awning assistance

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi All...I have had assistance from you kind folk before and am back for more if possible please.. Recently bought a used caravan (2009 Lunar Lexon SE) purchased from people who due to ill health were giving up the touring game.. The caravan came with everyting.. And I mean totally everything... Well pleased with what we have got.. Now the issue.. The porch awning that it came with is a Smart Outdoors Smart Awning 260. (Pole framed awning).. Unfortunetly the manurfactuer`s instructions that came with it are total rubbish..Tried to get in touch with the manufacturer but they aren`t too helpful....Long shot but does anybody have a set up diagram of this typeof awning. Looked on You Tube and have gleaned a good bit from there from other manufactuers but there are a few poles with bent wire clips coming out of the top of the pole that I am lost with.. It may become apparent when I actually have a go at setting it up on site in a couple of weeks but any advice would be greatly appreciated. tried to attach photo links of the type of awning and the mystery poles with the wire clips,,, https://ibb.co/eVUhKG; https://ibb.co/dChrDb; https://ibb.co/nE3WDb; https://ibb.co/nwhf6w

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Ok some guesswork here having looked at the illustrations provided. Presumably there are further poles (?fibreglass or curved steel/alloy) to make up the curved roof structure? In which case I think the poles you have shown connect in sets to make two poles. It is possible that rubber ferule down and spike up they can fit within the material next to the van walls to prevent material flapping here - or are they extras used in the same manner to be guyed out to use one of the opening fronts as a canopy? IN either case you would be looking for the eyelet holes through which the spikes would pass. Good luck!

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi.. Thanks for the comments.. yes there are other poles... 3 "bendy" ones for the curved frontage.. then I am presuning this but 2 adjustable alluminium ones for the roof and a further 2 adjustable ones for against the van ,its just these with the clips on that I am baffled with.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Don't be too surprised if you never work out what the poles are for.......our S/H van came with an awning PLUS 2 side annex' and even with everything erected correctly we still have strange poles left over!. I think that some dealers/owners just throw unknown/unwanted bits in to be safe (or to get rid of them).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry I can't help with this particular awning, but if /when you do work it out and get it set up identify the poles with bands of coloured electrical tape at the ends and make a diagram to keep for next time. You may need to use two colous at each end to avoid confusion, e.g a band of red and one of white on the end of a pole and the one or socket it connects to.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks ...plus will take a few photos for future reference... Going away in a couple of weeks for the weekend just to get used to the van and suss a few things out before we venture for longer trips in the coming months so will have a couple of days to hopefully work it all out...No need for any puzzle or crossword books on that weekend !! :)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Sounds just like one I have. Perhaps not exactly the same make but very similar.
http://www.qis-uk.co.uk/Pics/Sunncamp_260.JPG
https://www.leisureoutlet.com/canopy-and-rollout-awnings/caravan-awnings/awnings/10463-sunncamp-swift-260-canopy?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImr3hkLL92AIVpLDtCh3ZYgHnEAQYBSABEgKp1fD_BwE

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
CarlosGee, the poles you have picture look like the poles that go against the awning to assist in sealing the back of the awning to the caravan side. Normally the tubes are held together with a wire spring and I think the loops sticking out should be pushed into the next tube. The poles when fitted together and used are with the spike into the ground and the end with the bung into the top of the awning. But normally there is a tube with a clamping screw to make the pole adjustable.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Carlos, I have just reread your postings I have the feeling these are maybe spare from the previous owners, previous awnings, I have many different poles from previous awnings. Try pulling on the wire loops to see if they are springs. They maybe used to support the front flap in sunny days.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi Thanks for the response.. link below to another photo.. I think the 3 black bendy poles are for the curved frontage.. the 2 double flat ended adjustable poles for the roof supports and thought the 2 adjustable spiked one end with rubber bung the other end are possibly for against the caravan.. its the ones with the spring clips in I can`t fathom out...we are going away in a couple of weeks for the weekend just to try things out so hopefully and possibly with a bit of on site assistance we will work it out..
https://ibb.co/h05YRw

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Carlos,looks the same as mine.Here goes,three bendy ones are fairly obvious ,but one end should be hollow(this hollow end should be the ground end) and this has a corisponding pin on awning that goes inside.The two poles with flat plastic ends go width ways inside,one at eye height,one above your head,they fit into little pockets and tie to awning a couple of times on the way across.The two longer ones with spikes on go spike down in corners to keep it snug against van side.Have fun,cheers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looks like this one? Type in towsure awning instructions,this will take you to a picture of a Panama 260.scroll down and click on download ,this should be like yours.
Sorry I'm a bit useless at putting a link on it.hope this helps.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Brasso530 ..it does seem very very similar,,, Printed off the instructions and will take them with me along with the suggestion above...Thanks again to everyone for all their help,, Cheers Carl :)

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We had the same awning under a different brand name.
The pole with the spikes are for when you want to unzip the front windows and prop them up like a sun shade (curtains closed.) You will need guy ropes for that.
The other pair might be to go down the inside back corners next to the caravan to for a better seal (our didn't work!) OR
they might go across the inside of the roof to stop it sagging and to keep the two sides apart.
Ours lasted 6 years before the zips went - not bad for something so flimsy, we thought.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Agree with alan ,
on our old Isabella awning three poles with spikes on the bottom were the front ones where you could unzip the front to make it open like a canopy and like the other replie says also to get a better fix from the wall of the van to the awning .
Good luck . You're getting there !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts