Battery charger check

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi just joined today. I am checking if the charger is working by putting multimeter on battery leads with battery disconnected but mains on. Their is no reading ? Fuse intact. Is there a separate switch somewhere. Caravan is 2008 Avondale arrow (dart). Does any one have any suggestions .
Thanks

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Pedro

I'm sure someone with expertise will comment when they read your post. But for an opinion which may not be technically correct I would actually reconnect your battery then test the output voltage with the mains supply switched off. Also at this point check that various caravan lights on the twelve volt side work ok.
Following that retest the battery voltage with the mains switched on, if the battery charger is working ok the voltage should probably be slightly higher than with the mains off. Showing that the charger is actually working.
I suspect that some modern charging systems actually need to detect a voltage before they start to produce a current flow themselves. Depending on what voltage is detected may determine the charging output (I'm guessing again here)

With regard to a switch my Avondale is considerably older than yours and the power supply unit that charges the battery does have an on and off switch built in.
I hope someone with proper knowledge gets back to you shortly.
Welcome again to the forum.
Best wishes
Brian

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
To check the charger is working connect the battery. Turn off the 230volt supply and turn on a couple of 12volt lights. Take a reading of the battery voltage. Will be around 12volts. Now turn on the 230volt supply, leave the 12volt lights on and take another voltage reading on the battery. Should be 13.5or6.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts