Apple Maps capability

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last Sunday I was in Coventry and had to go into the city to a Morrisons/Timpsons to get some keys cut. For the first time I used Apple Maps via Apple Car Play. The instructions were clear and easy to follow, and although the screen showed speed limits it did not show speed, whereas my Garmin and cars own satnav show speed limits and speed. But the instructions took me to a HGV goods inward area not the normal access to the stores car park. Fortunately I spotted the glitch and there wasn’t an issue.

Had to shoot up to Coventry again yesterday to settle BIL down who had been discharged from hospital on Wednesday. So I needed to go out and buy him some stuff for the fridge and freezer. I used Applemaps again to take me to a local Sainsbury superstore. This time it routed us into a new housing development and proudly informed that “ we had arrived’. Correct, but in a residential area with limited parking a walkway through to the back of Sainsburys. We turned around, switched off the Applemaps and drew on intuition.

I now see why I’m a fan of Garmin, Google maps or the cars own satnav.. Since online maps started I’ve generally found google superior to Apple and the much hyped improvement hasn’t really closed the gap.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Last Sunday I was in Coventry and had to go into the city to a Morrisons/Timpsons to get some keys cut. For the first time I used Apple Maps via Apple Car Play. The instructions were clear and easy to follow, and although the screen showed speed limits it did not show speed, whereas my Garmin and cars own satnav show speed limits and speed. But the instructions took me to a HGV goods inward area not the normal access to the stores car park. Fortunately I spotted the glitch and there wasn’t an issue.

Had to shoot up to Coventry again yesterday to settle BIL down who had been discharged from hospital on Wednesday. So I needed to go out and buy him some stuff for the fridge and freezer. I used Applemaps again to take me to a local Sainsbury superstore. This time it routed us into a new housing development and proudly informed that “ we had arrived’. Correct, but in a residential area with limited parking a walkway through to the back of Sainsburys. We turned around, switched off the Applemaps and drew on intuition.

I now see why I’m a fan of Garmin, Google maps or the cars own satnav.. Since online maps started I’ve generally found google superior to Apple and the much hyped improvement hasn’t really closed the gap.
Some supermarket websites do quote postcodes for their delivery area, not their customer car park - we got caught like that in Alnwick and had to resort to stopping to ask a local for directions!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never had a problem with Garmin but current car has built in system which works well. My sister in law did use her sat nav, not sure what it was to find Celtic Manor. It took her to a roundabout and said she was there and she took wrong turning and wasted some time having to go back and find it on another exit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The built in Satnav in our car is quite good in comparison to the one in our 2012 Jeep. However we still like the TomTom as that advises you if exceeding the speed limit as it is set to trigger the alarm when 3mph over the speed limit. The built in Satnav has no such settings for those type of alarms.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never had a problem with Garmin but current car has built in system which works well. My sister in law did use her sat nav, not sure what it was to find Celtic Manor. It took her to a roundabout and said she was there and she took wrong turning and wasted some time having to go back and find it on another exit.
One advantage of Celtic Manor is as you filter off of the M4 this huge edifice is right there sat up on the hill in front of you at one o’clock, with brown signs a plenty. 😃

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I do like Google maps but have not used Apple maps enough to make a true comparison. I think that these two technologies are the way things are moving and conventional SatNav’s will eventually be taken over. There is no point in car manufactures supplying and maintaining there own systems, (which often have poor reviews). When they simply need to provide car play connectivity.

I think that the established map providers, Garmin, Tom Tom etc. Work with Apple and Google to provide the structure. (But I don't know this).

With regards to poor positioning for supermarket entrance, I wonder if this is down to the poor coordinates provided to Apple or Google.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that the established map providers, Garmin, Tom Tom etc. Work with Apple and Google to provide the structure. (But I don't know this).

With regards to poor positioning for supermarket entrance, I wonder if this is down to the poor coordinates provided to Apple or Google.

John

Our previous TomTom took us to delivery entrance on many occasions when we used the post code reference. With the new TomTom Go Camping I was able to input POIs for various supermarkets and now we always end up in the car park instead of delivery entrance. The POIs are more accurate than Post Codes in many instances especially when looking for some rural CLs.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Our previous TomTom took us to delviery entrance on many occasions when we used the post code reference. With the new TomTom Go Camping I was able to input POIs for various supermarkets and now we always end up in the car park instead of delivery entrance. The POIs are more accurate than Post Codes in many instances especially when looking for some rural CLs.

Coordinates should always be the most accurate. But always beware. I used them with Tom Tom to get to a French site. It worked perfectly lots of times so I blasé. So I entered them and did a quick map check, I could see it was taking me to the right area so assumed it was right.

It took me 2 miles away and down a single track road. I managed to reverse into a farm yard in the end. I had entered the coordinates correctly, but they had been entered incorrectly in the ACSI book.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts