Awnings, advice please….

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys, I’m picking up my first caravan this weekend (Bailey Unicorn Valencia 2015)… was going to by a full CampTech awning but I think I’d rather have the front side windows free (more light and sight) Q:- Can you buy a 3/4 size awning? I know the full size awning needed for this particular caravan is a 1046cm size 16. Also, what is that measurement a reference too?

Thanks,
Ollie

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
1046cm is the size of the awning as fitted to the side of the van e.g. from the floor at the front of the awning rail up the side, along the roof, down the rear side to the floor. If you want a smaller covered area you can get 'porch' awnings from around 2m by 2m up to 4m by 2.5m, sometimes the side of the porch awning will cover part of a window dependent on the size you have chosen

Mar 5, 2023
Visit site
1046cm is the size of the awning as fitted to the side of the van e.g. from the floor at the front of the awning rail up the side, along the roof, down the rear side to the floor. If you want a smaller covered area you can get 'porch' awnings from around 2m by 2m up to 4m by 2.5m, sometimes the side of the porch awning will cover part of a window dependent on the size you have chosen

Ahh ok thanks, I don’t want one of those really small 2m ones tho… literally want it to cover from the back of the van to the front side window.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have a Bailey Pheonix which is, I believe the same size, and layout, as the Valencia. I have a Sunncamp 390 air porch. it runs from the back of the caravan so covers the bedroom window and the front fits between the habitation door and the front side window (so both can be opened). The picture in the link shows it covering the side window, but if you look the back is miles from the rear of the twin axle caravan.

If you shop around they can be found for a fair bit less than the link goes to. They provide a lot of extra room and all of the front and side panels can be zipped out to provide just a large sun canopy.

We are both in our late 60's and between us it takes under 5 minutes to unbag it, feed it through the awning rail, and inflate it. If you are worried about the weight simply unzip the panels to fit it, the rest retains its "shape" so the panels can be zipped back in easily.

We find it ideal for touring as its so quick and easy to erect (and having a bowed front gives a huge amount of internal space)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Have a look at ‘caravan porch awnings’ on a website like Towsure as there are loads of options both supported by air poles or traditional metal frames or fibre poles and at a huge variety of prices too.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i use to own a Vango Varkala II 280 Inflatable caravan awning it might be suitable or you can go bigger it your choice what you choose

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the Isabella magnum in the larger size.
Really don't bother using it any more.
Divorce in a bag 🤣
Never understand that saying "Divorce in a bag" as from day one we never had an issue erecting an awning as it is so simple if you follow instructions, but then most men don't! 😂 😂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Never understand that saying "Divorce in a bag" as from day one we never had an issue erecting an awning as it is so simple if you follow instructions, but then most men don't! 😂 😂
Wife's have a different theory to putting up an awning to Husband's.
My wife does the inside of the van, and the first Aqua roll of water and I do the outside and the awning.
Back to Gixtergupster, we have a 2/3 rd carbon light poled awning, fits nice between the door and goes all the way past the rear window and locker.
20190617_181216~2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our last porch awning had to go across the front nearside side window as there was insufficient space between the forward edge of the doorframe and the rear edge of the window. Not ideal. So on arrival on site I would wash the window to remove any road dirt and then when I had unpacked the awning I would also wash down the two “vertical “ material covered foam strips that the awning poles nestled against. When it was finally in position I use railstoppers restraints that slid into the awning rail. You can get several different makes but they all do the same jobThese prevented the top of the awning moving around.

Over three years of usage in winter and summer the window of the caravan suffered no scratches.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Is it for sale !!!
Sorry, no.
It's 15 years old, like new condition and has had a lot of use over the years. That says something about the quality of them!I know that as soon as we sell it we'll need it, and there is no way I can afford current prices for an Isabella

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our well used Isabella Magnum has been the best piece of kit we ever bought. Carbon X poles , lightweight but immensely strong . Withstands very high winds when pegged correctly and using the Izzy storm straps and 18” pegs which attach internally to the frame poles. I erect it alone whilst Lady Villa sorts the insides or until a couple of years ago she took the dogs for a long walk.No awning divorce for us🤪🤪

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, no.
It's 15 years old, like new condition and has had a lot of use over the years. That says something about the quality of them!I know that as soon as we sell it we'll need it, and there is no way I can afford current prices for an Isabella
Oh well just have to carry on being married to the wife.

• Haha
Reactions: Bluetonic
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Ours is only a smallish 2 berth van and we have a vango varkala 280. This goes from the back of the van to the edge of the side window and also extends 3 metres outwards

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Last time we put our porch awning up on our caravan we manage to get it half way done . Next door could see we were struggling and they came and help my wife to finish . and when putting away the warden gave help .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When was the last time you took instructions from your wife 🤔

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I think we've had pretty much every awning type/size/manufacturer on the market over the years, each time thinking that "this is the one" that will do what no other awning has done........ They all have for and against parts of their design and construction, but having spent £1,000 on a Kampa that leaked like a sieve I bit the bullet and coughed up an eye watering amount of money (thanks to a surprise tax rebate) for an Isabella Cirrus air awning (and annex) and it's been brilliant (shown below minus the annex - we only use this for longer stays in the summer).

cirrus.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think we've had pretty much every awning type/size/manufacturer on the market over the years, each time thinking that "this is the one" that will do what no other awning has done........ They all have for and against parts of their design and construction, but having spent £1,000 on a Kampa that leaked like a sieve I bit the bullet and coughed up an eye watering amount of money (thanks to a surprise tax rebate) for an Isabella Cirrus air awning (and annex) and it's been brilliant (shown below minus the annex - we only use this for longer stays in the summer).

View attachment 4507
That lloks very nice and envy you. Yesterday we put up our Isabella Magnum and really struggled as this is the first time out in several months. Normally OH did most of the work, but now has mobility issues and I struggle with my issues.

Neither of us are air awning fans as we found them very heavy to drag through the awning rail, but may now have to reconsider. Our last big air awning was a Kampa Air Ace and in the mornings it was wetter inside than outside despite leaving both doors/flaps open. We even tried pulling it through without the panels in, but it was still heavy for us and we were a lot more mobile then.

We do like the look of the Cirrus, but weight is the scary part! I guess we will have to settle for something smaller than the current Magnum if going for an air awning. I think Bradcot, Dorema and Isabella all do air porch awnings. The concern is spending al that money and then finding you cannot manage the awning. So a bit of a dilemma for us.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 4507
That awning looks fantastic enjoy

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The Isabella Cirrus in my picture previously has removable panels BUT is heavy, probably due to the thick (quality, hopefully) materials. They do a shorter (320?) version which would be lighter. They are really expensive but I was so disappointed with previous leaking Kampa that I wanted something decent and an unexpected tax refund made the decision for me.

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That lloks very nice and envy you. Yesterday we put up our Isabella Magnum and really struggled as this is the first time out in several months. Normally OH did most of the work, but now has mobility issues and I struggle with my issues.

Neither of us are air awning fans as we found them very heavy to drag through the awning rail, but may now have to reconsider. Our last big air awning was a Kampa Air Ace and in the mornings it was wetter inside than outside despite leaving both doors/flaps open. We even tried pulling it through without the panels in, but it was still heavy for us and we were a lot more mobile then.

We do like the look of the Cirrus, but weight is the scary part! I guess we will have to settle for something smaller than the current Magnum if going for an air awning. I think Bradcot, Dorema and Isabella all do air porch awnings. The concern is spending al that money and then finding you cannot manage the awning. So a bit of a dilemma for us.
Have you sprayed the awning rail and Magnum cord with silicon spray to ease its movement? You can also get extension pullers eg https://www.spares2you.co.uk/ease-i...YyEUphWJkDaY3HwiQszM4_Q7UC54Mp4YaAgPyEALw_wcB

I find laying out the Magnum in line first helps with the initial lifting onto the awning rail. Arthritis doesn’t help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts