Battery Charging

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm just wondering how everyone else goes about charging up their battery? I've got a CTek Intelligent charger (Ah, there are some brains in this household after all!) I understand it's quite acceptable to charge up the battery insitu, and in fact the instruction manual suggests it's ok to leave the battery on charge all the time when the 'van is not in use. I can't see the point in doing that. Surely it's a bit like leaving your T.V./laptop or whatever, on standby all the time? Also, there is the potential for an electrical 'accident' to occur, when the weather is wet. I keep the cables under the caravan to try to keep everything dry, but prior to my last outing I had wrapped the socket of the extension cable in a plastic bag to make sure it kept dry - but it didn't work! Fortunately I found the water in there AFTER I'd switched off the cable at the mains. The alternative of course is to take the battery out of its little cubby hole and take it indoors to charge, but that seems like a bit of a *** to me. Also, they're rather heavy. Is it possible to get a weather-protected socket fitted to the front wall of the house, so that I don't have to dangle the extension lead out of the window? Sorry if these queries all seem a bit obvious; I'm afraid I'm being a bit of a girlie here. Thanks folks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always remove the battery and use the CTEK to keep it charged. But this is mainly as the van lives away from home. My CTEK is fully weatherproof so check if yours is too. The manual will give you its IP rating. Regarding outdoor weatherproof sockets. Yes they are readily available we have three at various locations. One near the rear gate specifically to plug the vans cable into although to avoid exposed intermediate connectors I just bought a caravan lead and removed its EHU connector and fitted a normal three pin plug.

Screwfix sell IP66 weather and dust proof external sockets. Don't forget fitting such may require an electrician to install or sign off the job. Mine come from exiting house circuits and are all protected by earth leakage detectors and circuit breakers in the main consumer unit to the house.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
You can use one of these IP66 Socket kits quite easily to get a safe power supply outside so that you can charge your battery..... My battery is always on charge with a fully automatic charger when parked up at home ..... The socket kit has got it's own RCD fitted to the plug end, in essence it it only a extension cable with a waterproof outdoor double socket attached, I have had one fitted outside my shed for the last five years....., and another one I have fitted underneath my van to supply power into the awning...the RCD looks like this ... and... the socket looks like this .. under the van with a deflector fitted just in front.....

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, thank you very much for your helpful input, Sproket, some very useful piccies provided, thank you, I now know what I'm supposed to be looking for! Haven't been onto EBay yet to check out the item mentioned in the first reply. I didn't even think to look at the CTek's manual to check for weatherproofing, I must admit I was more worried about the 4 bar extension cable dangling out of the window, and the potential for it getting very wet. Have had the battery on charge all day today, in the rain, and I haven't heard any bangs or sizzles, so I'm assuming all is well.
I am fortunate in that one of my next door neighbours is a self-employed sparky, so once I've got some pennies saved up I'll get him to fit one of these external sockets. Thank you all once again for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts