Another fridge swop

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi Everyone just joined the forum.
I do not know much about caravans
But my specially is GRP Repairs.

I have a Luna 400 Ultima 2006 single axel 2 person Caravan.

Bought a while ago and just got round to sorting out all the bits and pieces required for a short break.

The Freezer a Dometic rms 8400 was half fitted but looks like it was just pushed into the over wheel position. But not fixed in.

Turns out it must have just been changed.
Well it is a non starter.

So I have just bought a Thetford. N4080E+

I have images of the wiring.
That I can post later.

Seems ok. With the gas and the 240 volt part .
The problem lies with the 12 supply cables I have an Orange wire missing.
But have a 12 change over switch inside the caravan to change from caravan 12 to car.

Will post that image later.

Just to start this thread away I will post now.

Many thanks
Sonar

Attachments

• savedImage 2.png
    savedImage 2.png
    536 KB · Views: 12
  • savedImage.png
    savedImage.png
    635.8 KB · Views: 8
Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
More information now

the attached says bridge the D+. AND THE LC+

seems that gets over the problem.
so a new question

the image above showing the two switches.

when set to the car is this when the fridge will work while travelling ?

Attachments

• savedImage 3.png
    savedImage 3.png
    291 KB · Views: 8

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
when set to the car is this when the fridge will work while travelling ?

No, when towing the habitation relay switches of all internal 12v and allows power from the car to go to the fridge.
The car setting is used when stopped for a break and still connected to the tow car to allow restricted use of some of the 12v items in the van, such as toilet pump, and possibly a light.

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
Many thanks for the reply.

So with the 12 volt switch set to the caravan is the way to tow then?

Sorry with the questions, the last caravan I had never had a fridge. And just basic switches. Lights only.
And a bucket with a removable lid ...as a Loo.

This one has a lot more switches some of them I will, I guess be asking what and how to use.

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
As I have no orange wire fitted could this blue and brown wire have been where it may have been fitted
seems to be on the same cable grooping

Attachments

• savedImage.png
    savedImage.png
    656.6 KB · Views: 6

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trying to advise on what goes where is impossible without actually being there and testing each wire.

Get a qualified engineer to fit it.

Looking at the picture it seems that you have already muddied the waters by joining different coloured wires together, such as black to white and white to black, which defies convention.

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
Exsisting wiring that’s why I have such problems.
the old fridge was removed by the previous owner. But left in place not fixed in not wired I expect it was exchanged for a working one..

the local caravan company had a look and said they could not help.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So, the situation is that a Dometic fridge was removed from the van and you have got a Thetford.

The van wiring loom was made with the fitment of a Dometic item in mind, not Thetford therefore unless you can come up with the van wiring diagram and the Thetford fridge wiring diagram there is not a lot that can be done.

It is situations like this where a standard wiring system should be in place, but caravan makers like to be different and make any work on vans as difficult as possible for the experienced engineer and virtually impossible for the ordinary non trained user.

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
Many thanks

I will have to try and look for a luna ultima 400 2006 loom diagram I have the wiring details for both the dometic and the new Thetford.

Both fridges have the same wiring. Same colours . So someone worked it out at some time.

I am not even sure if the dometic was the original fridge to start with.

The biggest problem was the missing orange wire. But the new thetford wiring shows how to get over it.

I know its all a massive mess to sort and not my doing but there it stands.

So I will have to get it sorted in due course. But Thanks for all the help.

Sure I will update this thread as I go along.

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
Well having tested as much as we. can thats me and an electronics guy. Seems the wiring is ok 12 volt high and low voltage and mains
240 volt.

more luck than judgement. the wiring that was added seemed to be the right ones.

the fridge is now working ok.
just waiting now the the gas guy to call Friday and then a full service and testing At the caravan centre

3 weeks waiting list. But booked in now.

So a big Thank you to all for there time and help.
it has been very much appreciated……

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts