Austria any help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all we are thinking of going to Austria for 3-4 weeks in 2008, we are members of both cc & c&cc, After reading these topics i think i would get much better advice from you people than anywhere else.

Our caravan is 7,3 mtrs long there will be two of us plus our border collie who just loves water,

Can anyone suggest a nice site? are we better crossing Dover / Calais or to the Hook of Holland? als i expect we will need overnight stop, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated

Rick

Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rick

We went to Austria last year - what a wonderful country! We have a 8m twin axle and had no problems. We stayed in two campsites, the first was www.sportcamp.at - the camp site was called Woferlgut. The toilet blocks were true luxury! Situated at the start of the Grossglockner. If you want to go up the Grossglockner, you need to pay. Just a little tip - if you think you would want to do the journey more than once, get a 30 day pass. It is not much more than paying for one day, and well worth it. We needed several days to explore all of it. There is loads to do around and about as well. The site gives you a little booklet with money off vouchers. Very friendly staff. The second site was www.camping-hall.at - this was just outside Innsbruck. A municiple site, quite different to the first site, but lovely all the same. Our 'van was too big to get onto one pitch, so we were given two!! (and only charged for one). They have a policy of not accepting twin axle caravans, but we phoned ahead and they told us it would not be a problem. The showers there are very clean (the site manager cleans them with a power-washer!!!), but they are 'outside' showers - by that I mean that they are in a row with all the doors opening to the outside. The swimming pool is free - come and go as you please. Very handy in the hot weather. Hall is a lovely town, within walking distance of the site. We came over Dover/Calais, and stopped near Limburg on the way down. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the site, but we got it off the internet. If I remember the name I will let you know. I just know you will have a wonderful time in Austria - we did.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have been to Austria for 4 years running and are going again in 2008.

We stop near Bitburg at Oberweis 5 star site in Germany, the Black Forest at Site named Alisehof 5 star, at Innsbruck, and Lake Garda on the way as we go for 9 weeks at a time. 2 sites we stay at every year are Jodl Camping on Ossiachersee in the south and Austria Camp on Mondsee, nr to Salzburg. Though the later is not included in the ACSI Camping Card Scheme it is very good. We join ACSI every year and get the Camping Card and Book. Available on line on the ACSI website. All the sites in this book are recommended and whatever stars they have you can pay 10 - 12- -14 euros,a night except for July/Ausust.

We have taken an Amara 520 and this year a Twin Axle 8 metre van and have had no problems.

At the moment I have not all the details names etc of the sites to hand but it you reply to this notice with interest re sites or ACSI I will reply straight away.

Dianne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi thank you for your replies, We are very Intrested in the details that you have on Austrian sites, Our van is the Amara 530/4 what route did you travel? I will try looking up the sites that you have mentioned, look forward to recieving more info

Rick

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I'm glad Austria is the topic. After another year of bad wether in France, were changing venue.

I have got our dates sorted, last 2 weeks in June. But I can't get any ferry prices yet. When do P & O and Seafrance start next years fares?

Also I'm wnating to go to Salzburg, where would good sites be that aren't difficult to get to and pretty falt.

Plus another also !! Which is the best way to buy the passes you need for driving over there??

All help needed with this new venture..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there smiley

We stayed in Salzburg this summer. The site we used was Camping Nord Sam and it is about 5 mins. from motorway and it is signed, but they are small. The site has a small swimming pool and is quite clean and tidy. There is no restaurant but there are two within walking distance. The pitch size does vary but we were able, just, to put up the big awning and two pup tents and get the car on pitch with our twin axle. It is very handy for the sights and there is a bus stop just outside the camp. I probably would not use the site for longer than a city visit but we enjoyed our 5 days. The web site is www.camping-nord-sam.com/....it is worth a look.

You can buy your vignette at service stations in Germany before you enter Austria. They cost 7.60 Euros for 10 days. Happy travels BarryB

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi We travelled down through Germany and then Innsbruck in Austria to Garda in Italy then to Tuscany before coming up to Austria Ossiachersee, Vienna and then Mondsee near Salzburg.

If you do not go to Italy you could travel straight from Innsbruck to Mondsee then down to the Southern Lakes these are beautiful.

The sites we stopped at going down were.

No. 1 - Prumtal-Camping Oberweis. www.pruemtal.de. (Good for visiting Luxemburg 20 mins away good cheap fuel.)

No.2. - Alisehof Schwarzwaldcamping, Bad Rippoldsau-Schapbach

www.camping-online.de

No. 3 - Camping Innsbruck Kranebitten - www.campinginsbruck.com

These 3 sites were all in the ACSI card book and were 14 euro's per night.

If you do not go to Italy No. 4 site would be Mondsee near the town where the church was used for the Cathedral and Wedding in the film Sound of Music. This site is flat right on the shore of Lake has restaurant etc., very beautiful area near to Wolfgangsee and Salzburg also handy to visit Berchesgarten and the Eagles Nest and the Konigsee.- www.jvp.or.at/camp featured in the CC Europe directory as all the sites are too.

No. 5.Camping Jodl at Ossiach right on the lake. tiered site, www.camping-jodl.at (This is our favorite site has everything including Wi-Fi. Lovely friendly family and Scenery is fabulous We have booked for whole month of May 2008 here.) ACSI card 14 Euro's out of season. (1 hour to Lake Bled in Slovenia good for the day out)and numerous mountain passes in Austria.

We then went on to Vienna Donaucamping Tulln (good for training into Viennaand trips on the Danube from nearby Tulln town.) before going to Mondsee, Camping Waldsee near Nuremburg to the Rhine - Campingplatze Bruckenschanke, Eltville-Hattenheim ( not listed in any of the books but stopped there with German caravaning friends) Last stop back at Oberweis for 3 nights and then for overnight stop La Bien Assise Chateau Camping at Guines, near the Tunnel at Calais (featured in the Caravan Club for a good night halt and stay.) Can give you more details of these last 4 sites if requested.

ACSI website is www.campingcard.com

All the sites suitable for large vans as we had up to last year Amara 520 and this year traveled with Eldiss Storm (8049 mm shipping length) twin axle. Any more questions? I will try to answer.

Dianne.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Smiley

If you read the comments I just sent Rick it might help you a little also good site for Salzburg.

Note comments and info on ACSI as you will be in the out of season time.

If you fancy going via the Tunnel you can book on the Caravan Club site now for June. We always opt for the Tunnel a little more expensive but good especially with a large van like ours.

Dianne

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Diane, Youv'e got me pointing in the right direction to get started. It is only for a short break, just me and hubby to see the sights.

It's got to that time of life were going to say to the offspring, this is us now!!

Well, at least one tour of the year anyway.

I'm quite sure I'll have more questions once I delve deeper.

BBFN

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is really a question for BarryB.

I noticed you stayed at Nord Sam. It was 15 years ago we stayed there but are thinking of returning next year as it is so convenient for the City. When we were last there I was aware of a lot of noise from a local railway shuting yard. Was it something you were aware of?

Thanks

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there David

In answer to your question about noise....NO. I do not recall any noise at all. To be fair we were out most of the time during the day, and at night I cannot recall any of our family talking of noise either. Hope you enjoy your stay.

BarryB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barry

Thanks for that. I think if it was still there you would have noticed. We are hoping to do an extended tour of Austria and that area next year and I am surewe would want to return to Salzburg

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For David Klyne

Hi David....its BarryB here............my wife is just in from work.....she says she can remember some odd noises at Nord Sam...but they were not intrusive. hope this helps. BarryB

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I stayed in the region of the German/austria border for many Summers staying at various places including Salzburg.Try the following Link its in English and quite good.

http://www.campsite.at/En/default.htm
Just a warning when it rains in this area it RAINS! Lake campsites (campsites with see on the end) are better than the river sites, the rivers will rise quite quickley from the run off from the mountains.

Just over the border in germany is Berchtesgaden and the Eagles Nest who's previous owner was the Man with little moustache. About 50 Mins drive from Salzburg and well worth a visit.

Ian Sugden

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts