B+E automatic?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
An article in yesterday’s DT suggests plans are afoot to scrap the B + E test in order to free up examiners for HGV driving tests.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Another lunatic suggestion. Its not the tests causing the issue, its the fact that not as many people want to do the job. People lost interest in the haulage industry when our jobs were being given to European drivers who worked for a pittance of our pay, we all had our contracts cancelled and were asked to sign new ones or leave. At one point agency drivers, many new and inexperienced were earning the same pay as the company drivers who knew the job inside out. Add to that more draconian regulations and the fact that our roads are almost gridlocked. I wouldnt do the job again for three times the pay.

Think also of the heat this week, and there are so few places in the UK that drivers can get a decent meal at night, and especially get a shower. No toilets in pull ins unlike the French Aires, its massively different overseas.

I would rather be back in an Armagh ditch than driving again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Two of my ex SILs were HGV drivers, one mainly in U.K. trips the other international ones. Both have now given it up. One now has his own window cleaning business with teams working for him on domestic and commercial jobs. The other has retrained in the installation of communications infrastructure and has a small business and until Brexit was working principally in Europe. But now is all over UK.

The HGV work was arduous and when they returned for some time back home they were bombed out.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The shortage is simply caused by many European drivers not returning after lockdown and there were no tests taken in that period. The second point meant that while many drivers retired no new ones could take their place. If both things had not happened there would be little if any shortage although the act they have to take a course as well on a regular basis to keep the licence does not help recruit new ones.
Personally I doubt the value of the test, which seems to be just low speed manouvres and hooking up rather than real world driving. I am all for making the roads safer but suspect this one was dreamt up by Eurocrats to fill in time between tea breaks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with the previous comments.
Lorry driving these days isn't a job I'd ever want to do.
Timed deliveries, GPS tracking, congested roads and motorways and relatively low pay.
No thanks, I had some of the best years of lorry driving but anything that was good about the job has been ripped out by cab-happy Eastern European drivers and agencies.

Reactions: Thingy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is tramping a thing of the past? I knew a chap in my local who was away all week, slept in a proper cab bunk, had a cooker and small fridge . Not my scene .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is tramping a thing of the past? I knew a chap in my local who was away all week, slept in a proper cab bunk, had a cooker and small fridge . Not my scene .
My SILs had amazing Scania trucks with good facilities in the cabs. Pretty much self contained when out on travels. One was quite put out when after a week on holiday he got in to find it had been used by someone else but they hadn’t kept it clean to his exacting standards. Mind you those standards didn’t transfer to the home role. ☹️

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 24, 2014
Visit site

We could be away from the UK for anything up to three months, but we were on a cabotage licence for that to happen.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A friend of mine, turned up at our local pub with his Huge Scania Tractor unit, sorry all rooms taken, sleep in the cab, but landlord let him use his own shower, for three days. Lovely unit. And in my fav colour Candy Apple Red.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It appears the trailer test is to be scrapped,everyone will get full entitlement from late September. This is now on dvsa website.
No more tests after 20th September but the automatic BE won't come in until late Autumn with the current restriction remaining in place until then.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If it’s correct that B+E test being scrapped so soon then anyone thinking of changing vans would be advised to wait and look at all weights that the car can tow.

BP

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Makes you wonder if this will be applied retrospectively seems a bit mean otherwise for those who have passed their test since the automatic B+E was dropped.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Makes you wonder if this will be applied retrospectively seems a bit mean otherwise for those who have passed their test since the automatic B+E was dropped.
Doesn’t it mean that in UK those who haven’t passed BE test will be able to tow 3500 kg+ and when their licence is renewed they have BE added, or if going abroad could they not apply for a new licence with BE on it. New licence holders will receive BE from the start.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Doesn’t it mean that in UK those who haven’t passed BE test will be able to tow 3500 kg+ and when their licence is renewed they have BE added, or if going abroad could they not apply for a new licence with BE on it. New licence holders will receive BE from the start.
I thought B+E was related to the combination weight and not the amount of weight that you can tow behind a vehicle if the vehicle is capable to towing such an amount? I am referring to M class vehicles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought B+E was related to the combination weight and not the amount of weight that you can tow behind a vehicle if the vehicle is capable to towing such an amount? I am referring to M class vehicles.
I should have been more accurate relating to combined plated weight of the towcar plus caravan being limited to 3500 kg if the driver does not have B-E

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Testing rules for HGVs and towing caravans relaxed under plans to ease driver shortage
Motorists no longer required to take another test to tow trailers under government plans to free up capacity to train new lorry drivers
ByHarry Yorke, WHITEHALL EDITOR10 September 2021 • 10:30pm

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back on my I pad now.
So yes, today’s press is full on an HMG change to HGV LGV and trailer ( including caravans) licence allowances. All to do with relieving pressure on the DVLA examination staff.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even talk again of registration for caravans and mandatory “ mot”. That was rife about five or so years back and not progressed. The cost-benefits were not at all clear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts