BIGGEST TV?

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Good Morning all,

I am wondering what is the biggest tv that will fit my factory fit tv mount without any modification in my swift challenger 625 se 2015.

Has anyone fitted a 30 inch for example.

Thanks.👍👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good Morning all,

I am wondering what is the biggest tv that will fit my factory fit tv mount without any modification in my swift challenger 625 se 2015.

Has anyone fitted a 30 inch for example.

Thanks.👍👍
Does the Owners Manual give any information. Irrespective of size I think maximum weight would be more important. Sometimes the max weight is on a label affixed to the mount.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
:ROFLMAO:
We have a free standing LG TV on the front chest of drawers, but I have seen pictures of a 32" mounted in the bedroom area. Obviously a lot depends on the size of the caravan and whether the TV will be an obstruction.

Do not be surprised if you get comments like we never have TV in the caravan or why do you want a TV in a caravan. LOL!

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Cheers Buckman, yes i am waiting on those lol, tv is always a good option on wet windy days but i do agree with others at times it is nice to get away without it at times .

👍😁

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Buckman, yes i am waiting on those lol, tv is always a good option on wet windy days but i do agree with others at times it is nice to get away without it at times .

👍😁
Like you take a TV and it is useful I cannot understand why some folks get uptight, it’s a personal choice. That’s why TVs have on off switches.
We oft take DVDs and if one only wants to watch tv the other uses the sound deadening headphones and may be on the IPad or reading.

Reactions: PTA and ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

👍😁
As said we have a Smart 28" TV on front chest of drawers and Avtex 21" in bedroom area. We also have Sky in the caravan so have installed a HDMI splitter to feed HDMI signal to TV in bedroom.
Using Firestick we combine Sky and Firestick signal then signal goes into a splitter which then splits the signal so can also watch Prime, Netflix etc in bedroom area or front lounge. Can watch Sky and Netflix at same time if required, but have never bothered.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
One limitation is the spacing of the vesa mount on the bracket.

Another is the amount of articulation a larger tv will allow.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
BTW if buying a TV take into consideration whether you really need a 12v TV. Our 28" is a normal LG Smart TV bought from Richer Sounds and comes with a 6 year warranty. Worth considering buying from them.
During the winter we bring the TV into the home and use it in one of the other bedrooms.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The main limiting factor will be the weight the bracket can take, most sets will have the weight on the box. You also might need to check the room you have from the centre of the bracket to the nearest obstruction and make sure the set is not bigger than that.
Personally I prefer to keep the original packaging and use the car boot for when we are travelling to protect the set from damage. The car will normally be a far softer ride than the caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Personally I prefer to keep the original packaging and use the car boot for when we are travelling to protect the set from damage. The car will normally be a far softer ride than the caravan.
Good idea. We have ours in a padded bag which is then put on the bed under the duvet as we have an island bed. So fairly safe. In a caravan without a bed best is probably in a padded bag in the very front of the caravan on a bunk.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not the weight that the bracket says it can withstand that would concern me.

It's what it's attached to, which in most cases is a piece of caravan grade chipboard with the strength of a dry Rivita.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, the weight will be limiting factor; also consider what the bracket is attached to. My Sprite has no bracket points next to the 12v/Aerial sockets and the wall/cabinet material is not reinforced.

I've got a 32" TV at home; one of 1st generations of LED backlit TVs, so its very thin and comparatively light (most of the weight must be the stand), however, I wouldn't want to take that in the van as its still quite unwieldy in a small space. [Unless you have the Buccaneer or Swift with the deleted lounge window for the TV].

I purposefully purchased a smaller TV; a 22" 12v from Cello (Branded Ferguson). This means I can place it in either TV location and it will happily travel behind the drivers seat in a bubble wrap sleeve I made. A bonus is that as it was cheap, it weighs nothing and I'm not bothered if it gets damaged!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Lg TV is in a padded bag and put in the caravan wardrobe and it cannot move there we have pillows and blankets around it .

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had the Elddis Crusader Twin Axle we had a caravan tv mount put in because my wife had a accident some years ago in her car resulted in being diagnosed with cervical spondylosis we had two tvs one for the bedroom . and the other for the front lounge.

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
I have had a Swift Charisma 555 as a first van for the last 5 years.I was donated a used domestic 32" TV for use aboard. As any TV that is not steam driven it has inbuilt Freeview but is not " Smart".I traveled all around UK and have been to France and have no problem with the storage and operation .
I bought an external satellite dish and take the Sky+ box from home which gives me far more choice than an Avtex TV for the same price
I am about to change to a Challenger 580 and expect to be able to use a 28" in the space allowed .
If I had a wall mounted TV I would allways take it down for travel so why restrict youself to small screens?
I connect an external hard drive to my laptop and TV for films etc whem signals are poor (and WiFi as usual!).
I still manage to spend most time enjoying the outdoors but have had wet weeks in Wales and the West Coast it is still a relief to dry out and cosy up to a good program in the dark evenings.
TV's in caravans are a matter of choice (and apptitude) so why is it people think that it is different to your choices at home and pay a lot more money?

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
As far as I know TV mounts are a standard size, so as others have said the limiting factor will be weight limits for the bracket and the wall it's fastened to, and the amount of physical space available.

We have a 12v TV for the caravan, and we've never used it in 12v mode - however it gets used for lots of other things, including an extension laptop screen (I'm staring at it right now) and a remote video monitor for Mrs Gozza's dinner theatre business, when we HAVE used in 12v mode.

As far as storage and transport is concerned we have a TV transport bag, can't remember the name of the company it came from but they advertise in the caravan mags, company name is something like "Bags for Everything". Given that our previous caravan TV died of a broken screen in an in-transit incident (while being carried in the manufacturer's original packaging) I thought it was a worthwhile investment, and so far in the eight-or-so years I've had it, I've not been disappointed.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
...we have a TV transport bag, ... is something like "Bags for Everything". Given that our previous caravan TV died of a broken screen in an in-transit incident (while being carried in the manufacturer's original packaging) I thought it was a worthwhile investment...

Yep... Bags4Everything[.co.uk]

I looked at them for a Microwave Plate bag, but realised I could achieve the same result with a bubble wrap bag I had from some packaging for £0. Did the same with the TV with a large bubble wrap sheet made into a sleeve with duct tape, as the TV box only fits the TV with the base unscrewed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Microwave plate and pyrex dishes are always wrapped in bubble wrap stays in the car and the TV goes in a padded bag in the van wardrobe

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Got the “proper posh” bag with the an Avtex tv as a show deal. Just lay on the bed for traveling.

Microwave plate just goes in a draw.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our mix of Corel and IKEA equivalent bowls, plates travel in the caravan cupboards.
Hi OC i would never carry anything in the caravan cupboards we went to a caravan site last year going down a lane to the site there was more manholes and it shook everything in the van even the waste pipes came loose .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Never had a problem on that account despite some appalling roads and some tracks to CLs. Fingers crossed eh.
Same here, the only items that get bagged are the wine and beer glasses, they go into a normal 6, bottle bag, eggs are place ontop of the microwave plate in the microwave, and the TV goes ontop of the bed as near to center of the van as possible. Thankfully no breakages in this caravan.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
As far as I know TV mounts are a standard size, so as others have said the limiting factor will be weight limits for the bracket and the wall it's fastened to, and the amount of physical space available.

We have a 12v TV for the caravan, and we've never used it in 12v mode - however it gets used for lots of other things, including an extension laptop screen (I'm staring at it right now) and a remote video monitor for Mrs Gozza's dinner theatre business, when we HAVE used in 12v mode.

As far as storage and transport is concerned we have a TV transport bag, can't remember the name of the company it came from but they advertise in the caravan mags, company name is something like "Bags for Everything". Given that our previous caravan TV died of a broken screen in an in-transit incident (while being carried in the manufacturer's original packaging) I thought it was a worthwhile investment, and so far in the eight-or-so years I've had it, I've not been disappointed.
TV Mounts are VESA standard sizes. VESA is a standard used for TV brackets and wall mounting systems, adapted by most TV brands. Most common VESA sizes are 200 x 200 for TVs up to 32 inch, VESA 400 x 400 for TVs up to 60 inch and VESA 600 x 400 for bigger screen TVs such as 70 or 84 inch....

Reactions: Gozza2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts