and what about the Olympics ???

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Seems about 50/50 for the Royal Wedding (see topic in General Forum).......what about the Olympics?
I for one think this is an even bigger waste of money that we havn't got. Goodness knows how I can avoid being bombarded with all that nonsense for two weeks.....its started already.
Seems to me, to be a lot of self gratification for one or two ex-athletes and second rate politicians(there are no first rate ones !) They keep telling us how important it all is for the the youth of the country....maybe if you live within 10 miles of the Stadiums, cant see it being of much benefit to the kids Leeds/Manchester/Glasgow etc.
I can think of MANY ways that the money could be spent........schools, hospitals, care homes, speed cameras (hee hee)
Does anyone agree

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
brightmore said:
Seems about 50/50 for the Royal Wedding (see topic in General Forum).......what about the Olympics?
I for one think this is an even bigger waste of money that we havn't got. Goodness knows how I can avoid being bombarded with all that nonsense for two weeks.....its started already.
Seems to me, to be a lot of self gratification for one or two ex-athletes and second rate politicians(there are no first rate ones !) They keep telling us how important it all is for the the youth of the country....maybe if you live within 10 miles of the Stadiums, cant see it being of much benefit to the kids Leeds/Manchester/Glasgow etc.
I can think of MANY ways that the money could be spent........schools, hospitals, care homes, speed cameras (hee hee)
Does anyone agree

Totally agree with you. In addition, although we like to watch rugby, but probably like 60% of the population we have no interest in the Olympics. This was the legacy of the Labour government and we have to live with the white elephants afterwards.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
This was the legacy of the Labour government and we have to live with the white elephants afterwards.
Yer, like the millemium dome, millenium wheel, millenium bridge,(gateshead) all commisioned before 1997 and too expensive to scrap or like rebuilding the cutty sark, and wembly stadium,
where's your sense of culture man??? and anyway a least west ham will get a new ground,out of it
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I for one shan't be bothered in watching the Olympics. I moan about being cooped up inside during the winter so I'll be b*******d if I'm going to be cooped up stuck in front of the TV during our short summer. I've better things to do even if it is sat outside reading with a bottle of Stella on a campsite. Bliss
smiley-smile.gif

May 12, 2011
Visit site
It all seems a very much centred on London yet again. The only "event" around our part of the West Mids was an advertising get together in Tipton. And that was last October!

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
as its for the people i wonder how many can actually afford to go and watch any of the events. I know i certainly could not afford to go even if i "won" a ticket.
Its a total waste of money and rescources.
The build has had llittle benefit to businesses in the UK as a lot of the labour came in from Europe. Concrete came from France, Steel from Germany, ticket machines from Italy, the cars are from .. Germany i think.... its a Farce.

I have been to a number of Yorkshire Gold Business Club events promoting the Olympics and what it can do for the region..... here's what they offered..... sell flowers for the atheletes staying in the region, what about mobile hair dressing to visit them, or you could be a driver for an official car.... yup, thats going to benefit the region.

I suppose we will have a statue of Seb Coe in the Mall next.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts