Best routes/sites to Garda Italy

Jan 20, 2007
Visit site
Thinking of going to Garda this year in September for 3 weeks towing Bailey Monarch with Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 diesel. We live in Southampton, but know we may have to drive to Dover instead of our usual port Portsmouth. Have travelled all round France for many years so no problems towing.(Had a Passatt then) Husband concerned roads might be a bit tricky and mountainous. Any advice re routes and good campsites in the area. Have heard that pitches can be quite small in Italy. Would also like to visit Verona & Venice while there. Thanks for any help.

Margaret

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I went to Venice some years ago, I went via Strasbourg, Munich, Salzburg and then the flooded city.

You will need to buy Vignettes to travel on motorways in Austria + some supplementary fees.

I'm going to Verona later this year as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Evans of Sprot ,

last year when we visited lake Garda you said "you must visit Verona" so we did. However I think that was a bit of an understatement and we did not leave enough time to really 'see' Verona and now have to go again. What a stunning place.

catherine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Margaret,

We went to Lake Garda last August,We live in Portsmouth but went Dover Calais as we were not sure about the new ferries and the caravan was free from Dover. We travelled through France.stopped

1 night at Reims.Municipal de Fismes.Travelled down to the Alps and stopped for 2 nights at Le Coin Tranquille.Left at about 10 in the morning drove through the Frejus tunnel and arrived at Lake Garda at about 6 in the evening. Pitches do vary in size but we didn't have any problems. The route was straight forward you pay quite a lot on Tolls in france but it was such an easy drive it was worth it,and we did not have any trouble with tricky or mountainous roads.access to sites were sometimes unbelievable but we managed.It is easy to visit Verona and Venice from Lake Garda,We parked outside Venice for the whole day 3.5 euros, and took a bus in 1 euro! Having done France for years and love it I only went to Italy to please the family now I'm smitten. It is stunning and we can't wait to go back this year.

Catherine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I went to Venice some years ago, I went via Strasbourg, Munich, Salzburg and then the flooded city.

You will need to buy Vignettes to travel on motorways in Austria + some supplementary fees.

I'm going to Verona later this year as well.
Hi evans of sprot - I note that you enthuse about the opera at Verona and I totally agree with your comments that it is a must visit when in that area. Lovers of opera also go to the Puccini and Verdi festivals. if you search on Google you will find some wonderfull opera shows are available in the Tuscany and Umbria regions.

Regards FKG

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We travelled down to Lake Como and then on to Venice from Dunkerque this summer. We travelled overnight arriving at Dunkerque at 06.00. After stopping for a couple of hours sleep at a Aire near Lisle we then drove on down through Belgium and Luxembourg. At Luxembourg we turned south onto the E23 and drove as far as an Aire near Nancy before stopping for the night - an excellent day's drive we felt. The motorway ended just south of Nancy but we continued south past Epinal and then turned west onto the N66. This single carriageway road is a good one which goes through the heart of the Ballons des Vosges mountain range. The views are lovely and there although there are some gradients these are relatively easily laid out in long hairpins.

At the eastern side of the Vosges we spent a few days staying at the Municipal site at Cernay. This is an interesting site right next to a stork reserve and with a VERY HELPFUL warden. There is only a small shop on the site but there are several supermarhe and a good range of other shops in this pleasant riverside town. The municipal swimming pool and sports centre are right next door. We were delayed here after I found a split in one of the 'van tyre walls as we were preparing to leave. I was not happy towing over the Alps without a spare and so we were delayed whilst a replacement was obtained.

From Cernay we continued down the A35 to Basle where we crossed into Switzerland. At the border we had to pay for the overpriced annual Swiss motorway vignettes for the car and caravan. When stopped at the Border point a man comes to sell them to you - 2 are needed one for the car and one for the 'van. We wish to pay by credit card so we had to park up and pay at the office. There are loos there too. Basle was a bit challenging as there were a lot of road works in the city centre, sometimes with different diversions for different size vehicles so it was hard to know which to choose.

NB ANOTHER TIME I will follow advice that I have subsequently been given to cross the Rhine and enter Switzerland, near Basle, on the German side. It seems this avoids Basle city centre.

We followed the E35 through Switzerland a fantastically picturesque route. We crossed into Italy via the St Gotthard Pass. The queues for the tunnel were very long so we decided to try the pass. It was quite doable even with our large outfit with a climb up long hairpins a long relatively flat part on the top and another hairpin descent. On the way down I used the engine for braking to save on the brakes and by the time I reached the far side the bonnet was nearly cold- very unusual for our 3.2 V6. We tried to spend the night at the services at Airolo immediately after the pass but although services were clean and pleasant they were very busy and we gave up at about 02.00 and pushed on and stayed at a services lower down for a few hours sleep in the van.

We then continued southwards finally leaving the E35 at Chiasso. We then drove through Como and Lecco and up the eastern side of the Lake on the "36" to Camping La Riva at the northern end of the Lake. this road was an excellent one and after Lecco was dual carriageway albeit it with a LOT of tunnels. We spent spent 2 very pleasant weeks at La Riva. We had booked our pitch and got a lovely, large one right on the river side. We had to move later during our stay as we arrived and left later than planned due to problems with another 'van tyre and a minor car breakdown. Be warned that the Italian Lake district Como and Garda areas are subject to sudden gales and storms. We had our awning damaged when it suddenly blew up onto the roof - we were taking down because of the approaching storm - too late.

We then travelled on south westwards and picked up the autostrada near Bergamo. We then drove around the southern end of Lake Garda on the E66, E70 to near Venice. The roads were not brilliant until we reached the toll autostrada which were excellent. We drove from La Riva to Camping Cavallino in one day. Camping Cavallino had large pitches and accommodated us easily even though we had not booked just phoned ahead on the day before to see if they had room.

Regarding the size of van, etc according to the 2006 Caravan Europe Guide, from the Caravan Club, I would highly recommend both volumes - cheaper from Amazon than the CC's "bargain" mmeber's price, there are no restrictions on size of caravans. There are some size limits for Italy but they are waved for foreign tourists if their outfit is legal in the UK.

Our route home was the same apart from the fact that we used the Gotthard tunnel on the way home. I hate tunnels but by that time had got a bit more used to them. For the 11 miles of the Gotthard I set the milometer at 0 at the beginning so that I could count off the mileage put my favourite new Johny Cash CD "My Mother's Hymnbook" on, whispered a prayer and went for it.

We loved Northern Italy and are planning to go back next year. We had hope to go as far as Rome but didn't because of our delays and because we liked Como and Venice so much. The Campsites got more expensive the further south we went. Cavallino was worst nearly

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site
If you want to save on tolls go this way which is what we did September 2005 and May 2006.

Calais - Lille - Belgium -Luxembourg - Saarbrucken (Germany) - Karlsruhe - Stuttgart - Ulm - Memmingem - Fussen - Reutte (Austria) - Innsbruck - Brenner Pass (8.00Euro toll) - Trento - L Garda.

All autobahn/route France, Belgium, Lux, Germany and FREE! Austria is fine - if you use the autobahns you pay a vignette 8 Euro for 10 days (not realy worth it as the main roads are good) but you do have to pay to go over Brenner pass. Italian autostradas are quite cheap and quick.

Much cheaper than route through France. No problem with mountain passes either.

If you need any more advice be glad to help.

Alan

Jan 20, 2007
Visit site
We travelled down to Lake Como and then on to Venice from Dunkerque this summer. We travelled overnight arriving at Dunkerque at 06.00. After stopping for a couple of hours sleep at a Aire near Lisle we then drove on down through Belgium and Luxembourg. At Luxembourg we turned south onto the E23 and drove as far as an Aire near Nancy before stopping for the night - an excellent day's drive we felt. The motorway ended just south of Nancy but we continued south past Epinal and then turned west onto the N66. This single carriageway road is a good one which goes through the heart of the Ballons des Vosges mountain range. The views are lovely and there although there are some gradients these are relatively easily laid out in long hairpins.

At the eastern side of the Vosges we spent a few days staying at the Municipal site at Cernay. This is an interesting site right next to a stork reserve and with a VERY HELPFUL warden. There is only a small shop on the site but there are several supermarhe and a good range of other shops in this pleasant riverside town. The municipal swimming pool and sports centre are right next door. We were delayed here after I found a split in one of the 'van tyre walls as we were preparing to leave. I was not happy towing over the Alps without a spare and so we were delayed whilst a replacement was obtained.

From Cernay we continued down the A35 to Basle where we crossed into Switzerland. At the border we had to pay for the overpriced annual Swiss motorway vignettes for the car and caravan. When stopped at the Border point a man comes to sell them to you - 2 are needed one for the car and one for the 'van. We wish to pay by credit card so we had to park up and pay at the office. There are loos there too. Basle was a bit challenging as there were a lot of road works in the city centre, sometimes with different diversions for different size vehicles so it was hard to know which to choose.

NB ANOTHER TIME I will follow advice that I have subsequently been given to cross the Rhine and enter Switzerland, near Basle, on the German side. It seems this avoids Basle city centre.

We followed the E35 through Switzerland a fantastically picturesque route. We crossed into Italy via the St Gotthard Pass. The queues for the tunnel were very long so we decided to try the pass. It was quite doable even with our large outfit with a climb up long hairpins a long relatively flat part on the top and another hairpin descent. On the way down I used the engine for braking to save on the brakes and by the time I reached the far side the bonnet was nearly cold- very unusual for our 3.2 V6. We tried to spend the night at the services at Airolo immediately after the pass but although services were clean and pleasant they were very busy and we gave up at about 02.00 and pushed on and stayed at a services lower down for a few hours sleep in the van.

We then continued southwards finally leaving the E35 at Chiasso. We then drove through Como and Lecco and up the eastern side of the Lake on the "36" to Camping La Riva at the northern end of the Lake. this road was an excellent one and after Lecco was dual carriageway albeit it with a LOT of tunnels. We spent spent 2 very pleasant weeks at La Riva. We had booked our pitch and got a lovely, large one right on the river side. We had to move later during our stay as we arrived and left later than planned due to problems with another 'van tyre and a minor car breakdown. Be warned that the Italian Lake district Como and Garda areas are subject to sudden gales and storms. We had our awning damaged when it suddenly blew up onto the roof - we were taking down because of the approaching storm - too late.

We then travelled on south westwards and picked up the autostrada near Bergamo. We then drove around the southern end of Lake Garda on the E66, E70 to near Venice. The roads were not brilliant until we reached the toll autostrada which were excellent. We drove from La Riva to Camping Cavallino in one day. Camping Cavallino had large pitches and accommodated us easily even though we had not booked just phoned ahead on the day before to see if they had room.

Regarding the size of van, etc according to the 2006 Caravan Europe Guide, from the Caravan Club, I would highly recommend both volumes - cheaper from Amazon than the CC's "bargain" mmeber's price, there are no restrictions on size of caravans. There are some size limits for Italy but they are waved for foreign tourists if their outfit is legal in the UK.

Our route home was the same apart from the fact that we used the Gotthard tunnel on the way home. I hate tunnels but by that time had got a bit more used to them. For the 11 miles of the Gotthard I set the milometer at 0 at the beginning so that I could count off the mileage put my favourite new Johny Cash CD "My Mother's Hymnbook" on, whispered a prayer and went for it.

We loved Northern Italy and are planning to go back next year. We had hope to go as far as Rome but didn't because of our delays and because we liked Como and Venice so much. The Campsites got more expensive the further south we went. Cavallino was worst nearly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to save on tolls go this way which is what we did September 2005 and May 2006.

Calais - Lille - Belgium -Luxembourg - Saarbrucken (Germany) - Karlsruhe - Stuttgart - Ulm - Memmingem - Fussen - Reutte (Austria) - Innsbruck - Brenner Pass (8.00Euro toll) - Trento - L Garda.

All autobahn/route France, Belgium, Lux, Germany and FREE! Austria is fine - if you use the autobahns you pay a vignette 8 Euro for 10 days (not realy worth it as the main roads are good) but you do have to pay to go over Brenner pass. Italian autostradas are quite cheap and quick.

Much cheaper than route through France. No problem with mountain passes either.

If you need any more advice be glad to help.

Alan
Alan

Where did you stay on Lake Garna?

can you offer any advice to my post on Camping Fornela

Many thanks

Al

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi evans of sprot - I note that you enthuse about the opera at Verona and I totally agree with your comments that it is a must visit when in that area. Lovers of opera also go to the Puccini and Verdi festivals. if you search on Google you will find some wonderfull opera shows are available in the Tuscany and Umbria regions.

Regards FKG
Dead right. But the one in Verona is OK for people who may not necessarily like the music but want to see a spectacle.

I'm going again in June and chose Aida once more as I am going with a friend who is not an opera buff!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just got back from the Grand Tour France, Swissy place, Italy, Austria, Germany and France once more.

Stopped on Garda for five nights and did not like the camps there - small pitches etc. Moved to Arco right at the top of the lake but not actually on it.

Super site like a big French one and a lovely village within walking distance - I really recommend it.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Thought you must have been away - glad you had a good holiday - did you get good weather? Italy seems to have been the one place where the weather was a bit better!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Evans

Can you suggest any sites for stopovers heading down to Frejus. We're spending one night at Berny Riviere each way, but we're looking for another stop further south (150k or so from the cote d'azure) - any suggestions. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Evans

Can you suggest any sites for stopovers heading down to Frejus. We're spending one night at Berny Riviere each way, but we're looking for another stop further south (150k or so from the cote d'azure) - any suggestions. Thanks
I like the site at Tournons sur Rhone as its one of the few near to the river, opposite the Tain Hermitages vineyard, and you can watch huge barges on the river.

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Don`t even think about Italian sites without confirming pitch sizes. Olive trees appear to be protected and will often be in the area where the awning should be but most sites are well located on the lake and the area is gorgeous. Try to avoid the lakeside road on the north side of the lake as the tunnels are very dark and scary if you venture too close to the edge...all busses have scrape marks on the roof!

Texastom

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Margaret

We went to Italy last June and journeyed through France into Switzerland at Basle. Enter Basle from the German side as it keeps you on the motorway. Others in this Forum have said that getting through Basle was a problem but our journey was easy. We stayed at a site in Basle called 'Camping Waldhort' which is in teh CC book. It was good. We travelled into Italy through the San Gothard tunnel route which my 2.0 Mondeo and 4 berth van coped with no problem. We stayed on a site on Lake Garda called 'Camping La Quercia' in a town called Lazise. In June it was quiet. It is a large commercial site but there are plenty of areas to go to get out 'of the noise' and the pitches were fine for our van, a sun canopy and our car. Both Verona and Venice are reachable from Lazise as it is on the south side of the lake. We went to both by public transport which is easier than trying to park the car!! We are going back to Italy this year and hoping to get as far south as Sorrento. Enjoy!!

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margaret

You can go via Belgium, Germany, Austria to Italy over Brenner Pass. That's what we do regularly. Go Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Ulm to Kempten. Then to Innsbruck via Fernpass (easy). No tolls until Austria unless you use the Autobahns there. You have to pay over the Brenner Pass (long easy haul)anyway and the Italian Autostrada are cheap. Go via Trento then to L Garda. Plenty of campsites south end of lake and good access.

We'll be going that way in May to nearby.

Good luck

Alan

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Margaret

You can go via Belgium, Germany, Austria to Italy over Brenner Pass. That's what we do regularly. Go Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Ulm to Kempten. Then to Innsbruck via Fernpass (easy). No tolls until Austria unless you use the Autobahns there. You have to pay over the Brenner Pass (long easy haul)anyway and the Italian Autostrada are cheap. Go via Trento then to L Garda. Plenty of campsites south end of lake and good access.

We'll be going that way in May to nearby.

Good luck

Alan
Hi Alan, I am planning a route to Garda but am concerned about the Alps crossing. You recommended a route to Margaret but I wonder if you were driving a motorhome or towing a caravan, which may be more difficult.

Graham

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Alan

We are planning a route to Lake Garda this May. Last year we went via the San Gothard tunnel but I would like to go via the Brenner Pass this year. Can you recommend any sites on the route you have detailed above?

Thanks

Lawrence

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts