Are we going madπŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Following a crunch on holiday the TP insurers are paying everything including alternative car hire.

All the letters , emails etc are signed. β€œ W******(he/him/his), G********( she/her/ hers)”

A restaurant on holiday called all their staff β€œServers”, not waiters and waitresses.

There are other strange things I’ve noticed. Thinking I need to go back to College for more education 😜😜

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The universal rise of social media has brought many advantages, but one 'advantage' that many may not agree with is that everybody gets a voice.
The perpetually offended and those who are take offence on behalf of others have been allowed a collective voice that is disproportionate to their actual importance in the wider scheme of things.
Politicians have made matters worse by tiptoeing around issues so as not to offend the permanently offended militant splinter groups who push their own agendas regardless of the cost to society.
Identity politics has become big business, fame and fortune can await those who tell us how to think and to act. 😑

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
The universal rise of social media has brought many advantages, but one 'advantage' that many may not agree with is that everybody gets a voice.
The perpetually offended and those who are take offence on behalf of others have been allowed a collective voice that is disproportionate to their actual importance in the wider scheme of things.
Politicians have made matters worse by tiptoeing around issues so as not to offend the permanently offended militant splinter groups who push their own agendas regardless of the cost to society.
Identity politics has become big business, fame and fortune can await those who tell us how to think and to act. 😑

I think politicians. and certain newspapers have enjoyed stoking division with a wholly artificial " catch all" phrase called "wokery" in which people are encouraged to take sides on issues, which in some cases are ridiculous and in others which are entirely justified as an evolving understanding of past wrongs and inaccuracies. Society evolves....and if it doesn't we risk becoming clones of. Russia, China. or N Korea where people. are told what to think.

Our children, I believe, have learnt to be more tolerant on some issues than an oldie like me. On the whole I think that's a good thing.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Latest crazy thing I heard today is the people that make your sandwich in subway are apparently called "sandwich artists".
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
But each to their own , I won't get wound up into a froth over it like the daily fail want you to do.
I'm happy to be woke

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
And when did staff become colleague? I note that all supermarkets ask you to 'speak to a colleague' instead of a member of staff.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
And when did staff become colleague? I note that all supermarkets ask you to 'speak to a colleague' instead of a member of staff.

Asda started that in the early nineties, and I think stores in the John Lewis chain were doing it at about the same time.

As for the "he / him" on email signatures, it's a fact that some people prefer to be referred to as "they / them", and since it doesn't negatively impact anyone else, I don't see anything wrong with that. People who prefer that may well feel a bit shy about asking to be called something that's out of the ordinary, and the more people put their preferred pronouns on their email signature (even when that's the one most people would use anyway), the more it normalises it for those who prefer something else.

Within my lifetime it's been normal to refer to disabled people, gay people and people of different races by terms that 99% of people would consider totally unacceptable today. How we treat each other evolves and how we communicate evolves to keep up.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
A well known coffee chain has been advertising 'Hand Crafted......' drinks, I can't remember which type. So the hand pushes a button and its 'hand crafted'

• Haha
Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A well known coffee chain has been advertising 'Hand Crafted......' drinks, I can't remember which type. So the hand pushes a button and its 'hand crafted'
You got it wrong. While picking their nose with one hand the other hand is scratching their bum. They then use those hands to handle and pour your coffee.

On a more serious not many years ago, we stop by an ice cream parlour to buy two soft serve 99s. The young lady took our order, went to the machine but spilt something on the floor. She picked up a what looked like a dirty rag, wiped the floor, put down the cloth, grabbed the cone without washing her hands and did the ice cream. We refused the ice cream stating why.

On another occasion in a pub I asked for a pint of Banks. The young lady proceeded to pour the pint, but the liquid was then coming out slowly so she stuck her finger underneath the tap and rubbed it to clear any obstruction and without blinking handed me the pint with black bits floating around on top. I refused the drink and we went elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS