Any Scrabble aficionado’s

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I’ve played scrabble for years, I’ve tried the online versions such as words with friends but I think playing on a proper original scrabble board has a different feel, much more tactile than tapping on a phone or an iPad, so I bought a new scrabble before Christmas as there was mostly going to be just me and her indoors, I binned our old board and we finally played today with the new one, so here is my question... across the top of the board the squares are numbered 1 to 15, down the left side the squares are identified A to O.....WHY??? The old board has been crushed in the bin wagon so I can’t see if they are the same.
I’ve a possible reason but I’ve googled the question but no answer so I thought I’d see if anyone had a certain answer, my reason I’ll keep to myself rather than put my reason into peoples head, regardless of this query it was great to enjoy a couple of hours playing.

BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Only a guess, but is it so you could use the board to play by post, text or email. So each square can be identified as with battleships.

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi John that’s what I thought but it would be almost impossible to play over the phone because each player would need to have a full set of tiles and tell each other which letters they’d picked up, then which they’d played and where they’d placed the tiles, strange there is no mention of a reason online that I can find, unusual for internet to not answer

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi John that’s what I thought but it would be almost impossible to play over the phone because each player would need to have a full set of tiles and tell each other which letters they’d picked up, then which they’d played and where they’d placed the tiles, strange there is no mention of a reason online that I can find, unusual for internet to not answer

Well thought through.

Bing bored I did some research. And came up with nothing at all. At one stage I thought I had something. I googled Scrabble board in images. Two had the numbers and letters. But both just took me to Wikipedia with no explanation.

I will watch with interest, not because I am any good at the game, just curious.

John

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I've just ventured out to the caravan to check our board, and it has the numbers and letters on it. In the bottom left hand corner it shows a copyright date of 2003, so it is a relatively new board. If you Google Scrabble Board and then look at the Images option, it does show some (possibly older versions?) which don't have them. No idea what they're there for, though.......

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
this could be one of those mysteries that never has a definitive answer, it’s so unusual to ask a question on google and not get even an idea of where to look further, at least it takes our minds off more mundane topics.

BP

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts