card and I suspect millions of others do the same so if only a fraction decided not use a debit card or Mastercard, Amazon will be losing a lot of money. I can hear other retailers cheering and hoping that Amazon will cave in. I wonder how much Amazon pays in UK taxes?

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would not be happy about using my debit card on Amazon. We subscribe to Amazon Prime using our credit card and I suspect millions of others do the same so if only a fraction decided not use a debit card or Mastercard, Amazon will be losing a lot of money. I can hear other retailers cheering and hoping that Amazon will cave in. I wonder how much Amazon pays in UK taxes?

Time will tell as to who will cave in. But surely other retailers will be cheering Amazon on. They will not be wanting to pay higher service charges. It may end up with customer service charges.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Time will tell as to who will cave in. But surely other retailers will be cheering Amazon on. They will not be wanting to pay higher service charges. It may end up with customer service charges.

John
As we are out of EU not sure if rules for suppliers charging customers for using CC services is still illegal?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

John
Trouble is we'll never know.

When the likes of Easyjet used to publish a flight price and then when you got to the checkout you had to pay extra to use a credit card it was annoying and the practise did get stopped although its been a while since I've checked. However, you probably still paid more and most likely those who used a debit card paid more as the cost was just buried in the price somewhere else.

One of the best I came across for deceptive pricing was Air NewZealand internal flights. You went through the whole rigmarole of buying the ticket and then at the last hurdle had to pay more to pick your seat number which was not optional.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Amazon are advising customers that from later January 2022 they will no longer accept payment by Visa credit card. Visa debit, other bank debit and other credit cards will be okay. But our bank is also dropping Visa debit in early January 2022. Pity as our Visa Credit is low interest 8% app, and with a very good delay period until payment is required. Better load it up to bear the brunt of Christmas expenditure then.
Does that mean goods can be cheaper if you don't use a credit card,our bank changed from visa to mastercard a few months ago

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We hung in there as did not want to change to Mastercard and we were not going to use a VISA debit card. Seems Amazon have caved in as possibly they were going to lose too many customers?

Email this morning read;

The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We hung in there as did not want to change to Mastercard and we were not going to use a VISA debit card. Seems Amazon have caved in as possibly they were going to lose too many customers?

Email this morning read;

The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.
What leads you to think Amazon have caved in? Perhaps the negotiations between the two companies are leading to a resolution of the dispute where both parties have compromised to an extent.

I changed yesterday from Visa credit to MasterCard credit and received a £20 bonus which has now been spent. Wonder if I can return to Visa credit which has better payment terms and lower interest without having to give the £20 back.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What leads you to think Amazon have caved in? Perhaps the negotiations between the two companies are leading to a resolution of the dispute where both parties have compromised to an extent.

I changed yesterday from Visa credit to MasterCard credit and received a £20 bonus which has now been spent. Wonder if I can return to Visa credit which has better payment terms and lower interest without having to give the £20 back.
The cut off date was the 19/01 and now no cut off date so IMHO they caved in whether or not negotiations are still going on is of no consequence. Maybe all along it was a ploy to get people to switch to the amazon Mastercard. Our current VISA there is no charge for overseas transactions and other charges seem okay with us.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The cut off date was the 19/01 and now no cut off date so IMHO they caved in whether or not negotiations are still going on is of no consequence. Maybe all along it was a ploy to get people to switch to the amazon Mastercard. Our current VISA there is no charge for overseas transactions and other charges seem okay with us.
Or it could mean positive negotiations are continuing and more time is required to agree the terms of a new deal between the parties. Business doesn’t always have to be confrontational.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts