Autobraking disabled?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On another forum a poster has stated that if your car has automatic braking as this needs to be disabled when towing. This is supposed to prevent jackknifing the unit brakes unexpectedly. I have never heard of this. but has any one else.

I admit I cannot recall if our vehicle autobrakes when towing as cannot recall as have not towed for several months plus being observant I take action to be proactive and avoid such situations.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t know, but I can think of two variations of auto braking,

The first is to maintain speed under cruise control. My current car does not brake if the it goes over speed. But my last car did, I remember the brakes coming on when going down a long hill. It was very gentle, but took me by surprise. It would not have upset the caravan, if I had been towing.

The second, which my current car does have, is probably more severe. Though I have never tested it. And that is automatically braking if you get too close to the car in front. Or head straight for a wall. But this only works t lower speeds, up to 30 I think. I doubt it would have caused a Jackknife.

example.

But best not to rely on it.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On another forum a poster has stated that if your car has automatic braking as this needs to be disabled when towing. This is supposed to prevent jackknifing the unit brakes unexpectedly. I have never heard of this. but has any one else.

I admit I cannot recall if our vehicle autobrakes when towing as cannot recall as have not towed for several months plus being observant I take action to be proactive and avoid such situations.
In this context, I don't see that auto braking is any different to the driver braking - in a straight line it'll activate the caravan brakes through the over-run hitch and at a sharp angle, it'll cause a jack-knife.

I wonder if this "advice" has come from Australia or North America where over-run trailer brakes aren't used.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In this context, I don't see that auto braking is any different to the driver braking - in a straight line it'll activate the caravan brakes through the over-run hitch and at a sharp angle, it'll cause a jack-knife.

I wonder if this "advice" has come from Australia or North America where over-run trailer brakes aren't used.
Definitelyb a Brit! Personally I think it is a load of rubbish as ther is no reason to disable the auto braking.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Can it be done and is it legal to do so. If the autobraking is so hard as to cause a jack knife you were going to crash!

Reactions: JTQ
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Be interesting to hear if there was any logic on this. Autobraking systems attached to cruise and distance are gentle and emergency systems are just that. Crash or brake,mmmmmmmm

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes but sthey'd be recalled or fixed under warranty. Father in laws Nissan Leaf had that recall. Simple software update,not that he could tow with it.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
F I T never had any issue with his Leaf,it was a great car. The autobraking cruise control worked a treat easing off to maintain a set speed and gap on the motorway. Vehicles coming on on slipways occasionally confused it but it was gentle and wouldn't cause a jack knife and the odd time on a corner when a vehicle was approaching but they must've identifies and cured an issue but I used it and would've had no qualms using it to tow if it was a towcar.

Reactions: Beachball
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Definitelyb a Brit! Personally I think it is a load of rubbish as ther is no reason to disable the auto braking.
Agreed, my guess some stuck in the mud bloke chucked out a post with no experience or knowledge.
My a4 been towing for 2 1/2 years with it, auto hand brake and auto braking in cruise control, that is when going down hill, towed all over including into Cornwall up and down the hills of the A30 absolutely superb and I have the opposite opinion, makes towing safer no issues of overspeed going down hill keeps the outfit super stable

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts