Best Route To Gwern Y Bwych - Llanbrynmair

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Lamenting the loss of Doldowlod to CC members, so now looking for the replacement "Gem", hoping Gwern Y Bwylch will be the one.
If I am travelling from Wolves, what would be my best route, via Welshpool-down cemmaes Road-and then toward Llanbrymair?
Or, Craven Arms-Newtown-Llanbrynmair?
I know what the map might suggest, but if I am towing a van, what would be the best route for speed, and comfortable drive. I know some of the routes could be slow and twisty (my memory of Craven Arms to Newtown in places), but would I trade that for steep mountain road and scary (is this how I remember Cemmaes Road) - it's been years since I travelled those routes?
Any Advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Wombat.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
A lovely site that you will like. A bit more closed in that the Rhyader one but very quiet. We go from Bridgnorth and go Shrewsbury by pass, Welshpool, Newtown Caersws, there. The last 10 miles are slow as there are many bends and some tight bridges but all OK. The rest of the journey is easy and fast. There can be some traffic in Newtown.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Here's another missing Doldowlod, a real gem. It wasn't far for us to travel so it was ideal for weekends when working. I don't know what's happening there now but it wouldn't surprise me to see statics put there
smiley-frown.gif

Unusually for Wales we had brilliant weather everytime we stayed there.
Llanbrynmair is on our list. I've Googled it and the reviews look positive.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the reples.
Lord B, I was expecting to see your name, believing you originate from not too far from there - we too also had excellent weather every time we visited Doldowlod. The last time we visited (May 2010) went we finally got a "front row pitch" looking at the hills and drunk a bottle or two outside until late Friday night wrapped up in blanket - unfortunately the next day, Saturday, was spoilt when we visited Ynyslas beach (Borth) and our dog was attacked - we then spent the rest of the day in Aberystwyth looking for a vet.We departed early (that night, without the van) and came back the next day to collect the van.
Such a shame that was to be our last memory.
Wombat

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The first time we went to Doldowlod we got a front pitch and after that, when booking direct, we asked the wardens for a front pitch and got one. A bit late now to give you that info waffler
smiley-cry.gif

Gwern Y Bwych - Llanbrynmair is on hold at the moment until my mother makes up her mind if she wants me to fetch her to stay with us. If she doesn't we will be going up to Mansfield to see her in September so shall go to Gwern Y Bwych in either July or August. I wouldn't mind going for two weeks because it sounds idyllic from the few reviews I've seen. Apparently a nice dog walk, bird hide, bird tables at every pitch and you can buy the food from reception. It says it's not a place ideal for kids because there's no play area.
I can already see us sat outside in the shade, feet up, shielding ourselves from the boiling hot sun, reading a book while supping my Stella.

Wait, I forgot
smiley-undecided.gif
this is Wales.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts