Battery in storage

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi all. I want to leave the battery in the caravan whilst it is in storage. I’m aware of not letting go flat so am looking a a window mounted solar panel type charger. Do these types of chargers work okay? If so can anyone tell me of a good please. I’m not planning for the van to in storage for months on end we tend to use the van once an month over winter or at l once every to months. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi, sorry as I am not sure but was also wondering if anyone can tell me what the charge / voltage level of a battery should be when connected to a roof mounted solar panel please. I have just fitted a new battery and the reading on my control unit within the van reads 12.6 volts. The light is flashing on the solar control unit but not sure if it’s charging?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In general the small window mounted units do not produce enough power to do a lot of good, and especially in winter when the sun is in short supply for relatively little time.
If the van has an alarm then that will absorb just about everything the panel is producing for a few hours only.

To keep the battery in good condition you need a 100w panel.

On to the second post from Johnjhs, a battery at 12.6v is almost flat , so one wonders if you conditioned it after buying it as all new batteries need to be charged on a good charger to get them to optimum performance.

A good battery, after charging and resting should be at 12.8 to 13v.

Reactions: Nigel Grimwood
Nov 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi and thank you for your guidance. I fitted the new battery and went away for a few days on a hook up pitch and then came home and left the caravan on the solar panel. ( someone suggested that I had overlooked the previous battery by leaving it on charge connected to power from my garage) this is why I have left it on solar panel. I was concerned that the charge reading was 12.6. If this is no good I’m not sure if the solar panel is working??
Any thoughts welcome please?
Should I reinstate the power connection from my garage ( hook up) ???
Many Thanks,
John

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We found it worked really well for us-we had a 10w panel I put in the roof light-small and light enough for the blind to hold it in-and it kept our battery topped perfectly all winter ready to go whenever we wanted it-HOWEVER I did have to disconnect the battery-had quick release clips on it-as there was not enough power if the van was hooked up to the battery too-even though there was no alarm! Our Avondale had an outside battery box so the panel lived outside on the A frame in a position to catch as much day light as possible, our Bailey an inner one-so it lived in the skylight inside and worked through the perspex v happily-cost next to nothing off ebay-just make sure it's waterproof and has the non return diode so when it's dark it doesn't drain!

Reactions: Nigel Grimwood
May 20, 2021
Visit site
If it is Truma solar controller then a flashing LED means it is not charging. It goes solid green when charging and your battery meter should be showing over 13v. I did think 12.6v off load was fully charged, (2.1 v per cell = 12.6v.) though 12.7 is nice to see.
Does tend to suggest a bit of a problem with the solar unit or panel rather than battery.

Nov 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi and thank you for your help, however my solar panel is a Sargent system.
Green light and a red light ( although I haven’t seen the red light on)
The green light is flashing but not sure what this means??
If I connect my van to my home supply the voltage reads 13.4 volts.
Disconnected and the battery voltage is 12.6
How do I know if the solar panel is working?
Is it working if the green light is flashing?
Thanks to anyone who can help or send a link for technical instructions/ manual for the Sargent system.
Regards,
Jhs

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would suggest that the best option and save you a lot of time will be to ring Sargent and speak to their technical team who are more than helpful.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts