Battery charger advice...

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Good afternoon all.

I have recently purchased a 25 year old Elddis Eclipse. I need some layman’s terms explanation of the wiring. Here’s why;

The Elddis has a CP 3v control panel with a 2 choice switch - Car Battery or Caravan Battery. I think I’m right in thinking the Caravan battery is “Leisure Battery”???

I was told by the previous owner that to use my home on electric hook up, I must flick the switch to caravan battery and switch the mains charger on (an aftermarket cheap contiuonous charger) but he also told me to never leave it on for longer than 3hours (the charger). If I switch the charger off, I loose all power to the mains. I know the charger is hard wired in as I have traced the wiring.

Does this sound right to you experienced travellers?

Why I don’t understand is why if I plug to mains surely my van should have 230 without the charger switched on???

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This advice does sound odd.I don't know your van, but normally, if you're on hookup, the leisure battery gets charged as long as necessary, but not overcharged. You don't normally need to watch the clock!
I'd advise getting a caravan electrical expert to look over your system, to see how it's all wired. It may not be as Elddis intended!

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi Tony, really sorry for a late response. Thank you for your response. When you say leisure battery should be charged on hook up, what would be charging it? I was under the impression that my van would not have an in built charger, hence me buying the CTEK. I have recently spoken the ex owner who was no help at all. I do believe I may need someone to have a look but at 135 plus vat per hour for someone local, I will try and learn myself first.

Appreciate your comment

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi Tony, really sorry for a late response. Thank you for your response. When you say leisure battery should be charged on hook up, what would be charging it? I was under the impression that my van would not have an in built charger, hence me buying the CTEK. I have recently spoken the ex owner who was no help at all. I do believe I may need someone to have a look but at 135 plus vat per hour for someone local, I will try and learn myself first.

Appreciate your comment

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It would be very unusual for a branded motorhome NOT to have a built-in charger. When you plug in the hook-up, normally, it charges the battery.
Does your control panel have a battery gauge? That should give you some idea of what's going on when you plug in.

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Hi Tony,
I have a ZIG CP 3 V control panel, according to the Zig manual this does not have an on board charger. On hook up I have tested the leisure battery with meter and there is no raise in the voltage to indicate any charge. Possibly due to its age, this particular model was not originally supplied with a Leisure battery.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ah, that would explain it.
But like you, I'd have expected the 230v system to work independently of the 12v charger.
Unless you feel able to trace both sets of wiring accurately, and establish what's causing the apparent connection between them, I think you really need professional help with this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts