Avtex, high gain, omni-directional aerial

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Been looking at a 2014 Compass caravan at the Lawns show today, quite impressed with them. However one thing I did notice was that they only had a radio type/style aerial on the roof, and not the 'usual type Status aerial' up there. Not realising that the radio aerial looking thing on the roof was anything other than that, I asked why there was no tv aerial? To be informed that "it" was the TV aerial also. (The only van manufacturer there using them that I could see)
Done a bit of research since getting home, and th aerial is apparently - an Avtex, high gain, omni-directional aerial. Now my knowledge and experience of omni directional aerials in the past has not been good, (in fact the word rubbish would spring to mind.) Has any one any knowledge or experience of this Avtex one?
Perhaps only a small point, but I don't see the point in going backwards with equipment..

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
Just a piece of useless information. Also visited The Lawns and Coachman are also using this new Avtex style ariel. Claimed to be better. Only time will tell!
Bernard

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately the text of your post has failed to load to the message board.It's highly likely that the reason for this will be your choice of web browser. Contrary to popular belief most versions of Internet Explorer use older incomplete codes which do not automatically update and which do not comply with present day internet technology. Microsoft recognise the problem and have come up with a way to resolve this issue, Click Here for instructions on how to activate the Internet Explorer compatibility mode. Alternatively you might like to choose a more up to date web browser such as Mozilla Firefox

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes, rubbish does just about sum it up. Its cheap compared to others and as a Buccaneer owner I am appalled by the lack of interest shown by the manufacturer.

:evil:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
See the current thread under Equipment and Accessories.
Mine was working perfectly well at dealer demo and still does for radio. The TV wiring uses F type connectors and a splitter so you get a TV connection front and back of caravan. This are even more iffy than the old coax connectors and do not seem to be designed for a system which may get joggled about in transit.

Suggest you check ALL the connections first (which may involve removing some panel trim. If no joy forget the other caravan antennas, bite the bullet, get a mast with a periodic log antenna which you have to point the right way ( look at other caravans or nearby houses to see which way this is).

On the last 4 new caravans I've had the TV connection has never been good since the demo connection at the dealers. Not too surprised as the makers can't even get straightforward 12v. wiring right so no hope for working with screened signal cabling.

I am using the Avtex TV supplied with the van and it works perfectly well when connected to my house antenna. Now onwards I shall ignore any caravan fitted stuff and do my own. And try to get the 'as fitted ' stuff removed for discount when buying.

If they can't get this right, makes you wonder about the rest of the kit including safety critical stuuff

As Davey says, don't expect any technical support.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Elddis are also using them, but not any more it seems.

I read elsewhere that Avtex have withdrawn the aerial for undisclosed reasons. Replacing the bee-sting on most vans would invalidate the warranty but as the aerial has now been withdrawn and there will be no spares, it seems that a unit made by Teleco is the preferred fitment. It will be on all new vans from 2016 and owners of 2013-2015 vans will be allowed to have them fitted without damaging the warranty - fitted presumably by a dealer.

It is to be seen how long it will be, now that the original aerial has been withdrawn, before someone demands a change to the Teleco under SoGA whereby the withdrawl of the Avtex clearly demonstrates that it was unfit for purpose and that said replacement should be done by the manufacturer (or his agent) at no cost to the user thereby opening the floodgates?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts