Bailey Pageant Series 5 Wheel Bearings

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I have a 2004 series 5 Bretagne and was wondering if you could advise on wheel bearing replacement. Can you give sizes and part numbers and whether they are sealed or have one shot lock nuts. I am traveling to France and would like to replace prior to traveling.
Cheers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
murrin76 said:
Hi,
I have a 2004 series 5 Bretagne and was wondering if you could advise on wheel bearing replacement. Can you give sizes and part numbers and whether they are sealed or have one shot lock nuts. I am traveling to France and would like to replace prior to traveling.
Cheers

Surely bailey would be a better source of information on this question. My Series 5 Bordeaux had one shot nuts as the service used to donate me the old ones. Why would you want to replace the wheel bearings? Have they done large mileage, or showing signs of wear? Commensurately why not refurbish the tow hitch assembly and stabiliser.
Going to France is not really any different than going to Scotland, albeit their roads are better surfaced than UK.
If your caravan was serviced relatively recently and the service didn't pick up a problem then it should be AOK fora trip anywhere.

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Firstly the caravan is 14 years old and wheel bearings are a spare part and consumable during a service as you stated. It was a general comment to see what bearing arrangement was on this van as they have never been changed.
I would not like to strip the hub and find out that they have a one shot application on them and then leaving me in a situation.
Baileys web site Prima leisure do not list a bearing kit for this model. Mileage has no reflection on this a bearing could fail at any time depending on the conditions it is exposed too. I have no concerns with the tow hitch as I have replaced the friction pads and damper recently. Regardless I would still like to replace them as it is good practice
Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
murrin76 said:
Firstly the caravan is 14 years old and wheel bearings are a spare part and consumable during a service as you stated. It was a general comment to see what bearing arrangement was on this van as they have never been changed.
I would not like to strip the hub and find out that they have a one shot application on them and then leaving me in a situation.
Baileys web site Prima leisure do not list a bearing kit for this model. Mileage has no reflection on this a bearing could fail at any time depending on the conditions it is exposed too. I have no concerns with the tow hitch as I have replaced the friction pads and damper recently. Regardless I would still like to replace them as it is good practice
Thanks

I canโ€™t recall my Bailey dealer changing my wheel bearings at service. The nuts were replaced as the brakes would have been stripped. I had the van 9 years with a lot of long trips and the bearings were never changed. But I do take your point that at this age it would be prudent to renew them.

This might help.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hEnAUpXpD1c

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't the bearings come as part of the brake drum. or at least they have to go to Alko to be pressed into the drum. My last Corniche was 16 years old and still on the original bearings..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
Don't the bearings come as part of the brake drum. or at least they have to go to Alko to be pressed into the drum. My last Corniche was 16 years old and still on the original bearings..

When I had to replace my axle last year Alko would only supply the new axle complete with the full brakes assemblies. Alko do a lot of good pdf downloads on all their assemblies but the problem is identifying your part number. In UK Western Towing are a large supplier of Alko parts and were helpful in identifying my Alko axle assembly.

https://www.alko.com.au/technical-literature/

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
In that case if I replaced a bearing, I would warm the brake drum and freeze the bearing, drift in easy then.
For some reason always thought they had to be pressed in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts