Axle jacks

ETC

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
Can anyone help with how to put axle jacks under the axle of my caravan, to take the weight off the tyres whilst over wintering.

Thank you

gyp

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help with how to put axle jacks under the axle of my caravan, to take the weight off the tyres whilst over wintering.

Thank you
I have done this many years ago and the caravan came off of the jacks during a storm. 1 Corner steady bent. I remember that it was difficult to do and in subsequent years used "Winter Wheels"
These were no problem to fit up. Just change the wheels in the normal way with the car attached to the van. This is much easier and safer than trying to raise the van on its axle.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Thank you

I lift my wheels each winter. I don’t use axel stands now, just bricks and wood under the flat reinforced part under the axle. But first jack it up using the additional jacking points behind the axle. Ideally the van should be hitched to the car during the process for stability. But if careful, it can be raised without, I first put a block of wood under the jockey wheel assemble behind the wheel. This eliminated movement at the front end. I am careful that the steadies are not overloaded during the process.

I think it makes sense to relieve the point loads on tyres and suspension over time.

John

ETC

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
Thanks
My husband did it, each winter, for many years. I never took any notice, sadly he died suddenly and I have struggled to find out how to do it.

We did it initially as we had deformed wires in the tyres after it was laid up for 3/4 months a punctured tyre. We then put on heavier duty tyres and the axle jacks and didn’t have the problem again.
I appreciate your comments.

ETC

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
What is the point though? Is it for the sake of the tyres or the suspension or what? Unless the winter period is very long I would not bother.
Tyres.
Had the odd puncture when we didn’t do it and was told wires had gone out of shape over winter.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Tyres.
Had the odd puncture when we didn’t do it and was told wires had gone out of shape over winter.
That tyre must have been totally flat to deform the steel brading. A totally flat tyre on an axle stand wouldn't be much use either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts