Bailey have cancelled my Olympus 462 ordered at the NEC in October!

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
A warning to anyone thinking of ordering a new caravan from an exhibition. I ordered a new Olympus 462 at the NEC show last October on the promise that it would be delivered in February/March 2011. We agreed a trade in, show special motor mover price and VAT at the 2010 rate. I have today received a letter form the dealer (Wandahome South Cave) saying the order has been cancelled by Bailey. They state "Bailey have made a decision to postpone any future commitment to Olympus builds until after the Pegasus 2 launch is complete." Odd, since we ordered 4 months ago that it is considered a 'future build'!
I think this is outrageous - we have booked a ferry and several sites in France, we have spent the winter looking forward too all the beneifts the Olympus promised and just before we expect to receive delivery we are told it's not going to be built. As it's Saturday, I can't get hold of any senior people at the dealership or Bailey, but have posted this as a thought provoking example of what can happen. Our hopes and expectations have been crudely dashed and we shall of course be looking for some sensible recompense as soon as possible,
I wonder, too how many others in this position - if so it would be an intersting comment on the value that is actually placed on public relations by Bailey of Bristol whose Olympus website is still fully functional.

Mike Clarkson

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
So sorry to hear about your troubles! As a Bailey Dealer we have 2011 462 Olympus in stock. If it is of interest to you please do not hesitate to contact me on 01257 220222

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mike,

A very upsetting position, and I can fully understand how and why you feel,

I am pretty sure that no manufacture wishes to renege on a scheduled production run, but sometimes it can become necessary or more commercially sensible to change plans.

Sadly I am pretty certain that your order contract will have clauses that allows the other party to cancel or postpone the order, but you will have to read the small print.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to here of your cancellation Mike, if Baileys can afford to do without your custom l would take my buisness else where, plenty of models out their that come up to the Olympus

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Mike.
This is disgusting, and shows how Bailey value your custom. vote with your feet and go and purchase a swift ( better van anyway)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like they could be considering scrapping Olympus. Pegasus 2 seems to have been de-featured and reduced in price. My guess is that the introduction of Unicorn means that the range will be Unicorn, Pegasus and Orion. Just a guess. Shame they couldn't have shown a bit of customer care though and offered you a solution instead of just dumping the problem on you.

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your helpful and supportive comments. As you can imagine we are extremely unhappy with this and hope that Bailey and the dealer come up with something more positive than they have done so far. As has been pointed out we feel we are being 'dumped on' and expect better from major suppliers. I will let you know how we get on.

Mike

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mike
Did you pay a deposit?
Whilst of no benefit to you back in 2004 we ordered a new Bailey Pageant Vendee. The order was slightly delayed and we were given a series 5 Vendee, the latest upgraded model. Looking back I would have pig sick if I'd been given what I ordered just as a new version got released.
Maybe the dealer can offer you a free upgrade FOC as suggested by others on here? Or Marge has invited to telephone to discuss their Olympus.
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I pointed out prevoiusly, the chances are the order you placed probably had various cancellation clauses. You will needt o read the small print.

If there are cancellation clauses, they will also define what limits of liability the dealer has in respect of cancellation. It is unlikely you have any automatic rights to another model.
However the dealer may feel you deserve better and be prepared to strike a deal, but they will not be obliged to upgrade, But who knows you might be lucky!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts