Battery overheated

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I have a Bailey pageant magenta 1998 and the battery has overheated and the charger become very hot. i expect it’s the charger as the battery is relatively new. Anyone know what I need to order as a replacement (can’t find same online .... it’s age I guess) and a good place to buy it?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It could and quite probably is that the battery has a failed cell, shorting out making it a 10 Volt unit and the consequences are it gets its good cells overcharged and the charger is overloaded.
This can as easily happen with a newish or older battery and that needs checking out first before asuming anything.
If you can, with the battery cooled check if its voltage is nearer 10 than 12 volts. Or take it to be tested.

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
The reason I am suspicious of the charger is that I only just got the van and could not get it to charge. I pulled the wires off the charger terminal as one seemed loose, pushed them back on and all seemed fine until later after I had been cleaning. I gave it a thump and it started charging again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First thing to do is to disconnect the charger from the battery until the problem is resolved.

The battery should be checked, not only may it have a faulty cell, the fact it has become so hot that may have damaged it or at least make it loose electrolyte.

If the battery is faulty, then as its "new" you should talk to your supplier about getting it replased under warranty.

If the battery has survived then it does point to the charger.

However, you have already identified the charger does malfunction, so regardless of the battery's condition the charger needs attending to. I note it is a 1998 caravan and charger technology has moved on since then. You will probably struggle to find an exact replacement, but it should be possible to integrate more modern chargers - if your not sure about how to do it, you will need to use a qualified caravan technician. There are mobile technicians who might be a good bet.

Temporarily you could use a multistage battery charger (Like a Ctek or similar makes) to keep the battery charged I know that Ctek do a 10A model but it is quite expensive, but its good.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have a Bailey pageant magenta 1998 and the battery has overheated and the charger become very hot. i expect it’s the charger as the battery is relatively new. Anyone know what I need to order as a replacement (can’t find same online .... it’s age I guess) and a good place to buy it?
Try SFM Caravans

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts