Antifreeze

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I had an issue with my toilet flush last year , it gave up,,and it was suggested that it may have been because I emptied the reservoir and the pump dried out. (not proven)
This winter I want to leave fluid in the reservoir just in case and I believe I can buy an antifreeze additive.
Has anyone had experience of using this type of product and are there any drawbacks to it.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
If I was going to leave fluid in the system to prevent the pump drying out then I would use 'Prestone',
it is available at a very reasonable price from Costco.
I use it on cars and motorcycles, it is silicate free and claims not to have have detrimental effect on the various types of seals used in the automotive industry, it is also claimed that it is compatible when used in conjunction with other types of antifreeze (an unlikely prospect in a caravan, I accept).
Windscreen screen wash antifreeze could be used, and it does pass via a pump, what types of pump I am not sure, I have heard of car dealers refusing windscreen wash pump replacement because the 'recommended' brand was not used ????

If you choose to use 'Prestone' as an over winter additive then I suggest 5050 ratio.

http://prestone.com/enmx/products/antifreeze/coolant

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " it was suggested that it may have been because I emptied the reservoir and the pump dried out. (not proven)"

Whoever suggested that as the problem obviously knows nothing about the pumps !!!!!

If you are storing the van over winter the best thing to do is drain the water, run the pump for a few seconds to ensure all the water in it has been expelled and leave the drain open until all water stops draining.

It is only prudent to add antifreeze to the toilet flush water if you are using the van in the depths of a very cold winter, then to remove it as soon as possible.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I put a double dose of toilet pink into the flush tank after I have pumped it down to empty and didn’t have any problems over winter last year but then again the only month we didn’t go out in was December.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It always amazes me how many times the wheel gets reinvented :eek:hmy:
Six or so years ago Thetford were faced with a barrage of failed pumps during winter storage. So much so that on models like mine the CWE250 they issued foc an additional drainage system to ensure the pump held no residual fluids.
QED :) B)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts