Been told my wife car tyres are 7& 8 year old still in thread one had a puncture

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This morning spotted a rear flat tyre on wife car got my new Tyre compressor pump it up went to KwikFit
Results repaired Tyre and a large nail (Puncture) but still in use (7 year old)
While the other rear Tyre replaced after 8 years of use but still in thread but tyre wall showing it age
No complaint with bill after eight years use

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can get a puncture straight after having new tyres fitted, so the fact you have not had one in 8 years isnt a reflection on tyre performance. How is the tyre showing it’s age? My daughters Dunlops used daily showed cracking on the shoulders after three years and picked up advisories. I bought her two new ones.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the tyre wall is showing its age I would replace it as that sounds ominous. Do remember all that is between the car and the road is the tyre and a failure of the wall would be a blow out which is far more serious than a nail in the tread, which is usually a slow puncture.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This morning spotted a rear flat tyre on wife car got my new Tyre compressor pump it up went to KwikFit
Results repaired Tyre and a large nail (Puncture) but still in use (7 year old)
While the other rear Tyre replaced after 8 years of use but still in thread but tyre wall showing it age
No complaint with bill after eight years use

I had some poor experiences with Kwik Fit but to be fair it was many years ago but has been enough to make me avoid them. It is poor servivce if they took your money without advising you on the age and condition. Suppliers may advise to get new tyres either because of professional service or to get a better sale.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had some poor experiences with Kwik Fit but to be fair it was many years ago but has been enough to make me avoid them. It is poor servivce if they took your money without advising you on the age and condition. Suppliers may advise to get new tyres either because of professional service or to get a better sale.

John
Same here and avoid them with the proverbial barge pole!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If the tyre wall is showing its age I would replace it as that sounds ominous. Do remember all that is between the car and the road is the tyre and a failure of the wall would be a blow out which is far more serious than a nail in the tread, which is usually a slow puncture.
That the one that got replaced it been on the car for eight years even had good thread 4.5

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Once had a puncture that wrecked the tyre on my way home from collecting it new which was most frustrating to say the least!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Once had a puncture that wrecked the tyre on my way home from collecting it new which was most frustrating today the least!
A good friend of mine had his souped up Morris Minor with down draught Webers (remember them?) fitted with Michelin tyres all round and it was done at the factory.
On the way home, one of the tyres blew and he ended up rolling the car. There were 4 of them in the car at the time. Luckily only minor injuries.
Myself first time it was extremely hairy as was in terrorist country and in the bush area so had to keep eyes skinned for lions. I have never unloaded a car and changed a tyre so fast.
Second time I had an almost brand new Dunlop tyre explode on me while over taking a car on a country road. A few hairy moments as I was probably travelling at over 60mph. I have never had Dunlops on a car since!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had a tyre written off due to a rose thorn puncture, but it went in the side wall somehow.

John
On the Volvo S80 we had Pirelli P6000 tyres, but they seem to attract every nail in the neighbourhood. Having said that they were excellent tyres for road grip in dry or wet!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Front Tyres were changed six years ago ,reason I know is because of receipt but also my wife retired from work we were buying a new bungalow living in our seasonal caravan ,she was traveling from Shropshire to South Yorkshire to work notice , all memories of that time .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

John
Hi John I only use them because they open at 8.30 am in the morning but they did check all four tyres while i was there . But the only thing i did not like they tried to get to buy two new Tyres but i would not

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The puncture in the tyre there was a nail they said to me we advise you to buy a new one but i said can you repair it we will try and guess what it went up with no problems .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If they were advising to replace the two 8 year old tyres with sidewall cracking I wouldn’t criticise their approach.
Actually one had cracking on the sidewall the other was a puncture and that is still usable and they were amaze how much thread still on but my wife always put the best tyres on for her job as a Health visitor

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the side wall is cracked the tyre is dangerous and you could be prosecuted for using it. Tyres do need regular checking to be sure they are in good condition.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If the side wall is cracked the tyre is dangerous and you could be prosecuted for using it. Tyres do need regular checking to be sure they are in good condition.
The sidewall of tyre was cracked on the 8 year old and that one was replaced the other is the 7 year old nothing wrong with the sidewall it had a puncture in the middle of the tyre thread ( nail)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That may be incorrect as you can only be prosecuted if the steel beading is showing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts