And they are orf!!

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks, well we are off on Saturday for our first sortie of the year.HIMSELF is busy packing soup of all kinds. It is just a hop,skip n jump away to a CL near Norwich,it is part of a fresh water fisheries complex.Neither of us fish but we do like these lakeside sites.They are usually very pretty with walking trails and lots of wildlife for "THE BEARS" to have a yap at.It is quite a large site of an acre for 5 vans with all amenities which is unusual for a CL.Lets just hope the weather stays manageable.I don't mind the cold but it is not so easy to cope with pouring rain every day!Our youngest son has just booked his first trip away with our original caravan.He is going on an all singing all dancing site near Weymouth for a week in July.I was most surprised to find several sites already booked for the summer holiday weeks.It sure makes a difference not having school children to work around.How does it affect families these days who are restricted to school holidays? Is it wiser to go for a series of long week ends rather than try to manage 2 full weeks? Some sites only offer Sat to Sat bookings and that means everyone has to travel at the same time which causes inevitable traffic chaos.What is the attitude of schools to days taken for holidays? Trips arranged via the schools take place during term time so is it deemed "educational" to go skiing or canoeing but a waste of time to spend quality time with family on holiday? It seemed much easier when our,now middle aged,children were at school or have I just forgotten?Is it necessary in this computer age for children to be physically in a classroom?Maybe it is time for a school link to be set up so as to keep children up to speed when on holidays or off sick!!The Australians taught a whole generation via radio links in the past.What does the team think????

Thursdays Child

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hiya,

Like you we are also off this weekend. Not too far. Snow forcast, but hey, we have heating. like you said it's the constant rain that's horrible.

Never mind at least we will be off the starting block for this year.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Pat, I hope you enjoy your outing too. We have really good heating these days don't we? I remember many years ago when there was only the gas fire in the living area to heat the whole van. Now we have warm all over and even a heated towel rail!! How spoilt can we be?It has been snowing here in Lincs today but the sun keeps breaking through so keep everything crossed for the week end.

Thursdays Child

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We've just had a mini blizzard here in the Midlands, we started off with bright sunshine and there's a dusting of snow on the garden now.

I was hoping to attend a 5 day rally starting next Wednesday so I hope that it's all gone by then. Herself is already making 'don't fancy this much' noises.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Well at least we know what clothes to take and don't have to decide about "IN CASE" it turns warm, tops and shorts.No sunblock or beach towels!!There is always a bright side!!!

T.C

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I remember our 1st van didn't have a heater. I went and bought a small freestanding fire (about 12' high)which I attached to a spare gas outlet near the cooker. H&S would not allow that now.

And yes clothing is easy this time.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Well me, the wife & our two kids are off tomorrow for our first outing of the season. We are heading down to Craigie Gardens in Ayr (4 days). Weather looking not too bad for this time of year. Sunny intervals, but cold - as long as it stays dry. There is a buzz around the house tonight as we get ready to go - really looking forward to it. I hope that everyone else who is going away this weekend has a very enjoyable time.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
ooh now I feel a bit more confident. Reading your comments that the heating in caravans is OK these days. Taking our caravan out for the first winter trip this weekend and have memories of freezing with my parents caravans years ago. Husband and kids think I am mad insisting we use the caravan instead of booking an expensive hotel for weekend. If they are cold I will get "I told you so" and will never hear the last of it. Sites all seem quite booked up so I keep telling them we won't be the only ones being brave.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
We're back and what a pleasant weekend. The van was as warm as toast. The weather was good but cold but as we said earlier, we took the right clothing.

Hope all you others had a good time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts