Avondale Rialto 535/5 (2003)

May 26, 2006
Visit site
We are new to caravanning and are in the process of choosing our first tourer. We have 3 children aged 6, 4 and 1 and I would appreciate any comments on the Rialto 535/5 (good or bad). This van appeals because of the 3 fixed bunks, which with 3 young children I thought would be beneficial rather than the the more common 5 berth layout where the rear dinette converts to a double bed with a single bunk above. Any other recommendations for 5/6 berth vans would be appreciated. My budget is around £10k but I am restricted to a van with a MTPLM of about 1350 kg as my tow car will be a VW Touran 2.0 TDI (based on the 85% rule)

As newcomer all the diffent layouts etc. seem very confusing so any advice would be most welcome.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Andrew

We have a twin dinette van but do not make up the rear double. our kids use the benches as single beds and we use the bunk when on of their friends come with us.

Mind you, our rear seats are over 6 foot long

Steve

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
We have been caravaning for just over seven years now with a 1989 marauder double dinette, but have just recently changed our van and purchased the Rialto 535-5 with the three fixed bunks. We have two children aged 7 and nearly 3 and we found this layout absolutely fantastic! There is enough storage in the bedroom for all their clothes and toys etc, therefore leaving the main part of the caravan tidy and spacious for us adults and also easy for using at meal times. The benefit of being able to put the children to bed and close them off was good for them and us. It meant you could still have adult time to watch tv or talk without fear of waking them up. We were unsure of this layout but having used it for the first time only last week we are confident it is the ideal layout for us and for families in general. We would wholeheartedly recomend this caravan to families.

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andrea,

Have been searching for info on the Rialto 535/5 and came across your post and wondered if you could tell us how big the 3 bunks are in the rear bedroom. We think it looks like a super van but can't find any close enough to view at the moment but didnt want to pester a dealer until we are completely sure it is the one for us. Many thanks

Rob

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Have had a Rialto 535/5 from new,(nov 2002) it has been absolutely fantastic for our 3 children, our oldest one now 17 is just growing out of the bottom bunk, but he doesnt come away much now anyway. It is easy to tow, any Vectra/Mondeo should be ok, Vauxhalls recommended noseweight of 75kg on the towball is easy to achieve with this van. Only things I did with ours when new was to upgrade to the Alko 2004 towhitch/stabiliser, and it has never wobbled once,and I fitted a mains socket so that the TV can sit on top of the fridge. Thinking now about what to replace it with- everything now is at least 100kg heavier.New Bailey Pagent Series 6 looks good at the moment.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
had a 535/5 new in 2003. the layout worked great during the evening and night time when the bunks were in use but found that there was limited daytime space in the main area of the van. I also fitted a 240v socket to the area above the fridge to enable the TV to be used there. Two silly design points that I found irritating-1 the bedroom door opened to touch the gas heater which left a mark on the door and also meant that the door could not be left open wide if the heating was on. 2 The table stored into theside of the wardrobe which was a pain to remove and return when the wardrobe was empty buy when packed with 5 poeple's clothes was impossible.

We found the sink cover / draining board poor, but this seems to be popupar in a lot of vans.

PS. After one season we returned to a twin dinette layout with a sliding door to shut off the sleeping children when it came to TV and wine time.

PPS. There was a good write up in the C C mag in Apr or May 2003.

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I know this thread is quite a few years old now, but just wondering whether any of you still have the Rialto 535-5?! I have lost the washroom window and could do with the measurements if at all possible?! 🤞 Or better still, if you happen to have a spare Rialto washroom window, that would be awsome! 🙏🤞

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I know this thread is quite a few years old now, but just wondering whether any of you still have the Rialto 535-5?! I have lost the washroom window and could do with the measurements if at all possible?! 🤞 Or better still, if you happen to have a spare Rialto washroom window, that would be awsome! 🙏🤞
It might be best to phone around caravan scrap yards as one of them may have the window?

Apr 28, 2022
Visit site
My Rialto is a 480-2, so no guarantee that it's the same with yours. But the bathroom window on my 480 is exactly the same size as the two side windows. So presumably, they could be interchangeable.

Thanks for your message, unfortunately the side windows are wider than the washroom one! 😭. I have ordered an alternative window via Caravan Crazy now (ouch) and they have been really helpful!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts