Any essentials in shut down

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
The trips we had planned up to July in the UK and France and Spain aren't going to happen so the caravan is now on the hard standing in the front garden. I will move it back and forth to spread the load on the tyres and the electric is connected so the battery will be charged but is there anything else that I should be doing periodically to maintain it. I will open it up regularly to keep everything fresh. Any advice for a new owner would be appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The trips we had planned up to July in the UK and France and Spain aren't going to happen so the caravan is now on the hard standing in the front garden. I will move it back and forth to spread the load on the tyres and the electric is connected so the battery will be charged but is there anything else that I should be doing periodically to maintain it. I will open it up regularly to keep everything fresh. Any advice for a new owner would be appreciated.

I would open up the cupboards and wardrobe. Make sure fridge door is ajar. I lift my upholstery such that air can easily circulate around. Not quite so important in summer as winter but I do it just the same. Could also put tyre covers on too. Don’t leave handbrake on. With steadies down and a wheel lock it won’t move far unless you are on a steep slope in which case use chocks too. Drain water down. I tend not to keep the battery connected when it’s at home. Preferring to just charge it periodically. Although make sure all electrics are switched off as if you drain and flatten a battery it can ruin it. I use a multimeter to check battery voltage periodically even when the caravan is at the house. When it’s in storage the battery comes home.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good advice, although I would not worry about the hand brake bring on as it is only in severe frost that this can stick.
I would also open and close the toilet flap and if stiff use a silicone lubricant on it.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the advice to date The fridge is propped open as are cupboards, cushions etc Any particular reason for not leaving the battery on charge Otherclive? I'll attend to the toilet flap. The hardstand is level so I could easily release the handbrake and place some chocks if it's possible that the handbrake could stick but if I'm going to move the van regularly to prevent tyre wear I assume that is less likely. I think I read somewhere that spraying the rubber seals around the windows periodically with silicone prevents them drying and if they remain supple they retain a better seal. Is that worthwhile? I really think there will be restrictions until June/July at least so I'm keen to keep everything in good order bearing in mind that is not going to get any use.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes unless you are dead certain that the charger will not overcharge the battery and lead to electrolyte loss. Even maintenance free batteries can loose fluid. Or the charger could be faulty and over voltage the battery. I am just a bit cautious on those things.

Yes silicon in rubber window door and locker seals. Re the thetford I also just slightly open the blade a smidgeon which takes pressure off the seal.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Good advice, although I would not worry about the hand brake bring on as it is only in severe frost that this can stick.
I would also open and close the toilet flap and if stiff use a silicone lubricant on it.

I would just point out that frozen brakes might be one issue - but it's summer now of course.

The reason it is preferable to leave the brakes off is because they can stick to the drums as the drums rust without use.

Doesn't always happen but why take the risk. Steadies down and chock if worried.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I'll get chocking tomorrow and maybe turn the power off periodically. Hopefully somewhere like B&Q will have a silicone spray bearing in mind that all other shops are shut.
Thanks again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I never leave the hand brake on in storage due to corrosion "grip". Lots of rocking about to release them. As for the tyres, cover them if in direct sunshine. Maybe rotate every couple of months, tyres nowadays do not suffer from "flat spots" as much as the old cross plys.

My van is in storage I didn't remove the battery as we though we were going away. Oh well see what happen , buy a new one and see if I can "revive" the old one 4 years old as a spare for off grid work. When we get out again.

Reactions: Guzzilazz
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
If you have a timer then maybe have the battery charging for an hour a day..

Ours is also in storage, we visited on Monday to check on it but Monday evening realised that we'd left the master switch on, there's a 10amp solar panel topping it up so we have our fingers crossed. We hardly feel it's classified as an essential trip and will find out if the battery's shot when this is all over.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have my van at home. It's on a timer that comes on for a couple of hours a night. My drive is reasonably level, wheels are still cocked, hand brake off. On sunny days I open the van and all the windows to let the air circulate. I have an hitching post and I occasionally check to see if the stabiliser pads are not sticking, to it. Van is on axle stands now, (my choice) weight off tyres, can only be a good thing, and I can spin the wheels to move bearings, again my choice. I have a cover on the wheel that is in the sun, best part of the day. I use a drop of Olive Oil on the toilet seal and I've drained the flush tank and put a couple of pints of neat car window screen wash in to stop it freezing.

I have used Talc on the window rubbers, but the Silicone spray sounds better. Do you spray it on or is it sufficient to wipe on????

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We have always left the handbrake on with no issue-they are drums and far less prone to seizing than discs on cars. Even on our little old Avondale we first started with. We only ever open up the fridge-never needed to do anything with cupboards and if you haven't a solar panel on the van yes keep the battery charged.

I always drop some caravan specific disinfectant in to all the drains and occasionally run it through the water system-easy to do if you are at home and then drain down ie open the stop **** on the internal tank and the water heater and open up all the taps to prevent freezing over winter.

Other than that no real need although our neighbour removes all his upholstery -the thinking behind that is that it is far less attractive to a crim! Not sure what I think about that one but each to their own.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have my van at home. It's on a timer that comes on for a couple of hours a night. My drive is reasonably level, wheels are still cocked, hand brake off. On sunny days I open the van and all the windows to let the air circulate. I have an hitching post and I occasionally check to see if the stabiliser pads are not sticking, to it. Van is on axle stands now, (my choice) weight off tyres, can only be a good thing, and I can spin the wheels to move bearings, again my choice. I have a cover on the wheel that is in the sun, best part of the day. I use a drop of Olive Oil on the toilet seal and I've drained the flush tack and put a couple of pints of neat car window screen wash in to stop it freezing.

I have used Talc on the window rubbers, but the Silicone spray sounds better. Do you spray it on or is it sufficient to wipe on????
I spray onto cloth and wipe it. Less messy. I also use Gummi Pflege a German rubber protectant. Less messy than silicon or Armourall. And excellent in preventing car door seals sticking in cold weather. Readily available from Amazon or eBay.

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Mandarin is worried about the master switch being on. The only things that will take current if everything else is off are the radio and the fridge gas igniter. The latter is negligible but the radio can be considerable. Even if the front is off it still takes current. It is a car radio and assumes you want to keep it tuned. Some manufacturers have recently put the radio on the master switch but prior to this they were permanently wired. So it looks as though not switching the master off is nothing to worry about. Your 10 watt panel should keep it topped up if we get a few hours sun each day.

Reactions: Mandarin
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our Caravan left in storage usually with the Front Cover Pro Towing Cover left on and the blinds up and the hand brake left down .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From experience a 10 watt solar panel will not keep the battery topped up if the radio is on. It just keeps the battery topped up if everything is switched off and no more.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I never leave the hand brake on in storage due to corrosion "grip". Lots of rocking about to release them. As for the tyres, cover them if in direct sunshine. Maybe rotate every couple of months, tyres nowadays do not suffer from "flat spots" as much as the old cross plys.

My van is in storage I didn't remove the battery as we though we were going away. Oh well see what happen , buy a new one and see if I can "revive" the old one 4 years old as a spare for off grid work. When we get out again.
If theres one think irritates me is seeing an handbrake left on, in our storage compound caravans are left all of the time with their hand brake on why the compund is level ground, not only some of the caravans are left all year without even a tyre being inflated before they jog off to the coast,

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Never left the handbrake off-stipulation of our site, and never had corrosion grip. However I do religiously check the tyres every month if we're not away and just before we go away-on both car and caravan. I also check wheel nut torque after the required miles after every service too-having had friends who have lost wheels on both cars and caravans after a dealer service!!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never left the handbrake off-stipulation of our site, and never had corrosion grip. However I do religiously check the tyres every month if we're not away and just before we go away-on both car and caravan. I also check wheel nut torque after the required miles after every service too-having had friends who have lost wheels on both cars and caravans after a dealer service!!!!

That’s a strange condition given legs will be down and in all probability there will be a wheel lock (s) in place.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I know-George-owner , was very strict; we knew the van was safe in storage-if you arrived in a different car which we did once when we took a neighbour to see our new to us caravan, ie he didn't recognise the number plate etc, then you got a right old telling off-he was out like a rocket at any time-nothing got past him. Sadly he passed away last year. Don't think it is followed up like that anymore but his legacy ie signs and rules live on for eg 'slow max 5mph, you have been warned' greets you on entry!!!! i often wonder what the consequences would be-probably a birching!!!!

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I would remove a wheel and remove the tow coupling as some easy take caravans will be the first to go

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last weekend a neighbour decided to give his motorhome a run to the local Sainsbury’s but to ensure that shed warmed it up he took it onto the A350 through route. His idea was to go along the bypass a few times, loop into Sainsbury’s for the Click and Collect then onto home. Before he had finished his first length of the bypass he was stopped and asked about his journey. He explained and was told it might be better just to go directly to the supermarket then home. I think he’s now planning to SORN it and just warm the engine through on the drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts