Apple air tags, Good or what. Something you all should be aware of.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Apple trackers on Caravans, the good and bad. (Called AirTags)

You might not be aware of the small trackers that Apple sell for under £30. They use a CR2032 battery (I think) and last about a year. Not fully conversant in the way they work. I think they detect the location by using any Apple phone that happens to be passing to find the GPS location. Great if it’s in a busy location. On the app you can see the position on a map precisely. So a cheap way of adding a bit more security to your van, if you have an iPhone. These devices can be use on keys, cameras, anywhere.

There have been cases in Canada where villains have attached these to high value vehicles, found the location at a later date and stole them. They do beep occasionally but you are unlikely to hear it if it’s hidden somewhere outside the car. If you have an iPhone and you are travelling with one of these trackers, your phone detects in and you know you are being bugged after a mile or so. If you don’t have an iPhone then you will not know about it and are unlikely to hear the beep. You won’t know thieves are interested in your vehicle.

So there are good and bad points, which led me thinking. My local dealer puts the surname of the purchasers of a caravan. You can wander round the yard and locate names, and with one of these trackers there must by a myriad of scams possible. With a bit of detective work they can call you at home, “Mr Smith, the new caravan you purchased from Jones caravans, you collected it on xx/yy, there is a safety recall on the Alco ATC fitted, it has to go back to the factory. We will collect it and return it, ….. they will have all the answers to your questions ready?

Implausible?

Has anyone experience of these devices? For More information listen to the PC Pro Podcast 572. About 25 mins and 30 seconds into the prog.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The simple answer is to instruct this local dealer not to display your surname anywhere on the caravan, or use another dealership if they insist on displaying your name.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
But the caravan might have an air tag attached, the villain knows where the van is and uses old fashioned theft. Or follow someone up a motorway and look for possible places where the van is parked at motorway services to see if it’s left unattended. They could learn the pattern of your travel., favourite stops, favourite sites etc. Potentially very worrying.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
But the caravan might have an air tag attached, the villain knows where the van is and uses old fashioned theft. Or follow someone up a motorway and look for possible places where the van is parked at motorway services to see if it’s left unattended. They could learn the pattern of your travel., favourite stops, favourite sites etc. Potentially very worrying.
An often repeated phrase on this forum in relation to caravan theft is :'if they really want it, they'll take it'.
To try to counter caravan theft we employ tracking devices, hitchlocks, wheel clamps, corner steady locks, secure storage coupled with adequate insurance in the event of the thieves succeeding.
A caravan owner could add their own air tag and an active alarm so that they or the police could track a stolen caravan.
In common with other forum members I never leave our caravan unattended on motorway services or in lay- by's.
Caravan theft will always be a problem, but having taken every reasonable precaution against theft, and with an up to date insurance policy in place I personally prefer to enjoy touring caravan ownership rather than to spend my time worrying about it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
An often repeated phrase on this forum in relation to caravan theft is :'if they really want it, they'll take it'.
To try to counter caravan theft we employ tracking devices, hitchlocks, wheel clamps, corner steady locks, secure storage coupled with adequate insurance in the event of the thieves succeeding.
A caravan owner could add their own air tag and an active alarm so that they or the police could track a stolen caravan.
In common with other forum members I never leave our caravan unattended on motorway services or in lay- by's.
Caravan theft will always be a problem, but having taken every reasonable precaution against theft, and with an up to date insurance policy in place I personally prefer to enjoy touring caravan ownership rather than to spend my time worrying about it.

Though I completely agree with Parksy, I have just been researching the air pads and I am very impressed. I am considering getting them for my great grandchildren. Should they get miss-placed in a theme park, shopping centre etc., they sound like would be an ideal way of finding them.

I did not renew my Phantom Tracker as I don’t think the benefits out way the cost. But for sub £30. If I was to place one in the van it would be out of range when in storage. After 3 days it will beep. I don’t know how long this goes on for and if it will flatten the battery.

People seem to have I used them successfully in cars however,

John

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The simple answer is to instruct this local dealer not to display your surname anywhere on the caravan, or use another dealership if they insist on displaying your name.
I would think that under Data Protection laws that the dealer may need your permission specifically for the purpose of associating your name to a caravan where the general public can access any of your details?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From a quite interesting use of Apple tags theres a sense of unease now about what has been common practice at most dealerships I have used. Need a sense of proportion. We can’t spend our lives looking for risks that are unlikely to affect us.

Reactions: Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure that your name on the caravan is a problem. We have a very common surname and provided no initial was shown the name would need a lot of searching to even identify and even then what would they do with it. It might be possible with uncommon surnames but I find it hard to believe thieves would try that one.
If a thief did I would be suspicious of the call simply because in any case I can think of the first thing a dealer would do is ask you to return it. The thieves are likely to turn up with a battered old Transit which again would make most people suspicious as that is not what most dealers have. It is possible but very unlikely to happen.
There are easier ways to seal a caravan though so why would they risk showing you there face which this would require.
The Apple air tag does look to be a potential problem. What happens if you fit one and a thief does, do they both work or would one cancel out he other. At the end of the day them knowing where the caravan is does not help them, assuming you keep the security up, so they may as well just find one to steal in the normal way. Possibly it is not the problem it first looks to be.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The thieves are likely to turn up with a battered old Transit which again would make most people suspicious as that is not what most dealers have. It is possible but very unlikely to happen.
Most seem to have new transits perhaps derived from proceeds of crime?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bought a pack of 4 Apple AirTags for £80 from Amazon. I’ve put one in the caravan and one on the cats collar, after a week of monitoring the cats movements I’m really impressed by their accuracy.
Does it depend on some sort of signal to pinpoint a location i.e. rural ara where the signal is poor however I guess that for those living in towns etc it would be very helpful.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I would think that under Data Protection laws that the dealer may need your permission specifically for the purpose of associating your name to a caravan where the general public can access any of your details?
not sure, but but vans going in for a service, not just purchases, get the “name” treatment. They are a one of the “ preferred dealers” of a caravanning club.

need a data protection expert!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Though I completely agree with Parksy, I have just been researching the air pads and I am very impressed. I am considering getting them for my great grandchildren. Should they get miss-placed in a theme park, shopping centre etc., they sound like would be an ideal way of finding them.

I did not renew my Phantom Tracker as I don’t think the benefits out way the cost. But for sub £30. If I was to place one in the van it would be out of range when in storage. After 3 days it will beep. I don’t know how long this goes on for and if it will flatten the battery.

People seem to have I used them successfully in cars however,

John
These are very low power devices. once they have Hooked up with a passing Apple phone, the location of the Air Tag is transmitted by that I phone.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
These are very low power devices. once they have Hooked up with a passing Apple phone, the location of the Air Tag is transmitted by that I phone.

I understand that. In my case, while in storage, I would not expect it would find a nearby phone to link to. But on the road. I wonder how easy it would be to link to a passing car, there is a lot of metal for the signal to pass through. However, as reported before. People are using them successfully in cars.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I see Apple have now released an App for Android devices that can be used to check if there’s an Apple tracker that you do not own nearby.

Apple launches Android app to address AirTags tracker fears https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59654726

OC , thanks, but the link does not work as the whole sentence has been included in the hyperlink. Needs editing me thinks. It will work by just pasting from the https:

If I were an android user I think I would install the app. It will notify you if an airtag has been placed on you or your property.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC , thanks, but the link does not work as the whole sentence has been included in the hyperlink. Needs editing me thinks. It will work by just pasting from the https:

If I were an android user I think I would install the app. It will notify you if an airtag has been placed on you or your property.

John
I did say in a subsequent post to look it up on the BBC News website Technology section . #13 refers. I have edited the link and it still doesn’t load. Thank you for the feedback. This one works

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59654726

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I understand that. In my case, while in storage, I would not expect it would find a nearby phone to link to. But on the road. I wonder how easy it would be to link to a passing car, there is a lot of metal for the signal to pass through. However, as reported before. People are using them successfully in cars.

John
If it’s in storage then there are likely to be few passing iPhones, so it’s position won’t be picked up as it’s not changed. If the van moves I would expect it would pick up other phones quite quickly, and it’s reported position would change.

John
here is an example of someone who posted an AirTag to a friend, and followed it on his Apple devices, from Stratford on Avon to London

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If it’s in storage then there are likely to be few passing iPhones, so it’s position won’t be picked up as it’s not changed. If the van moves I would expect it would pick up other phones quite quickly, and it’s reported position would change.

here is an example of someone who posted an AirTag to a friend, and followed it on his Apple devices, from Stratford on Avon to London

Interesting link. I wonder if when the friend drove 20 miles with only a couple of updates might be that the tag recognises the phone is the same so updates less often.
Either way, it would appear that the warning it gives out after being left away from the owner may be overlong and possibly touch and go. I think I read it does not work with older operating systems.

Some reviews complain that Apple are laxed with technical info. But a punt can easily be taken at the cost.

John

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Interesting link. I wonder if when the friend drove 20 miles with only a couple of updates might be that the tag recognises the phone is the same so updates less often.
Either way, it would appear that the warning it gives out after being left away from the owner may be overlong and possibly touch and go. I think I read it does not work with older operating systems.

Some reviews complain that Apple are laxed with technical info. But a punt can easily be taken at the cost.

John
Just ordered one

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 21, 2022
Visit site
I would say it will put you in danger! Aitags could be easily tracked, burglars could easily learn your usual route and your stops. Don't stick it to your van, I do not recommend you doing this

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would say it will put you in danger! Aitags could be easily tracked, burglars could easily learn your usual route and your stops. Don't stick it to your van, I do not recommend you doing this

Surely the same could be said about being tracked by your phone. But first the phone would need hacking, or you would need a friends and family invite. Do people have usual routs and stops with a caravan?

John

Reactions: Pfcmike
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This may give an incite into the potential dangers of the Airtag.

That is a different thing Sam. It refers to tags which have been planted on to you or your possessions. A problem which has been at least partially fixed by an update.

——————-

This is copied from https://www.macrumors.com/guide/airtags/

If an AirTag that someone else owns is in your belongings and has been traveling with for you awhile, your ‌iPhone‌ will send you an alert about an AirTag being detected near you, which will prevent someone from tracking you with a planted AirTag. You will get an alert on an AirTag that's with you when you return to your home address or to a location that's frequently visited.

When this happens, you'll see a notification that says "AirTag Detected," which you can tap to disable the AirTag. If the AirTag is attached to an item you're borrowing, you can choose to turn off "AirTag Detected" notifications for one day. If it's an item from a family member, you can turn off Safety Alerts for those who are in your Family Sharing group.

AirTag Detected alerts are only triggered when an AirTag is separated from its owner, so you don't need to worry about friends or family members with nearby AirTags.

—————————-

It is not the same as a potential thief or stalker gaining access to your own registered tag.

John

TRENDING THREADS