Another new member who knows nothing!🤪

Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
Hi, hope I find you all well or at least hanging by a thread! I am trying to convince my fiancé to invest in a van. We currently holiday a few times a year at Haven sites in Wales or Blackpool and love it! There’s just my fiancé , myself and our 5 year old and I need a light van ( so I’ve been told) due to my 1.5 Diesel Renault captur. Only want spend about 5 grand to begin with. Please help as I know nothing at all about Caravaning!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. First off you need to know the towing limit and kerb weight of the car, The kerb weight is the unladen weight including all essential liquids and a three quarter tank full of fuel plus 75 kg for the driver and some luggage. You need these to get some idea of the weight of caravan you can tow before going any further.
It should not worry you but if the combined maximum weights of the car and caravan exceed 3,500 kg you need a B+E licence. I think you will be well within this figure though.
At that purchase price you are looking at pretty old models so some care is needed. The biggest danger is damp and if the caravan has not got a recent clear damp test, it needs one. Beyond that it is a case of looking at any maintanance records and checking the condition and that everything fitted works. If you know anyone who can help then use them.
Do make sure the seller is legitimate, and preferably for a beginner try and find one at a dealer.

Reactions: Lislou

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Hope you can convince S/HWMBO to take the plunge. It is a great way to holiday with children. Instant friendships await as soon as you get on site. You see other children pass your van and loitering to see if your child is playing out. Caravan sites are a relatively safe place for children to play out. Having done this with children, foster children and now grandchildren, I can only say it’s brilliant.
If you decide to look for vans, Caravanfinder is a good place to look, as is autotrader. Beware of the dreaded damp and look at all the buyers guides on here.
Let us know how you go on.
mel

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, hope I find you all well or at least hanging by a thread! I am trying to convince my fiancé to invest in a van. We currently holiday a few times a year at Haven sites in Wales or Blackpool and love it! There’s just my fiancé , myself and our 5 year old and I need a light van ( so I’ve been told) due to my 1.5 Diesel Renault captur. Only want spend about 5 grand to begin with. Please help as I know nothing at all about Caravaning!!
Some post 2013 Renault Captur 1.5dci have a max towing limit if 1200 kg. Although some are down at 900 kg. What is your cars specific towing limit?

Reactions: Gralay
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes that’s my car 👍

At 900 kg your choice is in the very lightweight category. Freedom, TAB, Trigano, Eriba and others would be worth looking at. However they do hold their prices and don’t depreciate as much as conventional vans. I had a Trigano 420 DD and its MTPLM 1000kg and some versions had a MIRO of 740/750 kg so by keeping your load down you could still be within the cars legal limit.
Below are pictures of my Trigano 420 DD. Had most conveniences but we found it too small especially with two boisterous Springers. Very well made though and towed beautifully.
WP_20160916_12_33_50_Pro copy.jpgWP_20161015_15_12_55_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use to own one of these Kip Kompakt 37 ekv and it came with a awning this was lightweight

Attachments

• 20626511_1408732039202401_6314456499666939828_o.jpg
    20626511_1408732039202401_6314456499666939828_o.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 2
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, I was going to suggest a trailer tent, but the smaller vans with the awnings look good for you. Remember about the weight of the awning BBQ, chairs tables, etc. I hope you find something useful.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Have a look at the Gobur folding caravans, we were pitched next to one last year and it looked great, it only took them about 20 minutes from arrival to kettle on, they're about 900 to 1000 kgs and tow easier than a caravan, and being insulated good for all year use. There's a few used models in your budget on the manufacturers website here iincluding one with heating etc.

I suspect the problem you may have is if you want 3 berths, most of the small caravans are 2 berth (although we put our 6 year old on the floor). However some trailer tents are 4 berth, we started off with one and managed to cram us and three kids inside and had some great holidays, including a couple at haven sites, you will easily find one in your budget.

The best things is to go and have a look at a few just to get an idea of what you really want before you a finally commit to buying anything.
Then research what to look out for when inspecting and take great care to make sure everything's in good condition.

Finally don't forget that unless you find someone who's selling a package there's a lot you'll need to buy on top of the van / trailer (water carriers etc), Initially you can take cooking stuff etc from the house, but you'll soon get fed up with that and want a separate set.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, I was going to suggest a trailer tent, but the smaller vans with the awnings look good for you. Remember about the weight of the awning BBQ, chairs tables, etc. I hope you find something useful.
Your right about the weight of kit, but a number of makes even at MTPLM of under 1000kg have far more payload than many conventional vans. Some of the Erica and TrIgano will have 200-250 kg.
if the OP buys such a van it may not have a MIRO tally as per U.K. vans. All my Trigano had was the 1000 kg MTPLM stamped on the A frame. The brochure and manual said ex works 750kg. But unbeknown to me a number had been built with heavier panels and the importers additions had used up a lot of the payload. I didn’t find this out until it’s maiden voyage. I called in at a weighbridge in Brecon and couldn’t believe the resultant reading which came out at around 230kg above MTPLM. Needless to say the journey homeon its new Kenda ( uprated ) tyres was gentle. After a lot of internet searching I found only one reference to another owner with such a hybrid build. It was a 2008-9 build year when things went tipsy because of the financial crash. The learning experience from this was that my home weighing approach was quite accurate for payload weighing. Pity I started with the wrong MIRO 🙈

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m thinking it might be best to invest more heavily in a static?

If you do make very sure that you understand the contract terms and conditions as they can be very restrictive. If the static reaches a certain age the site can require it to be replaced. If you don’t then buy through them you have to arrange your own removal and relocation. Site maintenance fees can be another area that require careful thought.

A seasonal pitch for a tourer could be an option. If it’s too heavy for your car to tow there are companies that will tow it for you and pitch it. Then if you don’t need it in winter the site may offer storage pitches and they will move it into the storage area for you and bring it out for the new season.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My cousin brought a Static at Fir Tree Bridlington he paid good money and the rent was included for that season but you have pay to extra for Site Maintenance Gas Bottles after only two years he thinking of getting rid . if you sell it private you still have to give money to site
Look at the contract and conditions and the small print
i would agree with clive about a seasonal pitch that might be the way forward but think about it very seriously

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Visit site
The replies from both beachball and otherclive are very significant as to costs and resale of a static caravan the other way you could go is to put a tourer on a seasonal pitch until lease ends on your current car and get a car with higher towing capacity

Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
If you do make very sure that you understand the contract terms and conditions as they can be very restrictive. If the static reaches a certain age the site can require it to be replaced. If you don’t then buy through them you have to arrange your own removal and relocation. Site maintenance fees can be another area that require careful thought.

A seasonal pitch for a tourer could be an option. If it’s too heavy for your car to tow there are companies that will tow it for you and pitch it. Then if you don’t need it in winter the site may offer storage pitches and they will move it into the storage area for you and bring it out for the new season.
Ooh it’s so complicated but the seasonal pitch might be an idea and get it towed there like you suggest.im so glad I posted on here! So helpful 👍

Reactions: Parksy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts