another bad experience of caravan club I am afraid

Dec 2, 2006
Visit site
I posted a few eeks ago about unpleasant and unfriemdly caravaners maoning about kids etc putting out a plea for a more family friendly feel.

Unfortunately my very next break away with family showed me that we are some way of making this hope universal.

On the first day I set up on a good pitch whilst my wife and kids played etc. It took about an hour and that was after a two and a half hour drive. I was then immediately informed by the warden that I would have to move as a motor home was using that pitch. The warden acknowledged that no marker had been left out and that they should have done so. the warden acknowledged that there was a free motorhome pitch just 5 places up and actually nicer in my opinion. However as they did not want this person getting them out of bed should they come back late, I was to move.

So much for help !

I did not moan but politely expressed my frustration, They assured me they would convey similar frustration to the motor home owner when they returned.

The next morning they confirmed they had spoken to them. I actually saw them doing so. Did the motor home owner offer any apology ? No.

day 2 i had our neighbour banging on her window telling me to keep off her pitch. It would appear i had on three or four occasions waled across the edge of her pitch to get to a friend bringing me within about three feet of her window. Her husband then follows me to the office block and standing about 7 or 8 inches from me tells me not to enter their pitch again. i asked if it was important and if so I would endeavour not to do so although was not aware I had been in the first place.

For the next two days we had them twitching in their van every time we walked past or our children did so. By the way our children continued to be polite and respectful at all times as did i even if I wanted to do the opposite. Thereafter the couple would not make eye contact at all.

I asked the wardens if such complaints wre common place. They regretted it to bo so commenting that the caravan club still has a rather stuffy feel to it with some members.

I do want to use the caravan club. The sites are so nice visually but does the club want to change and come in to the 21st century. What do others think. Is this restricted to just the CC or is it that more and more people are becoming so removed from good society that posessions are everything to them. Are people not more important than a six foot perimeter.

Please help. Do not tell me that caravans and equipment are expensive and worthy of protection. These instances had nothing to do with equpiment being at risk. It was all about human interaction. Some do not seem to want it so why go caravaning. Is that not most of the fun ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And just why did you feel the need to walk across someone elses pitch?

Personally, I find it very disconcerting to have people passing by 2ft from my windows.

Practise some common sense and quit whinging.

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Sorry Rod, but i'm with Philip on this one, at the end of the day you are on a camp site where people walk about all over the place. Just because your caravan is sited on a piece of grass it does not mean that piece of grass is yours. This is one of the reasons I left the CC, just like Philip I have come across neighbours who looked at you as if you had no right to be there.

I am no longer a member of any club and holiday on commercial camp sites now and meet a better type of caravaner.

Regards

Graham (Ponty)

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Philip, You asked for opinions and many don't agree with your view of caravanning.

I can fully understand your frustration in having to move pitches, I don't think I would have been so accomodating in having to move after the awning had been put up. In my opinion the wardens should have reserved the other pitch for the returning campervan and reminded them on their return that they should always leave a "pitch in use" sign when they leave for the day.

However, I agree with Rod regarding people wandering across other peoples pitches as if they have a divine right to do so, particularly when they walk so close to other vans. We stayed at the CC site just outside York and a number of inconsiderate caravanners constantly walked through our pitch to the toilet blocks, just because it was quicker for them to cut across.....maybe just too lazy to walk round? Have you been there?

Why can't everybody just respect other peoples space and take a few extra seconds to walk round the roadway rather than cut across other pitches?

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
When I got my first caravan some 20 years ago the previous owner left a pile of CC mags for me. After reading them I decided not to join the cc but stay with the C&CC instead ( X Tenter)From this Mail it seems the reasons I didn't join back then are the same today. Try the C&CC you get a few like that but the majority are very friendly.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
I don't think I would have moved Pitch, the warden should have left instuctions and reason for the motorhome to pitch elsewhere,and of course they should have left some kind of marker, unless of course they were not worried about pitching elswhere, but as for people walking over the ground you have pitched on, I agree that this is not the done thing, this is why I like the Caravan Club, because there are members out there that want to keep the club standards, and I agree with this.some may say that the Caravan Club is snobby, I don't think so it's just that if everyone started to be lax about good manners and rules,the club would not be the delight it is today,I am sure I speak for many members,when I say that it is a pleasure to visit their sites knowing that they take pride in the standards they set.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
QUOTE:

"I have come across neighbours who looked at you as if you had no right to be there."

Precisely, you do not have the right to cross my pitch!

I am a member of the Caravan Club and use their excellent services such as insurance, Red Pennant etc., however, I have ceased to use Caravan Club sites because of the"ME-ME-ME" attitude of the clientelle they now attract.

People that feel they have the right to cut across your pitch and become abusive when asked not to.

Kids that race around your outfit on bikes and if you ask them not to, as sure as "eggs is eggs" a visit from irate parents will ensue.

The risk that if you take anyone to task, you will have physical damage done to your property, such as a Stanley knife slashed across your awning.

I could go on but I won't as I am sure that most reasonable caravanners will know where I am coming from.

Until now I have never whinged about this on any forum, I've just stopped using the main club sites (not CLs) as I feel that the wardens are afraid (and rightly so) to enforce the club rules where some of these people are concerned.

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Rod wrote:

"The risk that if you take anyone to task, you will have physical damage done to your property, such as a Stanley knife slashed across your awning" ⇦br/>

I'm amazed that people of that ilk would be in the Caravan Club - it's the sort of thing that I would have associated with commercial sites full of beery chavs drinking their way steadily through their holiday

I have an interest in this because we've recently joined the CC (am already CCC members) but have yet to use any of their sites. I've heard the stories of 'stand-offishness' and unfriendliness - but, surely, that's preferable to having to deal with someone attacking your awning with a craft knife?!

I take it that this sort of thing doesn't happen on the CL's? (which is my main reason for joining the CC) My own deductions are that the CCC is best for weekend rallies (never known any unpleasantness on the many rallies & temporary holiday sites that we've attended over the years) and the CC have the best CL's

Club sites, belonging to both organisations, seem ridiculously expensive to me - but, then, I'm a very mean sort of person ;)

It's a sad comment on the country (which seems to be nearing the end of terminal decline) that criminal damage in response to a complaint (whether justified or not) should even be a possibility

My wife assures me that I have always looked a trifle 'thuggish'(which I am most certainly not, btw) - which, these days, appears to be something of an asset as it now seems necessary to look as though you're capable of tearing someone's head from their shoulders if you hope to go through life unmolested!

A few days ago, a complete stranger asked me whether I boxed - which rather took me by surprise as I've never been a devotee of the pugilistic arts Upon returning home I spent ten minutes examining my face in the mirror for any tell-tale signs of a life spent in the ring, broken nose, cauliflower ears, that sort of thing.

One possibility that later occurred to me was that she (my unknown admirer) might have been commenting on my mental faculties - perhaps imaging them to have been reduced by years of having my head pounded ;)

I suppose that one way of ensuring some peace and quiet from one's on-site neighbours is to leave a large baseball bat conspicuously propped up outside the caravan door ;)......

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
To be fair we have experienced this sort of behaviour on several sites not just CC sites which to us have always been well run and not so much of a problem. Those with families tend to respect others I have found.

But at the risk of the wrath of every parent who believes that kids should be allowed a free run and so spoil it for everyone; I can see the popularity of adult only sites increasing.

Think about it - the baby boomers are an increasing segment of society. It tends to be us that has the money and the time.

Why wouldn't a site want to offer all year round facilities for those that can use them?

Why restrict yourself to only the school holidays?

Pretty soon we will have moans that this site does not have children anymore. And that will be a shame, especially as I look forward to grandchildren at some time in the future.

But then we all reap what we sow.

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Correct me if i'm wrong but I can't see anywhere in the site rules where it say's "Members must not walk anywhere near another members caravan"

SEASONAL AND BASE PITCHES TERMS AND CONDITIONS 2007

SEASONAL & BASE PITCHES TERMS & CONDITIONS 2007

1 DEFINITIONS

1.1 The following definitions shall apply in this document:

'Base Pitch' means a Seasonal Pitch available for hire for a 12-month period, subject to The Club Terms

and Conditions;

Caravan' means a touring caravan, motor caravan or trailer tent;

'Club' means The Caravan Club Limited, whose registered number is 646027, and whose

registered office is at Rotherwick House, 3 Thomas More Street, London E1W 1YX;

'Club Bye-Laws' means the document entitled 'Club Bye-Laws' which can be found in the Sites Directory &

Handbook and on The Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk;

'Club Terms and Conditions' means:

(i) these Seasonal and Base Pitches Terms and Conditions 2007;

(ii) The Club Bye-Laws;

(iii) the Site Rules;

(iv) the Caravan Code, which can be found in the Sites Directory & Handbook and on The

Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk; and

(v) the Country Code, which can be found in the Sites Directory & Handbook and on The

Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk;

'Family Member' means a family member, as defined in The Club Bye-Laws;

'Joint Member' means a joint member, as defined in The Club Bye-Laws;

'Member' means a member of The Club, as defined in The Club Bye-Laws;

'Outfit' means a caravan and towing vehicle, trailer tent and towing vehicle or a motor caravan;

'Pitch' means a demarcated area of a Site, for location of an Outfit for recreational purposes as

permitted by The Club Terms and Conditions;

'Seasonal Pitch' means a Pitch made available by The Club to Members for hire for a specified period,

subject to The Club Terms and Conditions;

'Site' means a location for use as a caravan site operated by The Club which may contain Base

and/or Seasonal Pitches;

'Site Rules' means the document entitled 'Site Rules', which is published in the Sites Directory &

Handbook and on The Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk; and

'Warden' means the warden of a Site.

2 APPLICATION OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS

2.1 The Club Terms and Conditions apply to all Members who hire a Seasonal or Base Pitch.

3 PURPOSE

3.1 The Club is a recreational club for touring caravanners. Seasonal and Base Pitches are a concessional facility for Members who wish to

make use of their Outfits on specific Sites, but who are either unable or unwilling to tow them to and from those Sites at frequent intervals.

3.2 Seasonal and Base Pitches are therefore available for recreational purposes only.

4 ALLOCATION OF PITCHES

4.1 Subject to paragraph 4.2, Members may select a Seasonal Pitch or Base Pitch, as the case may be, from those not occupied at the time they

bring their Outfit to the Site.

4.2 In the event of any dispute relating to a Seasonal Pitch or Base Pitch allocation, or where Member selection of a Seasonal Pitch or Base

Pitch is not possible due to the requirements of a particular Site or on particular occasions, the Warden will allocate Seasonal Pitches or

Base Pitches, as the case may be.

4.3 The provisions of this paragraph 4 will apply the first time the Outfit is brought to the Site and each time thereafter.There is no guarantee

that a Pitch selected by or allocated to a Member at a Site on one occasion will be available to that Member on any future occasion or

occasions, including after a tow-off period.

5 USE OF CARAVANS ON SITE

5.1 Sites are for recreational purposes, NOT residential purposes. When on Site, the Caravan may therefore be occupied for recreational

purposes only.

5.2 The Caravan may be occupied for a maximum of 21 nights for any one visit. After any one visit of 21 successive nights the Member and

any other persons staying in the Caravan must vacate the Caravan and the Site and there must be an interval of not less than 48 hours

before a return visit to the Caravan.

6 TOWING OFF

6.1 Members are required to remove their Caravans from the Site at regular intervals:

Base Pitch: Members must tow off twice during the period of l April to 31 October 2007 for at least two separate 24-hour periods,

with a period of at least 28 nights between each separate 24-hour tow-off period; and

Seasonal Pitch: Members must tow off once during the period of 31 May to 1 September 2007 for at least one 24-hour period.

6.2 Any Member who has failed to satisfy the relevant towing off condition by the relevant time or for the relevant period will be notified in

writing of such and requested to tow off within 48 hours. Failure to do so will be considered to be a breach of The Club Terms and

Conditions and as such The Club is entitled to terminate the hire of the Seasonal or Base Pitch and require the Member to remove their

Outfit immediately. In such circumstances the Member will not be entitled to a refund.

7 PITCH USE AND MAINTENANCE

Storage

7.1 Nothing may be stored beneath the Outfit.

7.2 Pitches should be kept as clean and tidy as possible at all times. Assessment of the cleanliness and tidiness of a Pitch will be at the

Warden's discretion, to be exercised reasonably. Any uncleanliness or untidiness will be notified to the relevant Member and a reasonable

period allowed for such to be remedied. Any borderline cases or dispute relating to cleanliness and tidiness of the Pitch will be dealt with in

accordance with The Club's complaints procedure, which is set out in The Club Bye-Laws/Site Rules.

Gardens

7.3 Nothing may be planted or grown on or in the vicinity of any Seasonal or Base Pitch.

Gas Bottles

7.4 For safety reasons, only gas bottles that fit in the Caravan gas locker are permitted when the Member is not on Site.

Electric Hook-up

7.5 Seasonal Pitch agreements may include electric hook-up facilities. Where an electric hook-up is not available on a Seasonal Pitch a

Member may, subject to availability, book an EHU touring pitch, and move to it, incurring the full touring pitch fee and per capita charges

applicable to that touring pitch (in addition to the fees payable for the Seasonal Pitch).

7.6 When the Outfit is not occupied the electric hook-up must be disconnected and the electric cable stored.

Awnings

7.7 Awnings may be erected, but for safety purposes all awnings must be dismantled when the Member leaves the Site at the end of a visit.

7.8 To preserve the grass, in accordance with Site Rules, groundsheets and side flaps of tents and awnings must be raised at regular intervals

and/or as reasonably requested by the Warden.

7.9 Members must take reasonable care not to cause damage to grass by use of awnings or other external items of a Member's Outfit.

Cars

7.10 A car may only be left at a Site when a Caravan sited on a Seasonal Pitch is occupied. Visitors to the Site may leave their cars in the

Visitors' car park in accordance with the Site Rules.

7.11 The parking of cars during periods of Caravan occupation shall be in accordance with the Site Rules.

8 MOVEMENT OF OUTFITS

8.1 On reasonable notice from the Warden, Members may be required occasionally to move their Outfit due to maintenance and/or

development requirements, including, if required by utility companies, to enable the ground under the Outfit to be 'aired', the grass to grow,

grass cutting to take place and tree maintenance.

8.2 In the event of a hazard or emergency, such as fire, high winds, flooding or water logging, the Warden may need to move or arrange for the

Outfit to be moved immediately to another area or Pitch on the same Site or off the Site.In such circumstances, the Warden will, if possible,

give the Member as much notice of such requirement as possible.

8.3 Once the maintenance and/or development requirements have been satisfied or completed or there is no longer a hazard or emergency, the

Member will be entitled to return the Outfit, where possible, to the original Pitch. Where this is not possible, the Member will be required

to move the Outfit to another Pitch, as comparable to the original Pitch as possible. Please see paragraph 12 in relation to refunds.

8.4 Wheels must not be removed from the Outfit.

9 STANDARD OF OUTFIT

9.1 In order to maintain visual standards, only Outfits in a good state of repair and condition, adequately maintained and clean, will be allowed

into and to remain on the Site.

Bit sad realy

Graham (Ponty)

G

May I suggest there is a good Scottish answer to the problem of people (miscreants) wandering over your pitch.

You put on your 'Jimmy' hat walk up to them and state very loudly 'seez youse Jimmy, get aff my pitch before I gies youse a Glesga kiss' It usually works because they think you are totally insane and keep well clear from then on.

Of course also from then on, people leave the washroom as you enter, but it is a small price to pay.

Whether you are allowed back on to the site is another matter.

have a nice day...as they say.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
To be fair we have experienced this sort of behaviour on several sites not just CC sites which to us have always been well run and not so much of a problem. Those with families tend to respect others I have found.

But at the risk of the wrath of every parent who believes that kids should be allowed a free run and so spoil it for everyone; I can see the popularity of adult only sites increasing.

Think about it - the baby boomers are an increasing segment of society. It tends to be us that has the money and the time.

Why wouldn't a site want to offer all year round facilities for those that can use them?

Why restrict yourself to only the school holidays?

Pretty soon we will have moans that this site does not have children anymore. And that will be a shame, especially as I look forward to grandchildren at some time in the future.

But then we all reap what we sow.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I can't remember ever checking into a CC site without being asked to report back and tell the warden which pitch I have taken.I am usually told where there are free ones and given a marked site plan before we go and look for one too.

Consequently, I would expect to report back and tell the warden which pitch I had taken straight away, so they in turn could put the new arrivals after me in the picture too.

I have a feeling you couldn't be bothered to do this straight away and suffered the consequences. Agreed, a motor caravan should leave something on their pitch to make sure there are no mix up's, but why should they have their pitch nicked if , as I suspect, it was you at fault really.

Frustrating for you, but you won't do it again.

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Quote:

Precisely, you do not have the right to cross my pitch!

Where in the rule book does it say "You have Not got the right to Cross any Pitch"

Graham (Ponty)

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Quote:

Where in the rule book does it say "You have Not got the right to Cross any Pitch"

Why do people resort to "The Rule Book". I don't think this point has anything to do with rules. It' more about common courtesy and respect for others.

G

Curiously enough many sites in Europe mark out the pitches with hedges etc. whereas the good old CC relies on a 'peg'. Of course they often move the peg around so what was the pitch last week, may not be the same this week. All in the interests of grass preservation you know. Why, when they also allow seasonal pitches beats me.

I admit sometimes the hard standing pitches are better because you can easily see what is allocated to you, even if there is not a lot of fun sitting on gravel.

I accept that sometimes people can walk too close in error, and no problem. However make habit of it due to laziness then I feel entitled to get just a little bit upset. The answer..go peer in their windows when they are having a meal and say 'Hello'.

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
mebbe this is why the Holiday Site Assistants and Managers on the C & CC Sites actually TAKE you to your pitch - then you can't 'pinch' one where a motorhome is away for the day

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I am a member of both, the CC, and the C&CC, so you can make of that what you will.

Up to now i have enjoyed staying at some wonderfull CC sites,had no bother and met some helpfull people, as yet not stayed on a C&CC site but would expect it to be just the same.

No doubt it is possible to meet all types of people on any type of campsite, thats is live.

Personelly feel it would be rude to walk acrosss somebody elses pitch,afterall you do actually pay for a pitch in the first place

do you not? and you also pay for the users of that pitch. so i would assume that area is you space fully paid for

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Graham you are right to point out out that if it not mentioned in the club rule it is ok. A few months ago I had a disagreement with someone in the pitch next to me. He threatened to put an axe in my head. I went into my caravn and looked up the rules but unfotunately nowhere did it say he could not. So reluctantly I went back out and let him axe me. thank heavens for rules.

Colin

Dec 2, 2006
Visit site
Rioja, please be assured it had nothing to do with "not being bothered", a comment I find a little unhelpful. The warden was told straight away but had clearly not checked the board correctly.

For other comments about walking across pitches. let me be clearer, I was not walking across the caravan and breathing on the window as I peared in to examine what they do in the dark of their van. I walked across the corner of the pitch occasionally, maybe 3 or 4 times, and never once even considered to look at the van never mind in the van because it would not be courteous. However, to argue against even stepping on to the edge of a pitch is surely taking the argument too far.

It is pleasing to see some fair and reasonable responses on this thread. It is not unexpected to see other less reasonable ones. Let's just hope I pitch next to reasonable people next time.

As for me, if someone walks across the edge of my pitch or encroaches 2 or 3 feet on to it then as long as they are not pearing in or shouting or swearing I will hopefully not even notice or if I do I will smile and even consider saying hello !

Thanks for your thoughts. I and others will keep encouraging a friendlier feel to CC sites reminding myself always that it starts with me.

Laslty, the last thread I posted ended with the moderator closing it down. It is pleasing that all comments here have been ok. Whilst we may not all have the same view. We all have the right to air them fairly and courteously.

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Colin A

Thank you, thank you, you have just given my morning a great start--- I am laughing out loud sat at my computer, that comment is a real gud un!!

Thanks, my day is already brighter

.Regards Madeleine

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Folks,

No offence ment (pardon the pun) but is this the future of things to come!!!

A CC member marks out his territory with a brand new portable fence available to all members from the club shop.

Here's another member with a more permant model specialy designed for the seasonal pitch member.

Sorry folks I just find it a bit sad that people have to be territorial when they are away from home with their caravans, after all you are only on a camp site.

Philip if you ever pitch up next to me on any site you are welcome to walk across my pitch and maybe even come and say hello.

Graham (Ponty)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have caravanned for over 35 years, and just as in all aspects of life things are not just as we would always like them to be, so in many cassis you have to accept that's how it is. We have used CC sites for many years and have never really had any problems, yes some times if I am honest little things do hack me off, but they are little so I live with them, if it upset me to much I would pack it all in and find another hobby that gave me as much enjoyment instead of annoyance. We used to rally with the CC for many years, then the pettiness crept in, you know the sort of thing, buy a new car or caravan and certain individuals stop talking to you, then there were the clicks, flavour of the month, social ladder climbers on the committee I could go on and on, but the end result was that we came back on a Sunday night all wound up, and that's not what it is all about, so solution = stop rallying= end of problem, now we are quite happy to do our own thing be it on a cl or a CC site and if people want to talk then fine, if they choose to ignore us then we do not lose sleep over it. I think we are of the old school and respect peoples boundaries, and would not encroach on there pitch just as I would appreciate them to reciprocate the same with mine, I do not walk across my neighbours property at home nor he mine, so I apply the same rules when away, but I would not get to wound up by it, because after all we go away to relax and enjoy our caravans, when that no longer happens, then is the time to sell up.

Allan & Gill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts