Battery connections

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I would be sure that mine as original fit are like these, and I like the idea that they are quick release without tools if ever required

Hi,
They don't look like quick release to me ,Allen key/spanner needed to tighten on to battery terminals.Cable connections also need Allen key to tighten.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would be sure that mine as original fit are like these, and I like the idea that they are quick release without tools if ever required
I’ve had quick release on a previous van and to be honest didn’t find them very good as time moved on they lost their ability to grip the terminals. Plus the battery still had to be pulled out to release them. Whereas with the conventional terminal clamps I can put a t-bar socket on and undo them almost as quickly. The ones linked in my post seemed to have the advantage of not having battery and mover cables twisted together and then stuffed into the terminal. Longer term better option would be to have multi way box inside caravan and use the high flex cabling back from the box to the battery. So only two (flexible) leads in battery box.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I’ve had quick release on a previous van and to be honest didn’t find them very good as time moved on they lost their ability to grip the terminals. Plus the battery still had to be pulled out to release them. Whereas with the conventional terminal clamps I can put a t-bar socket on and undo them almost as quickly. The ones linked in my post seemed to have the advantage of not having battery and mover cables twisted together and then stuffed into the terminal. Longer term better option would be to have multi way box inside caravan and use the high flex cabling back from the box to the battery. So only two (flexible) leads in battery box.

I haven’t had the same problem with the quick release going to loose. But I agree that it’s the same on my van that there is not enough room to release them without pulling the battery out a bit. The worst thing about the quick release is the poor method of wire attachment. The option you have linked to looks good in this respect so long as it will take the motor mover size cable.

These things can make a neat and stronger job. But who wants 800?

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I haven’t had the same problem with the quick release going to loose. But I agree that it’s the same on my van that there is not enough room to release them without pulling the battery out a bit. The worst thing about the quick release is the poor method of wire attachment. The option you have linked to looks good in this respect so long as it will take the motor mover size cable.

These things can make a neat and stronger job. But who wants 800?

John
Thanks. Are those “Things” crimped on? Was looking to avoid having to buy a crimping tool for battery/ mover sized cables.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. Are those “Things” crimped on? Was looking to avoid having to buy a crimping tool for battery/ mover sized cables.

I think that professionally they are crimped on with a special tool. But I got some in a little job lot from a car boot. I just find the tightest fit and use pliers. They take very little squashing, but they spread the load of the screw nicely. It really needs a small assortment for home use.

I used to tin the end with solder thinking I was doing a top job. But since I have learnt that that is technically wrong. Can’t remember exactly why, might make it too brittle.

John

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts