Battery Charging

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
If, like us, you don't use your caravan between October and March........... then its halfway between those times, which means its time to go and put your battery on for a charge!

This week, every year, I take the battery out of the caravan, top it up with distilled water and put it on a proper high amp charger for several days. This keeps it fully charged, and then is fine throughout the year getting topped up on site by the caravan charger.

The general thinking is not to let a leisure battery discharge too much, and its the right time of the year to give it a top up!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
As our van is kept at home, we have EHU when not in use, so also keep a low wattage oil-filled radiator in it too.
We're away on the 27th for a couple of weeks. You doing anything Martin?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My mate has just move to switzerland, an his Bailey Unicorn with the solar panel, needed a service, went to collect it and after 4 months the battery was ok to use the motor mover for maybe 15 minutes, I was most impressed. , Otherwise , if you don't use your van to full use and go out in the Winter months, take out and charge your battery. On my last, 2010 Coachman, The Tracker drained the battery in about 1 month of non use, I believe thats why they heve stopped fitting them. My latest C .560 doesn't have one.
Merry xmas.
Hutch.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
As our van is kept at home, we have EHU when not in use, so also keep a low wattage oil-filled radiator in it too.

Alas no, Christmas at home and then the van is going into the workshop for a few modifications, ramps and rails, so possibly not out again until February half term. NEC?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin24 said:
emmerson said:

Alas no, Christmas at home and then the van is going into the workshop for a few modifications, ramps and rails, so possibly not out again until February half term. NEC?
No mate, don't do the shows.With Anne in her wheelchair, she can't see anything! How do you manage?
Talking of mods to the van, have you seen those portable electric lifts? I think I saw one advertised in the CC mag. We saw one in operation on site last year, and I thought it would great for Anne, as she is able to walk short distances.But she, as finance director said no! It was very pricey, about £3,000 I think.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We enquired about one advertised and it was £1800, Yes a good idea but what put me off was the uncertainty of how long I'll be able to use it. Could be this year only could be another 5 or 10 years. Makes it hard to know what to do really. We used my boot scooter at the NEC in February and Jenny went in and out, described and took pics with her phone and then anything I really wanted to go into we did the usual leg lifting up and in. Worst bit was the fatigue for me just not getting a nap all day.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin24 said:
We enquired about one advertised and it was £1800, Yes a good idea but what put me off was the uncertainty of how long I'll be able to use it. Could be this year only could be another 5 or 10 years. Makes it hard to know what to do really. We used my boot scooter at the NEC in February and Jenny went in and out, described and took pics with her phone and then anything I really wanted to go into we did the usual leg lifting up and in. Worst bit was the fatigue for me just not getting a nap all day.
The nap bit would be a problem for Anne too. She can't use her scooter in confined spaces as she doesn't have enough control of her thumbs, and is likely to run someone over!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts