Bad drivers

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
fuel consumption does suffer when you get up to 75 mph yes but the galaxy averaged around 34 to the gallon at 60 mph and dropped to around 31 at 75 mph, i didnt consider this to be too bad really. the french roads are far far superior to ours so lend themselves to towing at higher speeds quite well. dont get me wrong i dont tow at these speeds all the time as i do agree its more relaxed at lower speeds but if im running late for a ferry then i will go at these higher speeds.
i take it you are talking about my fuel consumption for the car and caravan and not the train at 75 mph ? but out of interest the train has 3300 bhp and on full power will be doing one and a quarter miles to the gallon, however once at speed (max 75 mph) we tend to coast with just a touch of power to keep the speed up so the average fuel consumption is around 8 miles to the gallon, the engine produces 91,900 pound per foot torque on start and can produce 58,500 pound per foot continuous torque, it weighs 129 tons and holds 1400 gallons of fuel so a lot of money to fill up ! well it would be at tesco any way :~)

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steveninleo

I was responding to barry's comment, not your hgv tests.

Barry_374583992

user-offline.png

I agree with most comments regarding the quality of driving we see amongst caravanners. My view is that this stems from the fact that most caravanners learnt how to tow by hitching a caravan up and driving! Those of us who had to pass a test to tow have to demonstrate how to load, couple, reverse, tow and stop a caravan. We do need a way to ensure 'assess' those drivers who have never had to pass a towing test.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts