Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Damian

Pray tell me what the problems are.

We've owned a Peg since December last year, so what should we be looking out for?

Cracked GRP front or rear panels, water ingress, damp?

Just what are we missing out on?

Sedo

May 8, 2009
Visit site
In reply to Derek Brad: -

"Not the Pegasus again!! Spare me please! If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Simple"

I didnt say I was thinking of buying one, I simply said I like the look of it, but the front locker puts me right off it.

If you feel like that dont read the post - Simple.

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
must say that I very attracted to the design principles behind the van but just cannot understand the locker cover. It looks dreadful, like you broke the original and stuck any old one from a breakers yard on. I have set my heart on getting one of these, hope they change the locker while Im saving up!

Jun 17, 2007
Visit site
i must agree with the last post,i follow the forums and when we bought our pegasus 524, i was looking around the van expecting to find faults but i'm pleased to say we have not had a problem as yet,and are very pleased with our purchase as with anything that is mass produced there is a chance that something has slipped through but if you put your trust in a good dealer they should sort everything out to your satisfaction. h.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Damian

I feel you views are a rather polarised for a moderator. You must be treading very close to the forum rules there.

Remember that Bailey are the first or second most popular manufacturer in the country and the Alu Tech vans are 90% of their sales, so hardly a rare van.

I do note that on other forums (ones where you can display your outfit type) that most anti Pegasus commentators do not even own a Pegasus. Remember that human nature is that people will shout complaints much louder than praise, so there must be an awful lot of happy Pegasus owners out there.

Would you prefer a couple of stone dints (the two I have now noticed on mine are the size of a pin point and have not penitrated the plastic film or the paint) or cracked front panels (and it is not just Bailey vans with cracked panels before anyone says that).

Bailey have looked at the biggest issue to caravans and come up with a revolutionary way of trying to remedy it. They must be doing a pretty good job if the most common gripe is the black locker cover.

Now I will admit that there are some Pegasus owners with vans that should have been amended during PDI checks, but this is hardly limited to Bailey vans either.

We enjoy our Pegasus and have used it 5 times now. The extra interior / locker space is fantastic and the day beds are a true masterstroke. I like the simplistic interior finish (walls are wipe clean!!) and the equipment is fantastic.

Granted mine is not perfect, there is a little too much mastic round the windows (though too much is better than too little!!) and we have had a problem with the door lock.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Damian

As Zafiral has pinted out you're sailing very close to the wind.

I think it would be a fair statement to say that all British caravan manufacturers have their problems with build quality.

As with cars in the past until some, possibly foreign manufacturer, comes and threatens the market they perhaps won't be that bothered, but to isolate Bailey and the Pegasus imparticular, is quite frankly a bit rich.

Sedo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Zafiral,

Moderators are human too!

And they surely have their own views on wide range of topics. I regularly see posts from both Damain and Parksy, joining in a topic as normal contributors, Ray also posts but I see less of his postings.

I have been impressed with the Moderators displayed ability to have their own points of view, and yet also moderate the threads, and I can say I have seen no evidence of unreasonable personal bias in the way they moderate the forum.

Damaian has much relevant experience of many different makes and models of caravan through his work, and so his postings on strengths and weaknesses probably carry more credence that those of a caravanner with just few vans experience.

I don't see Damian's comments as "treading very close to the forum rules." He is not conducting a vendetta against a person or company.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
John I agree that the moderators do a fine job, but as I have said in the dim and distant past, having the suffix moderator after you user name adds authority to your post which can be unfair when the mods are posting in a personal rather than administrative (although I do understand unpaid) manner.

I still feel the comments were a bit harsh

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words about moderators!

Damian actually wrote:

'But,read the comments and make your own minds up'

This can hardly be described as a polarised opinion and in fact there are no 'rules' which prevent moderators from offering opinions or advice although of course we try to be careful not to stir up controversy.

Some owners of Pegasus / Olympus caravans have highlighted the fact that the aluminium construction of the front panels are susceptible to stone chip damage.

As a result of comments made on caravan forums and email contact with Bailey the company have recognised that there appears to be a problem and whilst they accept no responsibility for the reported problems they have upgraded the paint protection film to 200 microns on Pegasus / Olympus models built since April.

The upgraded protection is available f.o.c. to Pegasus / Olympus owners who contact Kelly Watts at

helpline@bailey-caravans.co.uk 0117 3052939

Customers should provide chassis numbers and address details.

All caravan manufacturers come in for caravan forum criticism now and again and many such as Swift and Bailey have responded to critics and made improvements to their products.

This shows the power of consumers when they act together using internet forums so rather than taking what seems like 'Anti Bailey' or 'Anti Swift' comments as personal affronts owners should be happy that problems with new models are highlighted at an early stage without manufacturers having to wait for feedback to filter through the dealers network

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First of all I would like to say a thank you to John L, and Parksy for their support.

Now, back to those who think somehow that my posting about the Pegasus was "sailing close to the wind", "a bit harsh" etc etc etc.

Let me say straight off that I do not own a British van. I did at one time, but the whole build and finish and durability were not to my way of thinking for the money I paid for it.

I now have a German manufactured van and it is faultless.

Everything works properly, nothing falls off, everything fits where it should and it is supremely comfortable and a pleasure to tow.

Bearing that in mind, I do not own a Bailey van or any other British make, but I do see, daily, the state of them and I have seen them being produced.

I do keep abreast of all the comments on every different van, as it is only by doing that , a sense of common problems emerges.

Now, IF, my directing users to areas which show weakness in design, or durability is "sailing close to the wind", so be it, if that is how you see it.

To say "Remember that Bailey are the first or second most popular manufacturer in the country and the Alu Tech vans are 90% of their sales, so hardly a rare van." is true, and the reason i Bailey vans are popular is they are in the mid price to low price market.

Being a big maker does not give anyone the right to produce goods which do not come up to expectations, and it is only by owners bringing problems to the attention of the makers that anything will change.

Take PDI's and I quote "Now I will admit that there are some Pegasus owners with vans that should have been amended during PDI checks, but this is hardly limited to Bailey vans either"

WHY should a van , any makers, need a PDI within days or even hours of leaving the factory?

Surely the van should leave in pristine condition and fully checked, but buyers are charged for that PDI as well as the cost of the van.

It is a pity that being a Moderator I have that tag on my user name all the time, as there are times when I cannot post what I actually think, because as soon as I do, ,well,,,,,,its happened.

As with all makes, those who have them and have no problems, great, good luck to you.

Those who do hav eproblems, good luck in getting them sorted out, pity it will have spoiled the experience of getting a new van.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not at all Chris, I hope you found some of the posts on CT enlightening and maybe helpful.

It would seem that I do not post as would like to be seen, having had comments made about some replies in other topics.

Unfortunaletly I say it as I see it, I do not wrap things up to make them more PC, or say things which I know not to be true, or mean.

Apart from on this forum, I am not a PC devotee and refuse to be told what I can say and what I cannot,,however,that statement may just set things off again so I will stop.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Damian

On reading the thread again I admit I was a bit hot headed and defensive.

However in my defense you must admit there are plenty of threads on this and other forums unnecessarily putting the Pegasus down. However, I am not belittleing the problems that actual Pegasus owners have had.

The OP commented on the colour of the gas locker cover so to reply with comments about stone chips et al is stirring things up a little.

Truce?

Alan

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've read the thread on the other site, so nothing has changed, the caravan industry is still churning rubbish out?

Only now we have a "new" build, along with perhaps? unexpected problems such as stone dents, and from some reports very large dents!

Why are owners of such caravans are so protective?

This confuses me, after all a car or caravan is only any good if it can be used for the use intended.

I bought my bailey in 2004 new, and then spent the next 2 years sorting out various faults, even after six years use the dometec fridge failed for the third time only last year!

Personally i am VERY grateful to people that post their problems, i fancy a new build myself, but i am prepared to wait until i have the confidence that the teething problems have been sorted.

So keep slanging of these substandard products, then maybe some one will start to take notice, but please don't keep banging on about how great foreign vans are, because i remain unconvinced.

Until that is the foreign vans start fitting different products INSIDE there vans, with obvious and proven quality.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been reading rather than contributing to this thread so far but would like to add a little.

We are identified as mods for obvious reasons. Some time ago there was a suggestion from elsewhere that, if we wanted to post as 'private individuals' we should take a second nickname and use it in such circumstances. long term members will not be surprised to learn the website will not allow two nicknames from the same email address and I for one didn't wish to set up another just for that purpose, nor, frankly did I feel we should do so anyway. Our 'authority' to moderate does not make us 'better' caravanners and there are other readers with at least as much experience.

Like Damian I now have a German built van after owning UK built vans since 1967 and - while not without it's problems - the overall build quality is the best I've ever owned. Dealer service is less important to me than to some as other than major bodywork I can fix (or bodge) most things and generally enjoy doing so.

I have watched the evolution of the alu-tech system with interest as, one day, I shall need a new 'van. My reservations concern the internal bolting system which does not appear to be rocket science and should not require dealer (rather than approved Workshop level) attention every two years. The absence of a wide front locker would disqualify these vans immediately for me, but this is a personal view and not a technical criticism.

The build quality on the vans I have seen has had several weak points, not the least of which is the condition of brand new vans at dealer showrooms. I have work all my career in industries demanding the highest standards - pharmaceuticals and nuclear - so may be expecting a bit too much, but ill fitting doors, hinges without screws etc. don't need fancy quality control, they just need inspectors with eyes and makers who take notice of final inspection faults found and don't let them happen again.

Dealer PDI is another variable - yes we should receive a van fit for purpose - after all it has been inspected by both maker and dealer - but even with my German van I had to involve Trading Standards over the quality of the PDI.

Finally thank you for kind words about us Mods - for various reasons ( including my good fortune in being retired and able to get away for longer periods) I am somewhat slower on the draw than my colleagues and they always tend to get there first.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading rather than contributing to this thread so far but would like to add a little.

We are identified as mods for obvious reasons. Some time ago there was a suggestion from elsewhere that, if we wanted to post as 'private individuals' we should take a second nickname and use it in such circumstances. long term members will not be surprised to learn the website will not allow two nicknames from the same email address and I for one didn't wish to set up another just for that purpose, nor, frankly did I feel we should do so anyway. Our 'authority' to moderate does not make us 'better' caravanners and there are other readers with at least as much experience.

Like Damian I now have a German built van after owning UK built vans since 1967 and - while not without it's problems - the overall build quality is the best I've ever owned. Dealer service is less important to me than to some as other than major bodywork I can fix (or bodge) most things and generally enjoy doing so.

I have watched the evolution of the alu-tech system with interest as, one day, I shall need a new 'van. My reservations concern the internal bolting system which does not appear to be rocket science and should not require dealer (rather than approved Workshop level) attention every two years. The absence of a wide front locker would disqualify these vans immediately for me, but this is a personal view and not a technical criticism.

The build quality on the vans I have seen has had several weak points, not the least of which is the condition of brand new vans at dealer showrooms. I have work all my career in industries demanding the highest standards - pharmaceuticals and nuclear - so may be expecting a bit too much, but ill fitting doors, hinges without screws etc. don't need fancy quality control, they just need inspectors with eyes and makers who take notice of final inspection faults found and don't let them happen again.

Dealer PDI is another variable - yes we should receive a van fit for purpose - after all it has been inspected by both maker and dealer - but even with my German van I had to involve Trading Standards over the quality of the PDI.

Finally thank you for kind words about us Mods - for various reasons ( including my good fortune in being retired and able to get away for longer periods) I am somewhat slower on the draw than my colleagues and they always tend to get there first.
reading the comments regarding pegasus i would like to add my views. We have owned a 534 since march and dissapointed would be an understatement, so much so that i have contacted Baileys to make them aware of a myriad of quality issues that we have encounted, too numerous to mention here. Most of them should hace been picked up at the dealers PDI it has to be said but there are also factory faults that no PDI could have corrected. I am seriously concerned about the long term durability of this caravan,(At the moment we cant open the door without using the key because the latch catches on the keep, unbeleivable for a brand new so called "state of the art" caravan).

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site

I am new to Caravanning so not an expert. I own a Pegasus and the reason I bought it has very little to do with the Alu-Tech system.

The wife and I went to caravan shows and many dealers and looked at load of vans.

We bought the Pegasus 554 as we liked the lay-out and finish of the inside. I even like the look of the front locker (as a previous poster says). We haven't had any problems and are happy users so far.

The only thing I don't like is the also wheel lock. It's a right s*d to put on as the wheel has to line up milimetre perfect, and it needs to be on as the insurance compant won't pay up if it's stolen.

We bought WELL below the list price and didn't pay the rip off delivery charge of

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site

I too am having problems with my Pegasus which I bought 5th Dec 2009. A few minor probs eg difficulty in getting the hob to light (been told it will need replacing), flickering led spots above fixed bed (agin need replacing), fridge door sticks occasionally, but I'm more concerned with other problems which now seem to be pretty common with these alutec vans: there are now 16 stone dents across the front panel (sustained on normal road surfaces, not recently 'dressed' roads) and the rubber trim around front and rear base is turning from white to splodgy pink (substandard rubber used). Dealer has appointed a local service agent to inspect problems and most are being rectified under warranty EXCEPT for the stone dents which Bailey are trying to pass off as the owners responsibility?????!!!!! Granted they have agreed to retro fit a thicker plastic decal panel to the front which they are now fitting as standard to newer production models but this does not help me with the fact that I now have a damaged caravan which has immediately lost value. Who in their right minds would buy it with so many stone dents on the front? I feel that Bailey are desperately hoping that owners with this problem will just go away - why should we accept this damage which has been caused by what I see to be a major design oversight? I have been caravanning for approx 25/30 years and have had numerous caravans but never come across anything like this. Surely the caravan should be fit for the purpose for which it was sold, namely towing behind a vehicle without sustaining this sort of damage? Also I do have mudflaps on my towing vehicle (Ford Kuga) in case you think that's why I have the stone dents. The forum on Caravantalk.org.uk has an ongoing topic on this problem and is in the process of carrying out a survey as to how many owners have this stone dent damage so beware if you are thinking of buying a Pegasus, Olympus or Unicorn. Until Bailey play fair with their customers and hold their hands up and take ownership of this problem by recalling damaged caravans, they will never be trusted in the marketplace by so many ever again and will lose a lot of future business. We are not talking cheap caravans here and expected the best from Bailey considering the amount of hype prior to release of these vans and the so called 'extensive' testing carried out on the prototype - I don't think it was ever towed on a normal road or they would have discovered this design fault before inflicting it's customers with all this aggro.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts