Big ouch!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our local CAMC Centre are hosting a rally in August not far from Alton Towers. I thought it would be nice if our 15 year old grandson came along as maybe he would like to go to Alton Towers. I checked the entrance price and was totally gobsmacked as it was £44 for each person! Not sure if that includes rides, but even it did that would be very expensive for us as neither of us could probably go on a ride anyway. Even if we were fit and able that is still a lot of money for any family!

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi Buckman.
I live nine miles from Alton Towers. Yes the admission price does include all the rides, and the inevitable queues if it's busy and it usually is. We rarely go anymore as my Wife doesn't like the rides either, so it's a very expensive walk for her. Discounted tickets are sometimes available from newspapers but again these days tend to be extremely busy. I believe you can also use Tesco vouchers.
Drayton Manor Park which is about 38 miles away from Alton I believe is better value as the admission price doesn't include the rides, you have to pay extra for a wrist band to go on them. So, you're not paying for something for nothing.
You would be staying in what is probably the most scenic part of Staffordshire, The Staffordshire Moorlands and close to the Derbyshire Dales with Dovedale only twenty minutes away and The Peak Wildlife Park at Blackbrook even closer.
So, if Alton Towers isn't an option there is plenty to do and see in the vicinity.

PS. I've just checked the Alton Towers website and advance tickets are from £36 plus CAMC offer 10% discount.
To be perfectly honest though I wouldn't even entertain visiting in August during the school holidays. The queues to actually get near the place, the carparks and the monorail to get you to the turnstiles will be horrendous. Sorry to pour water on your plans but I am speaking from bitter experience.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for a very informative reply. Not really our scene so would have only being doing it for grandson, but will be giving it a miss.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just a thought but if Grandson has a mate and you can bear the thought of Caravanning with 2 teenagers ( sometimes easier than just taking 1), you could just drop them off at Alton Towers and go and get them later. You can then enjoy the area.
Also you can sometimes get 2 for the price of 1 voucher offers. Used to be on Kellogs cereal. Worth the cost of a box of cornflakes if they are still doing them.
Mel

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for a very informative reply. Not really our scene so would have only being doing it for grandson, but will be giving it a miss.
Children over12 don't need to be accompanied at Alton Towers - when my son and has family have a weekend camping near there, on one of the days they just drop the boys off there and collect them at the end of the day.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We did go some time ago with our daughter and her family. We found numerous ways of getting a discount and eventually found a voucher I think on a cereal packet for buy one get one free. It does pay to do some research when looking at these places. You can try web sites like Voucher Codes who may find you something.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have since found out that one can rent a mobility scooter for the day at Alton Towers and also all rides are include din the ticket price. As grandson can be nominated as a carer he can enter free of charge so another bonus. It is looking better, but queues scare us however grandson may be willing to queue for an hour to go on a ride as he can be a bit of a daredevil.

Attached picture shows hie launching himself of the side of a cliff onto a slide that takes you across the gorge. I got the heeby jeebies just watching him!
.Oribi Gorge.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have since found out that one can rent a mobility scooter for the day at Alton Towers and also all rides are include din the ticket price. As grandson can be nominated as a carer he can enter free of charge so another bonus. It is looking better, but queues scare us however grandson may be willing to queue for an hour to go on a ride as he can be a bit of a daredevil.

Attached picture shows hie launching himself of the side of a cliff onto a slide that takes you across the gorge. I got the heeby jeebies just watching him!
.View attachment 4226
I seem to recall that when our grandchildren went to Alton Towers it was possible to pay extra to circumvent the long queues. This was about five years ago.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts