Attempted Theft, Overnight stay at a French Aire.

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
New to this forum, But thought I would share my experience with you all.
Reading through many forum sites over the years with references to staying overnight at French aires and the many stories of break in's and items of value stolen etc, The pro's and cons of using a aire and taking the necessary safety precautions, well lit and not isolated locations around the aire. That being said, I have been towing to the South of France with our caravan in tow since 2002 and stayed at numerous aires overnight without any concerns or fault. That was until last July 2014 where I had parked at a aire called Aire de Chateauvillain-Val -Marnay near Troyes on route down to the South. I parked up close to a couple of other caravans also there for the night and near to a 24 hr service shop and thought although a noisy location but hopefully a safe one. All the family slept well and in the morning left the caravan to enter the car and carry on with our journey, in doing so went to lock the caravan to find my lock barrel had been tampered with by probably a large screwdriver destroying the lock and then the realisation that we had had a attempted break in, not a nice thought to have I must add. We called the French police who attended within 20 mins of the call. They were quite surprised that we only had suffered an attempted break in and not actually had a theft taken place. The police spoke very good English and had stated that the theft from overnight caravans / motor homes are very common and happening across the area and this aire has had 4 reported incident is 3 days!, I asked the question, is just this aire that is high risk of theft to be informed it is happening all over France unfortunately.
On our return journey 3 weeks later we stopped at another Aire this time 100 miles short of Calais and did consider staying again but spoke to a French policeman who happened to be parked up and presented the question is this aire safe for me to stay in, to be informed NO as there has been an increase in thefts from this location, so therefore, once bitten and twice shy, we did not stay and decided to keep going and board the ferry at Calais in the early hours of the morning. It is a shame that this events happened, as I have never been one to listen to scare stories but now as it has actually happened to me, I will no longer risk staying overnight at aires and will look to book sites instead!

Cheers Pete

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Lappy said:
This must have been really upsetting for you.....
Moderator Note:
Totally unnecessary sarcastic comment removed

Well said!! However, in recent weeks 2 seperate friends have been robbed in aires near Paris so the crime does seem to be on the increase and not just from caravans.

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I think he does mention he is new to the site and forum, that was a wee bit harsh!.

Moderator Note:
I totally agree , it was not only harsh but unwarranted and sarcastic.
When new users get that kind of response to postings, it is no wonder they do not return.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the information, we are looking at travelling through Germany in September and I asked the question on the forum regarding stopping on rastplatz, I was informed by people on the forum it is not worth the risk as this has happened to others. After your post now I will be looking for campsites on our out and return trip.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
We were robbed Sunday night while sleeping in our caravan!
My wife and 2 small children heard nothing, very very scary!
We were at Aire Baie De Somme, it was a really upsetting end to the holiday,
The lock was forced by i'm guessing a big screw driver without a sound so it must be a rubbish design.

Can anyone give me any security advise I have Lunar Ultima 546 2011, i need a better locking system and to stop in a campsite?

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear you too have experienced an incident / theft from your caravan whilst staying at a French aire, in my opinion, a far to common problem now across France unfortunately. I have just returned from 3 weeks in the South of France and this time for me was fine but had planned overnight campsites on my drive down after my experience last year. Whilst in France my campsite neighbour had also mentioned of an attempted theft at a aire and in their case, foiled by being woken up as their door was being opened and the person ran off in to the night. There are numerous additional locking devices online to reduce your risks of a theft, but as you have already stated, overnight campsites reduce the risks even further. Pete

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Why take the risk of overnighting in an Aire when for a few pounds you can have the (relative) security and facilities of a campsite? It's a false economy.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For some added security you could fit one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friedland-Mini-Alarms-ML3-Magnetic/dp/B0041M8YBA

The noise would likely send anyone running.

However, staying on an Aire seems to be very much more risky now, a campsite offers a modicum of security.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sadly, robberies from caravans can, and do happen anywhere. This is MY story of what happened to us, this weekend on a municipal site in Fabrezan in the Southern France department of Aude.

Naievely we left our caravan unattended on Sunday night, on a municipal site at Fabrezan and unfortunately it's been broken into. The so and so's have taken our Isabella loungers, the awning canvas but not the poles and the hook-up cable, the steps, and a cafetiere! Oh, (discovered later after my original post) and the body of the hoover, but not the tools, a fish barbecue grill but not the barbecue, my hairdyer and tongs, and all the towels! What naughty so and so takes an awning cover without poles or a hoover without the hose and tools? Everything else seems to be there, but no doubt we'll notice other things missing when we're living in it again. Fortunately we don't have a caravan full of valuables - no CADACs, TV, radio, laptops, satellite dishes, antique paintings or 10,000 in £s and €s!

There is no apparent damage to the caravan at all, no broken lock, no missing window stays, so quite how they got in remains a mystery. Fortunately, I'm not a 'worrier' and we slept in the caravan on the same site last night with no problems, and no 'strange noises' during the night! We've now moved it to a site on the coast before heading off down into Spain perhaps next weekend.

We've stayed in the Aire at Baie de Somme many many times over the years, and whilst I feel sad that a robbery has happened there, it can and does happen anywhere - and to everyone. The problem of people desperate for money seems to be growing, and what used to be a safe way to holiday no longer seems quite so safe.

But, it won't make me paranoid about staying on Aires, or staying or campsites - both have their place depending on circumstances. We're now happily on a campsite by the coast, with the caravan spare wheel as a step, our beach towels have replaced the missing ones, and my hair will have to go unstyled for a day or two until we replace missing bits and pieces. We will just carry on making sure that we don't carry too many irreplaceable or valuable things, and leave nothing in the caravan when we're not there, that we would be devastated to have to replace.

I never did like those Isabella loungers, so now have an excuse to buy two new Lafumas for the caravan as well as the two we have on our roof terrace. The total value of everything else stolen probably isn't worth the excess on our insurance - the awning was bought second hand three years ago for just £25, and everything else is years old.

I have to say that some people appear to like to report any posts, anywhere, about robberies on Aires, but few realise that they can happen just as easily on campsites!

BUT, if you're in France, and see a caravan with a pale green and grey Trio Mexico awning, with ill-fitting poles, a pair of steps which have been repaired by an amateur, and with a pale green and grey peg bag with wooden pegs (yes that was also taken), using a steel cafeteriere, and a whole selection of green towels, whilst drying their hair with a twenty-year old very compact hairdryer and some Argos travelling hair tongs, a reward will be offered for information!! ;)

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Interesting this theme has come up again.
Just back on Monday from 3 weeks to Germany.
My travelling companions, with m/home, were very sceptical about using aires, so went onto campsites.
They related a story heard before when they were robbed of little cash by intruders, believed aided by gas, as another sharing couple were undisturbed. Hence future reluctance.
Were arrived at our German Castle rally site. Fabulous 13th century building ! Satzvey.
Met up with other rallyist's, and were told by Luxembourger of his gassing experience 2 years ago.
Absolutely sure it was gas administered through fridge vents.
My comments about no fatalities ever reported from such hazardous applications drew no agreement, so all left with differing opinions of security and attacks on vehicles. Proof never produced however.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
The mini magnetic alarms as previously mentioned by Damien are,I believe, useful. I have a set of the Milenco ones on the caravan windows plus a similar but cheaper version on the inside of the door. It will definitely wake you up as we discovered the first night we used it but hadn't properly attached it, 2am part of it became unstuck and fell to the floor resulting in the alarm going off and us jumping up ready to fight off the "intruders".

Regards the opening post, some years back we pulled into that very same area for a break after an early morning start from the site we had spent the night. I had hardly stopped when we were approached by a family from Cumbria asking if we could help them as they woken up to find their motorhome had been burgled while they slept. Money, bank cards and mobile phones stolen. They asked to use my phone to contact family back home asking them to cancel cards etc.
Always remembered the service area name as I thought it quite apt although sure it will mean something different in French.
Never spent overnight in a service area and don't intend to either. Don't buy into this gassing business either.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Pedr01800 said:
Absolutely sure it was gas administered through fridge vents.

I'm rather sceptical about this! Most caravan fridges if they have been correctly fitted by the manufacturer have the vents isolated from the van's interior to prevent draughts and heat loss. Also to cut down the chance of combustion fumes. A perpetrator would need to be very familiar with his 'gas'. Could he be sure that he wasn't filling the space with explosive gas ready to be ignited by a pilot light. I guess he would be the first to know.. :eek:hmy:

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Oh NO! Not the old "they were gassed in their sleep" chestnut AGAIN! It's been dismissed countless times as an urban myth. Nobody has yet come up with any proof of it happening, but there are assurances from reputable sources that it is impossible.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Chalky9 said:
Why take the risk of overnighting in an Aire when for a few pounds you can have the (relative) security and facilities of a campsite? It's a false economy.

Its not about cost cutting. Its more to do with travelling as much as wanting to do during a day and then sleeping. it is usually difficult to find a site during the late evening

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Brum1 said:
Chalky9 said:

Its not about cost cutting. Its more to do with travelling as much as wanting to do during a day and then sleeping. it is usually difficult to find a site during the late evening

Surely you can phone ahead and reserve a pitch?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Chalky9 said:
Brum1 said:
Chalky9 said:

Surely you can phone ahead and reserve a pitch?

We regularly stay in aires travelling across France, Spain and Portugal and have never had any problems. The reason we don't stay in campsites, whilst travelling, is that we don't know how far we're going in a day. Sometimes I feel fresh enough to do 600 miles in one day, starting early and travelling on into the night. Other days, maybe because of traffic, we only do 400 miles before we feel like stopping. When we return from the UK we usually get the Brittany Ferries boat that arrives about 9.15pm. We drive about an hour South and stop in an aire, always one with a cafe and filling station and always on the peage sections.

So long as you are careful (we stop in the lorry park and get between 2 lorries - hopefully not fridge ones) I don't see a problem.

Stopping in aires gives us flexibility. However, I would think twice about staying in one that was near a big city.

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Obviously it is your choice where you stop. There have long been warnings on various forums - including the Motorhome ones - against stopping overnight in motorway aires, particularly in Spain.

As far as I'm concerned the journey is all part of the holiday, and security aside, a urine-reeking lorry park between two big trucks would not be my idea of a holiday destination.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Chalky9 said:
Obviously it is your choice where you stop. There have long been warnings on various forums - including the Motorhome ones - against stopping overnight in motorway aires, particularly in Spain.

As far as I'm concerned the journey is all part of the holiday, and security aside, a urine-reeking lorry park between two big trucks would not be my idea of a holiday destination.
! its not a holiday destination is merely a overnight stop and and not everyone can drive 9 till 5.. i agree the journey is part of the holiday, and just driving has its dangers.yet again too much is made of holiday makers being robbed when pulling over on service areas for the night . sure it happens and houses get robbed as well,should we stop doing what we enjoy because our homes could be robbed? pretty sure there more chance of your home being robbed than of being robbed in your caravan...and yes we should take care .me i have some cheap personnel alarms fitted to the door and windows,if opened the pins come out and boy would they wake the dead...

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
JonnyG said:
! its not a holiday destination is merely a overnight stop .
As far as I'm concerned, every nightstop is part of the holiday and should be somewhere I want to be, not a lorry park.

JonnyG said:
not everyone can drive 9 till 5.
I don't understand the significance of 9 till 5. You don't have to be at a campsite by 5.

JonnyG said:
just driving has its dangers.yet again too much is made of holiday makers being robbed when pulling over on service areas for the night.
The dangers of driving are largely unavoidable. You can't "make too much of" something which is entirely avoidable - when was the last time you heard of someone being robbed at a campsite?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Chalky9 said:
JonnyG said:
As far as I'm concerned, every nightstop is part of the holiday and should be somewhere I want to be, not a lorry park.

JonnyG said:
I don't understand the significance of 9 till 5. You don't have to be at a campsite by 5.

JonnyG said:
just driving has its dangers.yet again too much is made of holiday makers being robbed when pulling over on service areas for the night.
The dangers of driving are largely unavoidable. You can't "make too much of" something which is entirely avoidable - when was the last time you heard of someone being robbed at a campsite?

I don't mind being in a lorry park if it means I can travel when I want to - as far as I'm concerned, I want to get to my destination as soon as possible. Many campsites won't allow late arrivals or early departures (quite understandable) and that doesn't fit in with my plans.

When was the last time I heard of someone being robbed? Read ValA's comments earlier in this thread. Also, a few years ago we were looking to go to Carcassonne - reviews of every campsite we looked at mentioned theft from the caravan site.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
9-5 driving ! i wish , we came back from France August but getting to our destination from the euro tunnel was roughly o600- with a 193o arrival on site with a few stops along the way of course but I wasn't stopping in no truck stops over night as part of my holiday .

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
PaulT said:
Chalky9 said:
JonnyG said:

JonnyG said:

JonnyG said:

I don't mind being in a lorry park if it means I can travel when I want to - as far as I'm concerned, I want to get to my destination as soon as possible. Many campsites won't allow late arrivals or early departures (quite understandable) and that doesn't fit in with my plans.

When was the last time I heard of someone being robbed? Read ValA's comments earlier in this thread. Also, a few years ago we were looking to go to Carcassonne - reviews of every campsite we looked at mentioned theft from the caravan site.

I've just googled "Carcassonne campsite robberies" and the only results that came up concerned people in tents - not caravans - in ONE campsite. ValA was clearly unlucky, but some municipal sites are little more than aires.

By way of comparison, try googling "caravan robberies aires" and see how many results you get.....

Anyway, you please yourself and I'll please myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts