Battery Problems!! Help

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
After fitting a new vehicle battery, I found that the domestic electrics will now only work with the ignition switched on, before this the domestic electrics would automatically switch off as soon as the ignition was switched on.
So now the domestic electrics is only running from the vehicle battery and not the leisure battery? Compass Avantgarde 100 Peugeot chassis.
What have I done wrong??

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gerry.
All I can suggest is that you've made some mistake in the wiring, but without a diagram - and without having looked over your shoulder - I can't really say much more!

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Gerry, There isn't much you can do wrong when it comes to connecting the a new leisure battery, and the chances of a wiring fault developing at the exact time you swap the battery seems very unlikely / unlucky.

It sounds like something far simpler, but I can't quite remember how the electrics on a Compass of that era work.

Do you have a switch on the control panel which allows you to switch between the vehicle battery and the leisure battery is not present / flat?

It is usually underneath the battery meter (if fitted) and near the main 12v power switch. Could it be something as simple as the switch is set to 'vehicle' rather than 'leisure' battery?

I know that it sounds a bit basic, but I am talking from experience. I have done this myself...

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've copied my reply in the thread in the Buy & Own forum below, so that you have all replies in one place.

If your van is like our former 2004 Autoquest 100 you will have a switch on the control panel marked AUX and VEH. AUX is the leisure battery and VEH is the starter battery. Have you inadvertently switched from AUX to VEH?

If that is not the case, has a Battery Manager (or similar) box been fitted and somehow the wiring has been wrongly reconnected to the new battery (bit clutching at straws that one)?

If neither I would have the wiring checked by an electrician.

Graham

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Good point about keeping it all in one thread Graham.
So Gerry, hope you don't mind but I've deleted the one in Buy and Own, so future replies will all be here.

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi
Just noticed this post and if you are still out there could you answer me one question.
you seem to be familiar with the switch for auxiliary or vehicle battery. can you tell me (I have a Zig Marque3) on a wayfarer, what is the purpose of the switch in "Engine Position"??
Thanks
Dave

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm no expert on Zig units but I would guess that is the same as Vehicle (rather than Aux (Leisure)) battery. Some Zig units have the positions marked Car Battery and Caravan Battery.

If that doesn't seem right posting a photo of the panel may give another clue.

Graham

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi
not sure how to post pictures yet. However, you have it right in as much as there is on my Zig unit a position marked Car Battery and Caravan Battery.
What is the car battery position for??????????????

Thanks
Dave

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
hoteldave said:
Hi
not sure how to post pictures yet. However, you have it right in as much as there is on my Zig unit a position marked Car Battery and Caravan Battery.
What is the car battery position for??????????????

Thanks
Dave
The units are used in caravans, as well as motorhomes, where the car starter battery is the equivalent of the MH cab battery.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The only real use in a MH is to get the lights back on if the leisure ("caravan") battery fails in the middle of the night!
Using it for much more risks draining the vehicle battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts