Our previous caravan never had ATC fitted and MTPLM was 1600kg (Lunar
Lexon EW) twin axle. No issues with hills when towing. We are towing
with a Toyota HiLux 3.0L auto 130bhp. The new caravan Delta TI has
MTPLM of 1800kg and has ATC.

We find that the vehicle is struggling up steep hills such as Fish Hill
when towing the Delta TI and we almost come to a standstill. No over
heating issues. Going through Wales between Worcester and Aberystwyth
although some steep hills did not slow down to almost a standstill, but
was able to keep up a reasonable momentum.

Is there any possibility that the ATC could be activating as on Fish
hill there is a very sharp left hand bend? We don't really want to
change vehicles or caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the ATC is responsible for the phenomenon as described it would be malfunctioning. It should release automatically again after registering instability and allowing sufficient time to deploy and restore stability. If it is applying the brakes for longer, thereby causing the whole outfit to slow down appreciably, the caravan wheels would subsequently be too hot to touch. This can easy checked by laying your hand on a wheel after experiencing a slowdown.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lutz said:
If the ATC is responsible for the phenomenon as described it would be malfunctioning. It should release automatically again after registering instability and allowing sufficient time to deploy and restore stability. If it is applying the brakes for longer, thereby causing the whole outfit to slow down appreciably, the caravan wheels would subsequently be too hot to touch. This can easy checked by laying your hand on a wheel after experiencing a slowdown.
This is only a guess but with the road being bumpy in that area prior to the bend and the very sharp left hand bend, the brakes on the caravan may be deployed just long enough to slow the combination down more than necessary and it is then like trying to do a start on a steep hill. At present I am investigating all possibilities and do not want to spend thousands on a another vehicle only to find that the problem lies elsewhere. I had no real issues towing a 1600kg caravan up the same hill with a similar, but not the same vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't speak for the ATC as my caravan has a LEAS stabiliser, but that works on the same principle as the ATC and has the additional feature of a warning buzzer in the towcar to tell the driver when it deploys. When it does, it is only for a couple of seconds and I notice no more than a quick short tug. I have never had it working more than once in quick succession.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It would be unusual for ATC to cause such a problem it might be worth taking it to an ALKO centre for a check over.This would also check that tthe van's brakes all set up correctly. Lastly could there be an issue with the cars power output at high loads? Is the engine delivering its full rated output?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof Surfer

Our TA Wyoming has the ATC system. We have a function light that when connected to the car goes red , then flashing green then solid green. This proves , so I am told, that the ATC has gone through its self test mode and said it's ok!
In five years I've only ever felt it come on once, and then for a few seconds. . At the end of a six hour journey the brakes are cool.
I'd follow "Other Clives " last post before doing anything else.

There are some hills on the A30 over Bodmin Moor where we do drop down to third gear with the Sorie towing 1700kgs and fully laden .
Unless you have a powerfull grunter like a Toureg or X5 for example I reckon our aging tuggers might just feel the strain of the heavy weights.
Best of luck with your investigations. Hope your surgery goes well
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts