Best Potatoes for Roasties?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve successfully used Maris Piper for decades . No complaints.
I keep seeing these expensive Albert Roosters sponsored by Michell Roux.
Are they special?
What spuds do you guys use?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If they are recommended by an expensive chef you can be sure of one thing, they will be more expensive than "ordinary" ones.
Can't say I have ever heard of Albert Roosters, not that means very much though.

Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Another 👍for Maris piper roast spuds.
After peeling, cut the potato into halves and cut the surface to create angles.
After par boiling and a good shake in the saucepan, use goose fat to roast to a golden brown with a light fluffy inside.
Never fails.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Another for maris piper potatoes
After peeling the potatoes cut them into halves and then quarters and par boiled them place them in a hot oil in oven for 30 -35mins turning once or twice until crisp , crunchy and golden sprinkle with salt and thyme leaves

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Duck fat for roasties every time! Second best is Goose fat. Sprinkle them with finely chopped sage or rosemary prior to roasting, mmmmmmm!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve successfully used Maris Piper for decades . No complaints.
I keep seeing these expensive Albert Roosters sponsored by Michell Roux.
Are they special?
What spuds do you guys use?
No differnt to any other potato. We paid the extras for them and no difference in taste, looks or size.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No differnt to any other potato. We paid the extras for them and no difference in taste, looks or size.
There is a big difference in potatoes,, Waxey one's are no use for roasting, new potatoes, no use for mashing. King Edwards are. Ok for. Chips. Gersey Royals ok for salads.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is a big difference in potatoes,, Waxey one's are no use for roasting, new potatoes, no use for mashing. King Edwards are. Ok for. Chips. Gersey Royals ok for salads.
However I thought the topic was about potatoes for roasting and not for mashing etc? Admittedly my fault for missing out the word "roast" to clarify the type of potato to which I was referring.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On GB news this morning James Martin prefers King Edwards or Red Roosters. As said above Maris Piper has always worked for me.👍
Yesterday I used some King Edward potatoes for roast and while they are okay Maris Piper definitely pips them at the post. I roasted them in the Ninja air fryer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mrs OC just arrived home from her. first preliminary Christmas shop with 5kg of King Edwards. Now she does excellent roasties which the tribe wolf down whenever they are served. But I’m a bit puzzled as we are taking the tribe (10 in number) out for Christmas Day lunch. I’m now wondering when the King Edwards are being served. Possibly as lite bites on Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Our local farm grow Marfona and Nadeen. We prefer the Marfona as they are good for chips, roast and mash. We get 25kg bags which last right through in the garage.

We did try Albert Bartlett for frozen chips. Fine at first but went off and very dry so haven’t had them for a good while.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our local farm grow Marfona and Nadeen. We prefer the Marfona as they are good for chips, roast and mash. We get 25kg bags which last right through in the garage.

We did try Albert Bartlett for frozen chips. Fine at first but went off and very dry so haven’t had them for a good while.

John
When our kids were younger and at home we used to buy potato’s from the local farm and they lasted really well if kept cool in the garage. But the last time we bought a bag from our local farmer they did not seem to last and got mildew. We were told it’s because the amount of fungicide used these days is less, and it’s not so effective. Whether that’s true I don’t know but it sounded plausible. So now we buy in smaller weights from the supermarket or local farm shop.

Cannot remember when we last prepared chips of any sort at home. Roast, mash and sliced for Pam Haggerty, Mousakka or mashed for Aligot. Gosh feeling hungry and it’s still 4 hours to go.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mrs OC just arrived home from her. first preliminary Christmas shop with 5kg of King Edwards. Now she does excellent roasties which the tribe wolf down whenever they are served. But I’m a bit puzzled as we are taking the tribe (10 in number) out for Christmas Day lunch. I’m now wondering when the King Edwards are being served. Possibly as lite bites on Christmas Eve.

We bought King Edward from Tesco lat week and what a big difference to the King Edward that we bought from Sainsburys. Tesco were nearly 100% better!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We have a Fish and Chip van that comes around on Wednesdays but the quality is variable by all accounts so we've not tried it. Nearest reasonable one is about 25 miles away.

I live in a chip free house. I've been told they're not good for me :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a Fish and Chip van that comes around on Wednesdays but the quality is variable by all accounts so we've not tried it. Nearest reasonable one is about 25 miles away.

I live in a chip free house. I've been told they're not good for me :)
We only have the oven chips occasionally; Like you we have a chippy van come around, Tried them once and that was enough. Nearest chippy is about 10 miles away, but quality always varies from chippy to chippy. Last time we had take aways was in Weymouth in June. Time before that was the previous June.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts