Bailey GT 60 Panel Repair

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi folks I've learnt a lot just reading all of your trials a tribulations with weather sealing issues. I have a problem with my Bailey Ranger GT60 as the front right hand lower corner was damaged prior to me purchasing the Van in Australia.
I've have Now learnt that the front panel is made of ABS plastic, not Fibreglass as I thought it was.
I'm now about to remove a section of the canopy rail where it takes a 30degree bend towards the bottom of the van and replace it if I can with a new section that I'm hoping to purchase from Leisure Plus over there.

The front ABS panel has had some damage and subsequent repairs have have be done albeit they are a bit rough.
There is a near vertical section approximately 400 mm long where it meets the canopy rail that has12mm high wave shape buckle in it that canopy rail now also conforms to .
I thought it was the result of a lousy fibreglassing job.
Now that I Know the front panel is made of ABS I'm a little shy about pulling it apart just yet.
The only cracks seem to be in the two pack paint over the ABS.
I need to check with an ABS fabricator if the buckle in the edge of front panel can be straightened.
Does anyone over there have any experience with this type of problem repairing the front panel after an accident

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks I've learnt a lot just reading all of your trials a tribulations with weather sealing issues. I have a problem with my Bailey Ranger GT60 as the front right hand lower corner was damaged prior to me purchasing the Van in Australia.
I've have Now learnt that the front panel is made of ABS plastic, not Fibreglass as I thought it was.
I'm now about to remove a section of the canopy rail where it takes a 30degree bend towards the bottom of the van and replace it if I can with a new section that I'm hoping to purchase from Leisure Plus over there.

The front ABS panel has had some damage and subsequent repairs have have be done albeit they are a bit rough.
There is a near vertical section approximately 400 mm long where it meets the canopy rail that has12mm high wave shape buckle in it that canopy rail now also conforms to .
I thought it was the result of a lousy fibreglassing job.
Now that I Know the front panel is made of ABS I'm a little shy about pulling it apart just yet.
The only cracks seem to be in the two pack paint over the ABS.
I need to check with an ABS fabricator if the buckle in the edge of front panel can be straightened.
Does anyone over there have any experience with this type of problem repairing the front panel after an accident
There are companies here that can do a remarkably good repair using modern techniques such as stapling and welding. Paint matching is fine using a spectrometer. Similar in fact to how some damaged motorbike fairings are repaired. If you search in back PC issues and articles there’s one described. There may be similar in Oz.

PS edit here’s the article

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/trade-secrets-caravan-bodywork-repairs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts