Avondale Argente

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,
After months and months of searching we seem to have our perfect caravan with the ideal layout. It is our first starter caravan and with a young family money is tight. It is a private sale from a family who have older kids who no longer want to go caravanning. It's not been used for two years and is in storage without a cover so the outside is green in places and needs a damn good wash. The inside needs a bit of titivating but it's 2003 so that is expected. My one concern is that the owner tells me it had a leaky seal over the window a few years ago and got damp. The seal was professionally repaired but he didn't replace the panel as it was just cosmetic and it didn't affect him as he was keeping the van and it was behind a curtain. The van doesn't smell damp at all but I would want the panel replacing. How much would this cost roughly ? And would it be worth getting an independent engineers report done ? The bloke seems straight up and the van comes with everything including full awning for £3k. Thoughts please

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Get a mobile engineer to do a damp test all around the van. If it is damp free then buy it, but it's probably not worth the cost to replace the panel as the windows will need to be removed and resealed again thus possibly causing a future leak problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Without a doubt, if you are new to caravanning, and considering the age and history of the caravan of having had a significant water leak, it will definitely be money well spent to have a professional survey done. Mobile caravan service guys are probably your best bet.

I do not wish to impugn the seller, and he may be being perfectly honest, but the bad guys can also seem plausible until you start to get professional involved.

Get it surveyed, the mobile guy will probably be able to give a realistic estimate for the cost of repairs, but be very mindful that damp issues in caravans are rather like the proverbial iceberg, where you can only see a small percentage of what really going on. Avondales are no longer made so access to brand specific spares will be difficult.

It would not surprise me if the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the caravan

Take care, and don't be afraid to walk away from teh deal if anything seems a bit suspect.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree, any caravan that has had a damp repair needs checking and that will mesn a professional damp check. If the work has been done well it should be no problem but you have to play it safe.
I doubt the affected panel can be replaced with a matching one so I would make sure you can live with it as it is or accept a near match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts