Bad Service

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I am not allowed to name names, so this will have to be a general comment on the expensive services we put up with. A neighbor of 74 years old had trouble with all his caravan lights, I had to replace both 7 pin plugs on the caravan due to bad corrosion, in fact the grub screws were so rusty the screws had almost disintegrated. This neighbor has always bought his caravans from the same distributor, and kept up with the annual servicing. This plug corrosion has been through at lest 2 annual services, he is well known to the dealer. Why did they not look after him, all it would take was a phone call to tell him of the fault and could they change the plugs for him. They do tick the plug box on the service form. Wake up dealers, we are your bread and butter.

Nov 20, 2006
Visit site
i think this comment is a little unfair.

how do you know the plugs have been like that for over 2 yrs? and also if the lights were wrong at service, any service agent would happily report it because they will get paid to fix them. no one ignores paid work.

plus surely if the lights were not working correctly, he would have noticed before leaving the service agent when going through the "pre-flight check"

the fact that he buys his caravans from the same dealer and has his servicing there tells me this dealer cannot be as bad as you make out.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

how do you know the plugs have been like that for over 2 yrs? and also if the lights were wrong at service, any service agent would happily report it because they will get paid to fix them. no one ignores paid work.

plus surely if the lights were not working correctly, he would have noticed before leaving the service agent when going through the "pre-flight check"

the fact that he buys his caravans from the same dealer and has his servicing there tells me this dealer cannot be as bad as you make out.
I can see both sides of this story.

I had a new towbar and electrics fitted to my Vauxhall Vivaro last August. Lat month I had to clean the terminals as the earth path had high resistance and the side lights were dimming when the indicators were in use. So corrosion can take effect quickly.

On the other side, I work as a commercial gas service engineer and I try to be as thorough as I can in my daily work. However many of my contemporaries who are also paid employees of the company as I am, have a different attitude, especially if they think their actions may result in a job they don't want. They will simply ignore a fault in the hope someone else will get it when it goes wrong.

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site

Preventive maintenance, inspect and replace before it fails.

It's what keeps Aircraft flying as well.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It is a known fact that on many occasions after the "service" has been done, some one in the office of the dealer ticks all the right boxes hoping that the so called qualified mechanic has checked it!

Friends of ours bought a brand new caravan and had it regularly serviced by the same dealer. They then moved house to another town and took it into a different dealer. This dealer then found massive damp in the rear nearside corner where the shower was located and a number of panels had to be replaced. Unfortunately as the caravan was out of the 3 year "warranty" no one would take repsonsibility until I advised them about their rights under SOGA.

They first sent a "Letter of demand" to the previous dealer and when they got no response to previous letters, they raised a court summons for the amount of the repair plus compensation. The previous dealer then bent over backwards, collected their caravan and had it repaired free of charge which is what they should have done in the first.

I go along with Paul's comments regarding abysmal service from some dealers who are more interested in profit than a good relationship with a client.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts