Arisaig 2008

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,

Just doing a bit of research for next year's travels.Have any of you stopped on caravan sites at Arisaig?

Have been reading reviews.....some good and some not so good,so give me your opinions please.

Maureen

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

Thirty odd years ago the Back of Keppoch site near Arisaig was a paradise for kids with its several little sandy coves, each with its own particular species of sea shells.

We and our caravanning friends, the Scotts - you have met Kenny who was just a little boy then - were on Ardnamurchan and phoned to see if pitches were available. A lovely Highland female voice assured us "We'll make room for you" so we went to Back of Keppoch to find two men with scythes cutting hay to "make room".

When we went to square up with Jessie MacDonald, the site owner, when leaving, she said "Och, Mr. steele, you and Mr. Scott did not have very good pitches. Its 40p a night but I'll just be charging you 20p." Jessie had worked at one time as a nurse in Law Hospital near Carluke.

At that time I was writing illustrated touring articles on a fairly regular basis for "Caravan Magazine" (and once or twice for Practical Caravan) and I wrote a piece on Arisaig mentioning Jessie and I sent her a copy of the magazine.

Some years later we were back on the site and Ronnie Scott was teasing Jessie about something or other and she said "Mr. Scott, I don't care what you say - its Mr. Steele I listen too as he might write something bad about me next time."

Fairly recently, passing that way solo, we looked at the site. Sadly Back of Keppoch is not now what it used to be. It has been taken over and I think it is now known as Gorten Sands and has expanded considerably with static vans taking all the best pitches by the sea.

There is another site a few miles nearer Morar - Kaimbie, or something like that I think but, a few years ago, it was pretty basic with facilities nowhere near the CC's standards.

Rob S.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Rob Roy,

How nice to hear from you.....thanks for responding.Your comments have been noted.you might like to look at this website:-

www.invercaimbecaravansite.co.uk

The reviews for this one seem quite good.

This next one appealed to me but reviews talk about unfriendly,patronising owners( are they in the wrong business I ask myself?)

www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/camusdarach.html

All this info.is being filed away for future reference.

Thanks again

Maureen

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

Back of Keppock, Gorten Sands

We stayed their earlier in the year, it's alright not the greatest of facilities, but again alright. Pitches are either in the field or close to the beach some of which are concrete slabs. Views are really good across to Skye. We would go again, but just up the road is a CL with no facilites as such but lovely location.

Frank

Camusdarroch is the one you want. Lovely shower block, laundry and washing up areas. Two fields. The one with shower block is the best as the other is a large field and you have to walk round to the shower block. Across a small field and you are on the most beautiful white sand beach. Nearest town Arisaig about 3 miles. 5 miles to Mallaig in the other direction where you can get ferry to Skye, or see the steam train come in.

Can't get much better.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps you good folk could put my memory right about Arisaig.Around 1964 Our inlaws and us came down a small hill and before us was a fantastic sight of green sea and golden sands of which we have never seen apart from abroad,anyway we both had a Alpine Sprite my being towed by a 1500cc Cortina (bench seat with colume gear change)and his by Ford Zodiac Excecative.So we went down a narrow sandy pathway onto a grassed area where we camped, the water being just yards away.We had a small inflatible dingey and the8 of us had a wonderful time . We remember the sand castles our boys made with walls to stop the tide coming in to no avail and to this day with all the thousands of miles we have done that beach was it. However a few years ago my Wife and i called in to see if it had changed and we were saddend to see what looked to be packed with tourist and litter everywhere. We both remarked about revisiting places and how they have changed.We have several photo's of our children enjoying playing on the sands and often when we speask about Scotland that place always crops up .My question to you is ,was there a campsite there ?, there were no toilets, water, etc. I suppose these days it would be called wild camping.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Robert,

Have a look at this:-

www.traighgolf.co.uk

We found this place recently and thought it was a wonderful spot.....breathtaking scenery etc.Within view of the course was a CL with basic facilities,overlooking the beach.

We have promised ourselves that we are going back there.Being retired we do not need to go high season.

Maureen

May 22, 2006
Visit site
We have camped at Invercaimbe a couple of times, a little basic but the white sandy beaches and the views make it well worth it. Have been thinking about Camusdarroch, called in for a look while up there really nice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts