Bad caravan service

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
Who can we complain to about a bad service we received from a large concern. 1 week after having a mobile service carried out when we went to turn on our gas we found that the regulator was split and our full bottle was empty. Servicer is washing their hands of the situation.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the engineer was a member of the Approved Workshop scheme, there is a complaints procedure through them.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Long term he loses as you will not use him again I assume. As Damian suggest I would use the complaints procedure if it was an approved workshop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Who can we complain to about a bad service we received from a large concern. 1 week after having a mobile service carried out when we went to turn on our gas we found that the regulator was split and our full bottle was empty. Servicer is washing their hands of the situation.
As you don't give us a lot of detail, we can only speculate about what has actually happened.

Which type and pressure was your regulator?

I'm not asking you to give us chapter and verse, and definitely do not post names or address of companies or people involved, as that would breach forum rules, but I would like to add a couple of observations that you might like to consider.

You tell us the caravan was serviced, so that tells me it is not a new caravan. but I obviously don't know how old it is, but splits in regulator diaphragms are pretty rare on young caravans so I'm guessing yours is more than 5 and probably nearer 10 years or more old

It is a fact of life that regulators can and do wear out, and it is perfectly conceivable a regulator might work a and produce an output pressure within the normal range, and then fail the next second without warning.

Fixed pressure regulators like the ones fitted to caravans cannot be adjusted or "serviced". The only checks that can be done are an external visual check, and output "operating" and "lock off" pressure checks.

Please check the details of the "service" specification you agreed with your provider, It may not be as comprehensive as think it should have been.

Unless you can prove the checks were not carried out or the service failed to detect the fault

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Actually a safety warning to forum readers to turn the gas off at the cylinder when not pitched up - won't prevent leakage from the regulator when turned on, but a chance then that the gas leak may be heard or smelled before the contents are discharged into the gas locker and then through the vent holes, with attendant risks. I had neglected to do this when I took the van in for service and this was noted on the service record with a reminder when the caravan was collected!

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
For me you'll need to elaborate-are you blaming the service operator for not checking an item, hard to predict a split or catestrophic failure unless perishing was visible-tell us more.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For me you'll need to elaborate-are you blaming the service operator for not checking an item, hard to predict a split or catestrophic failure unless perishing was visible-tell us more.
That's my point, if the regulator diaphragm was perished, there is no practical way that can be seen, and its only when it fails will there be an outwardly detectable symptom.

Reactions: JezzerB

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am very sceptical of the original posting as hardly any information given, and in all the time I have been working on all makes of caravan I have never , ever, come across a "split regulator".

Unless the OP comes back with a lot more information then I think the topic should be treated as mischievous and in the absence of the OP posting again by the end of the week I will remove the whole topic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts